Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-02-2004, 09:52 AM   #1
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

The forces of Nature

With hurricane Frances barreling toward the Florida coast packing winds of 145 mph, I started thinking about the power of mother nature. Last night on the Weather Channel, I watched a show called "Storm Stories." It was about the Xenia Ohio tornado of 1974 which was the most powerful tornado in history, beating out even ones that had occurred in the plains. It was an F5 with winds over 300 mph. It killed 32 people in an outbreak of 148 tornadoes in 8 states that day. 5 of which were F5 catagory killing over 200 total. The city of Xenia was destroyed, with damage estimated to be over 75 million dollars.

Although I have experienced being in or witnessing some major storms, I have never been in or seen a tornado.

What kinds of natural events occur in your areas and what experiences do you have with them?

azalea, what's going on where you live in Florida right now? I understand that Frances is expected to hit the Florida coast sometime tomorrow. And Florida is just picking up the pieces from Charley.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 12:51 PM   #2
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

And then there are those internal forces of nature!!!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 01:30 PM   #3
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

what, did you eat a bad hot dog on your vacation?

I'm in earthquake country. I've been thru 2 big ones and many, many smaller ones. They're quite impressive, especially the roar of the big ones. It's really weird trying to walk when one is going on, too!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 01:38 PM   #4
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Heehee... OK, I'll try to stay more on topic.

There are indeed a wide array of natural hazards. My dad has a place in North Fort Myers, FL... they didn't suffer too badly from the last storm (fallen tree - many neighbors fared far worse) - and now he's anxious about this one.

Southern Illinois, where I grew up, has heavy tornados at times. I saw an exhibit once - including part of a tree with a piece of straw sticking out of it... the wind had driven the straw into the tree! Most of the midwest is rather earthquake-free, but that area of southern Illinois, along with SE Missouri and W Kentucky, have the 'New Madrid Fault Line' running under them... and there'll be a big one along some day. I think one back in the 'old days' made the Mississippi River flow upstream for two days.

Chicago doesn't seem to have the earthquake threat - and tornados won't form with interrupted landscape - like with mountains or lots of big, tall buildings.

Then there are those folks who have volcanoes, heavy flash floods, etc.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 02:20 PM   #5
azalea
Long lost mooter

I've lived in 4 states in my life. Georgia gets a good many tornadoes, especially the area where I lived. It's not as bad as out west, but I spent many an hour in the basement or a closet there during bad weather. There is a fault line there, but it's generally inactive, and I only experienced one tremor while there (I slept through it, so it must not have been too bad! )
I lived in Massachusetts during a big blizzard in the '70s (lost power, snowed in, had to huddle in blankets by the fire. I was a little girl then, but I still remember how high the snow was outside our door!
In NC, we had a couple of hurricanes, but we were pretty far inland, and although we'd get lots of wind, we didn't bear the brunt of it. We had a few tornadoes there, too. The interesting thing about thunder in NC and FL (where I live now) compared to GA is that it sounds different. The best I can figure is that in north GA it is somewhat mountainous, and that must buffer the thunder "rolls," whereas in NC and FL where I lived, it is very flat, and the thunder just rolls and rolls. It's interesting.
Now here in FL we're dealing with hurricanes again, but it's different, because we're closer to the coast, and the homes here don't have basements, plus there's only one way out, Interstate-wise. So we're on edge a little more. I haven't decided whether to go up to Atlanta or just take the gamble that it'll avoid my area entirely, like Charley did. Since it's coming from the other way, we'd be getting the aftereffects if it comes this way, but that can be just as destructive and dangerous as the area of impact, but without the storm surge.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 05:33 PM   #6
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Belgium is relatively safe stormwise speaking. We get some storms, usually in winter but a few in summer as well. I'm quite happy it's not like the storms you can get in America, those are just scary. I remember there was a real freak tornado a few years ago in another part of Belgium. It sprung up out of nowhere and disappeared after a few minutes after wrecking two houses. During the normal storms, the most damage is done by falling trees.

Some of the trees on our street have been affected by a broken gaspipe a few years back and their roots have rotted away. They can fall quite easily. Last winter the two tops broke out of the firtree in the front yard and hit the little roof over our frontdoor. Luckily with little damage. Another tree fell across the driveway of neighbours just as the mother and her two daughters drove on it. The tree fell just behind their car, they were very lucky.

What does happen more and more frequently here during the last few years are floods. Luckily we live in a higher part of our town so we never had any trouble but a bit of water in the basement. The downside was that our basementfloor was covered by old rugs. It stank for quite a while. Yet I've seen and heard quite worse tales. One of the bakeries nearby had its basement with all the ovens, fridges and other equipment flooded to the basementroof. They had to close down for months. In a nearby town the flood prevention sewers had been neglected for years and filled up with mud and rubble. Those people had a flood nearly every rainfall and often had to reach their house by rowboat. It took years to get the sewers clean, I'm not sure they are even cleaned and ready today. There was a lot of red tape-trouble involved, IIRC.

