Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-24-2005, 06:29 AM   #1
ecthelion
Enting

What is the Tolkien need-to-read list?

I would say The hobbit, Lord of the rings, The Silmarillion, and then I'd get lost

What does "LOL" mean?
ecthelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 08:21 AM   #2
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Those are a good solid start.

If you have not done so - read the appendices in LOTR as well - there's actually a lot of information in them.

Beyond those, you could read 'The Letters of JRR Tolkien' and 'Unfinished Tales'. There are also a number of shorter works that are either ME-related ('The Adventures of Tom Bombadil') or otherwise relevant (JRRT's essay on Fairy Tales, 'Smith of Wootton Major' - 'Farmer Giles of Ham').

Then... there's the 12 volume - "History of Middle Earth" series. Enough to keep you reading for some time.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 02:22 AM   #3
ecthelion
Enting

Thanks V, I read them as I can get them, where I live they are not easy to come by...

What does "LOL" mean?
ecthelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 06:32 AM   #4
Maerbenn
Enting

This is my need-to-read list.
Maerbenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 07:34 PM   #5
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

*checks Maerbenn's list*

Wow! A bit too much for me

ecthelion, I would say Hobbit, LOTR, Sil, then Letters. Then Unfinished Tales. After that, it depends if you like the old elvish history better, or LOTR-type-stuff better. Some of the HoME ("History of Middle Earth") books cover LOTR development, and others cover elvish stuff like in the Sil. Personally, I like the elvish stuff, so I liked Morgoth's Ring, Peoples of Middle Earth, War of the Jewels, Book of Lost Tales 1 and 2, and Lays of Beleriand. I didn't buy the LOTR-development HoME books.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 04:38 AM   #6
littleadanel
of the House of Bëor

Arwen Undomiel

As for myself, I started with The Hobbit, hardly knowing what I was reading, I only knew that I liked it - and then the LOTR. It was a christmas present for my mum, but in secret I started to read and I just COULDN'T STOP! And then the Sil and Unfinished Tales (only Tolkien books available in the library), then serious hunting in bookstores.

So my list of <own> books: Hobbit, LOTR, Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales both in my language and in original, and The Lays of Beleriand in original because of The Lay of Leithian. I love it - one of the most beautiful things I've read so far... wonder if HoME is published at all in my language? it wouldn't be the same anyway lucky me, I mostly understand and really enjoy it.

And that's all. (ran out of money )

Anyway, The Hobbit, LOTR and Sil are really need-to-read then you can go on deeper and deeper...
littleadanel is offline   Reply With Quote