Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-12-2007, 11:42 AM   #1
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Gore and IPCC win Nobel Prize

Al Gore and the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change have been awarded this year's Nobel Peace Prize.

http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/p...aureates/2007/
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...ernationalnews

I'm sure you will all want to join with me and congratulate them on their work in raising awareness of the challenge posed by climate change.

Last edited by The Gaffer : 10-12-2007 at 11:43 AM.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 12:18 PM   #2
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Wow, he got the prize quickly. Although he's been involved with environmental problems for some time, it was still quite recently that "an Inconvenient Truth" hit theaters.

This is the first time I've successfully guessed a Nobel prize laureate in advance! I said Al Gore would win the Peace prize this year

Congrats to the IPCC too!
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 02:33 PM   #3
BeardofPants
the Shrike

This is awesome... keep up the good work Al & IPCC!
Old 10-12-2007, 03:10 PM   #4
D.Sullivan
Elven Warrior

Cool beans!
D.Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 06:22 PM   #5
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

While I think finally putting climate change and global warming in the public eye is an admirable acchievement, I do wonder whether the Nobel Prize for Peace isn't a bit too soon or a bit miscast. Global warming and peace are two different things. They definitely deserve recognition, but I'm not sure whether the Nobel Prize of Peace is the right one.

But congratulations for both the IPCC and Al Gore all the same.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:34 PM   #6
Jonathan

The Nobel Committee has certainly broadened its definition of peacemaking and I they're very right to do so. Peace, poverty and environmental issues are dependent of one another and in recent years that has been reflected by awarding the peaceprize to Wangari Maathai (in 2004, for her contributions to sustainable development in Africa) and the Grameen Bank (in 2006, for countering poverty in Bangladesh).

So I say kudos to the Nobel Committee for acknowledging that peace is less likely to be achieved if there's poverty and environmental problems.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:21 AM   #7
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

If they can give it to Mohamad el Baradei and the IAEA, then they can give it to Gore and the IPCC.

Too often we obsess about individual performances; it is important that we recognise the good work done in partnerships such as the IPCC.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:05 AM   #8
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Well, I suppose there's indeed a point there. Considering some of the past winners, the Nobel prize for peace does cover a wider category.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:03 AM   #9
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

I think they had to broaden the peace category because, unfortunately, the people who work towards it these days are few and far between.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:49 AM   #10
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins
I think they had to broaden the peace category because, unfortunately, the people who work towards it these days are few and far between.
That would also explain why Al Gore got the prize as fast as he did.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:15 PM   #11
inked
Elf Lord

Glad it wasn't a science prize!

http://www.entmoot.com/showthread.ph...&page=15&pp=20

#292 forward - gotta love those links!

I would consider this a "global smarming" award, myself! But congratulations, anyway! At least they didn't give it to him for "inventing" the Internet and giving peace a chance!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 04:09 AM   #12
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
"global smarming" award

But the IPCC do reasonably good science. Better than you!

Those cut & pastes you did on that thread are classic smokescreen.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:21 PM   #13
inked
Elf Lord

They are only classic smokescreen to people who don't know science, G. Just because the propaganda is artfully disguised in a movie as "science" doen't make it so.

Are you old enough to recall the 1960's science of earth moving into another ice age and "eternal winter" which humanity would have to survive?

This cyclic rerun of heat and cold is well attested in the ice core records.

But, I leave the research to you and yours. Just remember me fondly when the "ice age" debate rolls around in your later years and some whippersnapper on the 'Moot is recalling Al as contrapuntal to the then-current paradigm!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941

Last edited by inked : 10-16-2007 at 12:22 PM.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:08 PM   #14
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

No, I would stand by my statement that they are smokescreen. But I'll do you the courtesy of explaining.

1) You link to an article in National Geographic in which a scientist (singular) claims that Mars can be a source of data for studying how climates change. On the very same page, there is a link in which National Geographic summarises the evidence on global warming as "Yes it is happening and yes it is very likely caused by human activity", their Mars article notwithstanding.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...l_warming.html

So that would be a good example of citing isolated speculation, out of context, in order to exaggerate greatly the degree of uncertainty.

2) You link to multiple news agencies running the same story being dredged up from 80 odd years ago.

That would be a good example of double-counting data. And the data itself? See 1.

3) You link/pasted interviews with scientists who are critical of Gore and/or make assertions without any data to back it up.

That would be a good example of non-scientific data.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:03 PM   #15
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
No, I would stand by my statement that they are smokescreen. But I'll do you the courtesy of explaining.

1) You link to an article in National Geographic in which a scientist (singular) claims that Mars can be a source of data for studying how climates change. On the very same page, there is a link in which National Geographic summarises the evidence on global warming as "Yes it is happening and yes it is very likely caused by human activity", their Mars article notwithstanding.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...l_warming.html

So that would be a good example of citing isolated speculation, out of context, in order to exaggerate greatly the degree of uncertainty.

2) You link to multiple news agencies running the same story being dredged up from 80 odd years ago.

That would be a good example of double-counting data. And the data itself? See 1.

3) You link/pasted interviews with scientists who are critical of Gore and/or make assertions without any data to back it up.

That would be a good example of non-scientific data.
Well, at least we have good examples of something.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
sisterandcousinandaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 05:39 PM   #16
inked
Elf Lord

That's why it was a "peace" prize, guys.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:40 PM   #17
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
Al Gore and the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change have been awarded this year's Nobel Peace Prize.

http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/p...aureates/2007/
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...ernationalnews

I'm sure you will all want to join with me and congratulate them on their work in raising awareness of the challenge posed by climate change.

Congratulations to them!
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 03:54 AM   #18
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Hey Lief, how's life?
Old 10-20-2007, 12:22 PM   #19
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Very good, overall. Lots of debates in college . I'm writing papers right now about people who change from homosexuality to heterosexuality, and about Islamic extremism. Those are very enjoyable pursuits and are broadening my arsenal of data to use in future debates and discussions on those subjects. I'm having lots of fun and am doing a great deal of studying.

Today is an aberation (how does one spell "aberation"?). I feel extremely nasty and mean today *mopes and whines*. I feel worse today than I have in months *weeps piteously*. I've got to go to the Venting Thread.

But I'm glad you asked . You got me thinking about the good things that have been going on with me lately, and that has lifted my spirits dramatically. Actually, I don't think I'll go to the Venting Thread after all.

Consider your good deed for the day (or yesterday ) done!
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 10-20-2007 at 12:25 PM.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:05 PM   #20
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
Very good, overall. Lots of debates in college .
Tarnation! And we've been honing your skills for you all these years. Remember us when you're president, won't you?

Quote:
I'm writing papers right now about people who change from homosexuality to heterosexuality, and about Islamic extremism.
Wot no Awesome Animal News? You have not been paying sufficient attention.

Quote:
how does one spell "aberation"?
b-u-s-h
Quote:
Consider your good deed for the day (or yesterday ) done!
Ah well, that's great.

That made ME feel better, as it's the middle of the ******* night and I was feeling righteously indignant at having to do work.

But now I see the fruits of joy sown around the world.

See how much better it is when we don't argue? Maybe that would be your next debating challenge. Next time, instead of launching into a withering deconstruction of their very being, compliment them on their hair.

Last edited by The Gaffer : 10-23-2007 at 07:07 PM.