Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-11-2003, 09:44 PM   #1
FoolofaTook
Elven Warrior

Kill Bill

I loved this movie. It was one of the most entertaining movies I've seen ever. I loved how Uma Thurman wore a yellow tracksuit like Bruce Lee's in Game of Death. Tarantino is a genius. I encourage everyone to go and see Kill Bill...unless they can't stand gore.
FoolofaTook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 10:18 PM   #2
Giroth
The Dragonqueen

what is the plot of that movie?I never heard.....

'So choose today whom you will serve..as for me and my family we wil serve the Lord.'

" Now if you were a hot dog,and you were starving,would ya eat yourself? I know I would! First I'd smother myself in brown mustard and relish..I'd be so delicious!"

It's pronounced 'Hether', not 'Heether', biznotch!
Giroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 09:03 AM   #3
Echthelion
Sapling

The plot is, basically, Uma Thurman was the victim of an attempted assassination by her husband Bill. She awoke from a coma with one thought in mind:

Kill Bill.

I hope that sums it up, and of course I hope I am right.
Echthelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 04:12 PM   #4
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

I heard an interview with the director. He says that each character is supposed to represent their own genre of movie that he grew up watching. Rather interesting fact, but I don't want to see it, unless I hear it's really good.
Old 10-12-2003, 06:16 PM   #5
Giroth
The Dragonqueen

Oh ok. Not too complex,but oh well Maybe it IS good.

'So choose today whom you will serve..as for me and my family we wil serve the Lord.'

" Now if you were a hot dog,and you were starving,would ya eat yourself? I know I would! First I'd smother myself in brown mustard and relish..I'd be so delicious!"

It's pronounced 'Hether', not 'Heether', biznotch!
Giroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 03:54 AM   #6
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

That raises a question about films which "reference" other films.

Buffs always rave about this and seem to take great satisfaction from being able to spot them in films. But is it great art or is it just lazy? Couldn't they think of something original?
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 07:09 PM   #7
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Can't wait until the second half.

I adore the way Tarantino's structured the movie. He's always had a penchant for non-linear storytelling but the "chapter" format of Kill Bill (and how it's used) is really something to behold.

The House of the Blue Leaves fight was a particular thrill to watch, not just because of all the various appendages coming off, but how artfully it was filmed. The part where it blinks into black-and-white (and the accompanying music) hearkened back to the samurai films of Akira Kurosawa in a very direct way that I appreciated. Then there was the part where it was done in silhouette, which reminded me - of all things - of the Cell Block Tango in Chicago... almost like a dance number with samurai swords.

I may or may not do a full review of this one (given that I'm pretty busy) but my overall impression of this (half of the) movie is that it's a keeper, worth at least another viewing or two, and definitely a buy on DVD.

(Though admittedly, some of the gratuitous violence - I'm referring the scalping in particular - was a little over the edge for my tastes...)
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 07:11 PM   #8
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Quote:
Buffs always rave about this and seem to take great satisfaction from being able to spot them in films. But is it great art or is it just lazy? Couldn't they think of something original?
There's a huge difference between a "reference" and a "rip-off", and you usually know one when you see one, but it's still unclear enough that you need to evaluate it on a case-by-case basis.

I don't remember which famous author said this, but it was along the lines of, "all the great stories have been told." It's a matter of making these stories better in the telling.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Old 10-14-2003, 04:37 AM   #9
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Agreed. I think there may be a similar quote along the lines that Shakespeare has already told all the stories that can be told.

I asked the question because it seems to be particular to film, rather than other art forms, and I don't really understand what it's about. I had a heated discussion with a friend about this wrt Buffy the Vampire Slayer (which is, according to her, loaded with filmic references).

In music, you'll get cover versions, sampling and fusion, but they're usually a process of blending into the whole rather than referencing of particular works at a specific point. Visual artists cite influences, but the intention is to be stepping forwards from the influence rather than referring back to them.

The example you describe of a Kurosawa reference seems very explicit by the usual standards, and visually arresting.

Anyway, Kill Bill sounds like top stuff. Can't wait to see it.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 01:05 PM   #10
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

The Buffy TV show (which I still find to be inferior to the 1992 film starring Kristy Swanson) does get some credit for making a reference to Trogdor the Burninator.

As for the black-and-white Kurosawa-esque bit in Kill Bill, as it turns out, that was the result of a decision made in order to evade an NC-17 rating that would have been slapped on the film had the gore in that sequence been in full colour. It's one of those editorial choices that produces a side effect of its own.

Old 10-18-2003, 01:22 PM   #11
gdl96
the greg the admin

When I went into the movie, I was ready to see a movie which I would probably enjoy somewhat, and walk out relatively satisfied. That's not what I got.

Kill Bill was one of the most entertaining and satisfying movies I've seen all year. I absolutely loved every minute, every aspect, every inch of samuri sword, every bit of dialogue, and every note of the music. This is the kind of movie you get on DVD and watch over and over and over again because it is so incredibly entertaining and enjoyable.

However, only one of my friends who I went with felt that way. Ben (bmilder) wasn't sure what to think, and my other two friends pretty much hated it. And the guy sitting next to me in the theater reeked of pot.

All in all, Kill Bill kicked ass.
gdl96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 12:41 PM   #12
Varda Oiolosseo
Tea Bag Queen

I wanted to go and see this film but it's an 18!! Damn it!!
So i will have to wait until it comes out on DVD.

It does look pretty good though.
Varda Oiolosseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 05:14 PM   #13
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

I saw it last night. Fantastic stuff. Tarantino still has the magic touch. I especially loved the bit with the fight in the snow garden - that was so beautifully filmed. Oh, and the bit where it cuts back to her after the animated short, and she's like, "Now, wiggle your big toe."
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 12:39 PM   #14
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

Quote:
Originally posted by IronParrot
The Buffy TV show (which I still find to be inferior to the 1992 film starring Kristy Swanson) does get some credit for making a reference to Trogdor the Burninator.
Really? COOOLL!!!!
Old 10-27-2003, 06:39 PM   #15
Brill
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Echthelion
The plot is, basically, Uma Thurman was the victim of an attempted assassination by her husband Bill. She awoke from a coma with one thought in mind:

Kill Bill.

I hope that sums it up, and of course I hope I am right.
Bill wasn't her husband, he was her lover and contractor (she was an assassin) At least that is what I got from it, cause they said the groom had been killed.

Not only was she almost killed, but she was pregnant and the subsequentially the baby died .

Uh, hm, well I thought it was funny. But again, the fake blood was often over the top, the plot was as thick as tissue paper and the dialogue was ...ICK!

But for a movie without what most good movies have, it was okay. I like the way the movie played out, the chapters were interesting, and I specifically liked the way they switched films. Meaning black and white, overlay (i think there was overlay anyway) and the cartoon.

OVERALL: Tarantino would be a filming genius, IF he had some better material.
Old 10-27-2003, 09:44 PM   #16
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Was it all terribly fake? Like Charlie's Angels? I know there's definately a lot of gore, but that's tolerable. Did it use a bunch of wirework and CG though?

I can't stand an unconvincing fight scene.

I may see it this weekend though.
Old 10-28-2003, 12:58 AM   #17
Brill
Elven Warrior

Of course, you've seen BAD movies that have the blood shooting out of a decapitated guys head, projectile style, up to 5 ft?

Yeah, 'nuff said there. It might not be as bad as I remember, but that's the impression I got of it. PLUS if you've ever seen alot of real blood before, it ain't that color.
Old 10-28-2003, 10:55 AM   #18
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

My friends said that they were quite disappointed by the movie. Didn't like it.
Old 10-29-2003, 07:58 AM   #19
Millane
The Dude

ummm brill have you ever thought the the over-the-top blood was intentional... it was supposed to be over-the-top and tarantino is a genius in the fact that he can go from comedy to disturbing. typically used in old samurai films, blood spraying out like that, i love it.
Old 10-29-2003, 12:26 PM   #20
Brill
Elven Warrior

Yeah, I did, because no one would be stupid enough to believe he did it on purpose?!?

Anyway, as I said Tarantino COULD be a genius, but he needs to get over himself. The only excellent movie he made was Reservoir Dogs, and I cheered when his character died. (Talking about "like a virgin" )