The first high water levels I remember was when I was still in high school. On one morning I rode with my bike from our drive way onto the street to go to school and ten meters in front of me was this calm, flat, mirrorlike pool of water where the road must have been. It was a very odd, but memorable view. I wish I had taken a photo, it has never been that high here since. Stupidly I thought I could get through it but the road lay deeper there and I returned home with wet shoes. I was however one of the only ones to reach school that day, albeit by detour and with wellies on. When I returned home later that day the water had risen and at one point I pedalled through 30 cm of water. The water was gushing up through the sewer-manholes like a fontain in a pond! A few nearby kids were cheering me to reach the other side dry. I barely reached it before I had to step down from my bike.

Antwerp, the city nearby is built on the side of the river Schelde, each springtide the water rises over the quai so that a wall was built to protect the old city center from water. But on normal days the space behind the low flooddam is used for parking cars. I pity the man who forgets to move his car when the springtide rises, it just flows away and sometimes people do forget it.

Last edited by Earniel : 09-02-2004 at 05:37 PM.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 07:16 PM   #7
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Quote:
Originally Posted by R*an
what, did you eat a bad hot dog on your vacation?

I'm in earthquake country. I've been thru 2 big ones and many, many smaller ones. They're quite impressive, especially the roar of the big ones. It's really weird trying to walk when one is going on, too!
I live in "the northern part of southern California" (the San Fernando valley) but, since I was only three at the time, i don't remember the Northrige Quake. Then again, mom says I slept right through it . I do remember driving around the city afterwards, but even then I probably didn't understand what happened, even though I could talk by then.
Old 09-03-2004, 03:29 PM   #8
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Here in South Alabama, we mainly have to deal with tornados and severe thunderstorms. There have been several major floods in the last decades, too. And we do get the occasional direct hit from a hurricane (I think the last direct hit was Hurricane Opal in '95 [the eye came right over my house]). But at least the earth stays firm beneath our feet.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 03:50 PM   #9
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Nothing much where I am... Of course, we're sitting on top of several volcanos in Auckland, so if one of 'em ever decides to blow, we're screwed.

Auckland Volcanic Field
Old 09-03-2004, 06:56 PM   #10
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Ohio, at least where I am, gets a mixed bag of nature. We experience tropical weather and thunderstorm and tornadoes in the spring and summer. Beautiful autums. We may have arctic weather in winter sometimes. We even have earthquakes. Of course nothing like California. The last major earthquake I remember here was around 1986. The only thing we don't have here is valcanoes. We are even going to get remnants of this hurricane. Never a dull moment here, let me tell you.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 09-04-2004, 07:39 AM   #11
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

Finland is a rather safe country to live in when it comes to the Rage of Nature.. The biggest storms may make some trees fall and there has been more flooding this year than earlier. But nothing that would kill people.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 01:17 PM   #12
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

we get earthquakes here in Vancouver, nothing to big though. The only thing is that at any time we could have a huge earthquake, i think over 8.0 which would flood most of the Greater Vancouver area

Wierd Harry Potter quotes

the old nintendo duck hunt game

Lemmings

Swron

Random Homer Simpson Quotes
gollum9630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 12:14 AM   #13
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Well, for anyone in the Coachella Valley (where Palm Springs is) area it's probably best for them to leave. They predict a big earthquake between tomorrow and the 12th . And they're right next to the San Andres Fault. I was there yesterday, and that's when I was told about it. Hope my Grandma and Dad don't get teh full hit. The former lives in La Quinta and the latter in Indio.
Old 09-05-2004, 06:40 AM   #14
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Flash floods in China have killed 12, tidal wave expected on coast of Japan after 6.8 earthquake, over two million people evacuated from Florida.

And this is what we had to deal with a month ago:

http://galleries.news24.com/2004/New.../images/01.jpg
http://galleries.news24.com/2004/New.../images/13.jpg

Last edited by Andúril : 09-05-2004 at 07:38 AM.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 04:44 PM   #15
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

A hurricane is about to hit Jamaica and I have realative who have just moved out there.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 07:50 PM   #16
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Hmm, lets see.

I live in Iowa. Flash floods, severe thunderstorms (including lightening striking the ground), tornados, ice storms, intense blizzards, dangerous heat, West Nile Virus and droughts.

Fun.
Old 09-13-2004, 08:59 AM   #17
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starr Polish
Hmm, lets see.

I live in Iowa. Flash floods, severe thunderstorms (including lightening striking the ground), tornados, ice storms, intense blizzards, dangerous heat, West Nile Virus and droughts.

Fun.
Sounds like here.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 09-14-2004, 12:53 AM   #18
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

It looks like we're going to get the brunt of Ivan. Fun. My family might decide to get out of Dodge.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 08:44 AM   #19
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khamûl
It looks like we're going to get the brunt of Ivan. Fun. My family might decide to get out of Dodge.
Yeah, this is a big one.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 09-14-2004, 08:52 AM   #20
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

hope you'll be alright..

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote