Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-19-2004, 01:57 PM   #1
Melko Belcha
Elven Warrior

New Line news

http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/8/1077156370

I was readying this about New Line trying to get the rights to The Hobbit. And I found this very distubing.

New Line says that if it can't do a deal with MGM, it may go back to the drawing board and either its own prequel filling in the period between "The Hobbit" and the first "Rings" book, or a sequel that follows on from "Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King." However, that option faces a number of potential complications, including the Tolkien family. While the family still benefits from sales of the books, they signed away their say on any films based on "The Lord of the Rings" or "The Hobbit" when Tolkien sold the rights to MGM. But a new prequel or sequel could be another matter.

Starting from scratch with a new story also would involve extending Tolkien's fantasy world without the Tolkien vision, and his fans may object. "To take some elves and short guys with furry feet and invent new challenges for them that aren't in the source material ... would be a betrayal of Tolkien and Jackson's achievements," says Houghton Mifflin's Harper.

So are they saying that even if they don't get the rights that it dosn't matter because their going to film something anyways? This is to me a disrespect to Tolkien and the world he created. I would hate to see anyone, even Christopher Tolkien, try to write a sequel to LotR, even more if it's in the hands of Hollywood, a place famous for making sequels that don't even come close to the originals.
Crist by Cynewulf (lines 104-5)
Melko Belcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 02:51 PM   #2
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

AGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH!

Considering that virtually everytime in the movie they strayed from the book they made it worse it's scary how bad such a concept could be. Especially when they tried to subsitute their words and ideas for Tolkien's. Let's hope it's just a bluff to get things moving on The Hobbit.

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!

Last edited by Tuor of Gondolin : 02-19-2004 at 06:18 PM.
Tuor of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 04:45 PM   #3
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

No. They cannot do this. Now the LotR films I can accept. But if they dare attempt a prequel or sequel that has nothing to do with Tolkien's visions then I don't know what I'll do......

That is just so disrespectful to Tolkien.

Quote:
"his fans may object"
May object! Of course they'll object..... They can't do this. And I hope your right Tuor... God I hope your right!
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 04:50 PM   #4
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Wouldn't a prequel or sequel pretty much have lots in common with Tolkien's vision? It would have to! Anyway, while a bit leery, I also find this exciting. I mean, if I attempted to do a prequel or sequel, it would be a pretty cool thing (really! )....and I'm not that knowledgable about films! There's lots of potential here, if done up well!

Last edited by Lizra : 02-19-2004 at 04:52 PM.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 07:35 PM   #5
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
"To take some elves and short guys with furry feet and invent new challenges for them that aren't in the source material ... would be a betrayal of Tolkien and Jackson's achievements," says Houghton Mifflin's Harper.
He echoes my biggest fear. I don't think they would be allowed to randomly make up a new movie.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 07:43 PM   #6
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

One way they might get around above problems could be to base a story on Aragorn's early meetings with Arwen, adventures in the east, and with Gondor and Rohan (I forget his aliases there).
Could be interesting, especially relations with young Denethor, if they hadn't messed up Denethor so much in the last movie.
Also, Gollum's "adventures" could be interwoven.
Someone really having a feel for LOTR and Middle-earth might do it, but I have strong doubts about PJ and Co.'s scriptwriting abilities.

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!
Tuor of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 07:53 PM   #7
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I guess I'm imagining all the great possibilities...not the stinkers.
Old 02-19-2004, 08:06 PM   #8
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

I think you guys should all just calm down and not get so worked up over rumors...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 09:22 PM   #9
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

if they do own the rights to LoTR it is conceivable that they could do a prequel based upon the tale of the years... some expansion of the forging of the ring and the war of the last alliance... of course they would run into trouble if they brought in info that was only mentioned in the silmarillion

if it was good i'd enjoy it... if not, i wouldn't watch it again... like fan fiction, i don't see any reason why it should be seen as disrespectful
Old 02-19-2004, 11:50 PM   #10
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

WELL THAT'S DOWNRIGHT BLASPHEMOUS!!! For PJ's own sake, this had better be a low-down publicity stunt by New Line to turn Tolkienites against MGM and therefore obtain rites to The Hobbit movie!! Because if it's not, someone will truly assassinate PJ within a week, i'm sure of it, whether he has control over the companies or not; eveyone already wants him dead. If they write their own Tolkien somebody's finally gonna carry it out and spear him through the fat gut.

*shudder* That makes me sick!
Old 02-20-2004, 12:41 AM   #11
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Bombadillo
WELL THAT'S DOWNRIGHT BLASPHEMOUS!!! For PJ's own sake, this had better be a low-down publicity stunt by New Line to turn Tolkienites against MGM and therefore obtain rites to The Hobbit movie!! Because if it's not, someone will truly assassinate PJ within a week, i'm sure of it, whether he has control over the companies or not; eveyone already wants him dead. If they write their own Tolkien somebody's finally gonna carry it out and spear him through the fat gut.

*shudder* That makes me sick!
Everyone wants him dead? Then why did the trilogy make over $3 Billion Dollars?
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 02-20-2004, 04:20 AM   #12
Mrs Maggot
Enting

Well i don't particularly like this idea at all… I think it's worth them waiting a bit instead of jumping in to something. the Hobbit is definitely the first thing hey should make into a movie, and then the Silamrillion if they were going to do anything. I think they need to think about it a lot more instead of just being blinded by the success of LotR into making something second-rate just to sell more tickets.
Old 02-20-2004, 02:22 PM   #13
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
Everyone wants him dead? Then why did the trilogy make over $3 Billion Dollars?
Grrrr... generally, a lot of people.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mrs Maggot
Well i don't particularly like this idea at all… I think it's worth them waiting a bit instead of jumping in to something. the Hobbit is definitely the first thing hey should make into a movie, and then the Silamrillion if they were going to do anything. I think they need to think about it a lot more instead of just being blinded by the success of LotR into making something second-rate just to sell more tickets.
Definately, and it probably won't be so attractive anyway, even to non-readers. There's still the matter of whether or not Sir Ian and Ian Holm will agree to making them, which I also doubt. Not to mention PJ would be going against everything he's ever said about sticking as close as possible to the books. He'd never be able to deny his fraudulece ever again, so he'd never agree to it either.

Last edited by Bombadillo : 02-21-2004 at 01:21 PM.
Bombadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 05:52 PM   #14
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

I really don't think PJ would want to create a completely new story, merely out of respect for Tolkien. If you watch or read any of PJ's interviews, he always speaks highly of him and always calls him "Professor Tolkien". I think this is NewLine's campaign and idea, if it's not a completely false rumor to begin with and I doubt PJ has any involvement in these statements...

--Linaewen
Old 02-20-2004, 09:42 PM   #15
Aragorn_iz_cool
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuor of Gondolin
One way they might get around above problems could be to base a story on Aragorn's early meetings with Arwen, adventures in the east, and with Gondor and Rohan (I forget his aliases there).
Could be interesting, especially relations with young Denethor, if they hadn't messed up Denethor so much in the last movie.
Someone really having a feel for LOTR and Middle-earth might do it, but I have strong doubts about PJ and Co.'s scriptwriting abilities.
That would be really neat if they could pull it off.
Aragorn_iz_cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 05:50 PM   #16
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuor of Gondolin
Another one could be them completing "The New Shadow" that Tolkien tried writing as the sequel to LotR's and only wrote about 10 pages, I know after reading that, it was like a super cliffhanger, as Tolkien was just about to tell us something and the story just stopped!!

--Linaewen
Old 02-24-2004, 07:48 AM   #17
Elvellon
Elf Lord

If they did a prequel (but not the Hobbit) or a sequel I doubt they would take much attention to what Tolkien wrote. As it is, in the two movies I did saw they took great liberties, far more than simply ‘the necessary,’ so anything would be possible, I can see it now, Minnie Baggins and the seven Jolly Dwarves High Adventure Musical

Reality is just an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

The Caffeine Mantra
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of Brazil that the thoughts aquire speed,
The hands aquire shaking,
the shaking becomes a warning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion...

Elvellon Erelion
Elvellon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 12:24 PM   #18
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvellon
If they did a prequel (but not the Hobbit) or a sequel I doubt they would take much attention to what Tolkien wrote. As it is, in the two movies I did saw they took great liberties, far more than simply ‘the necessary,’ so anything would be possible, I can see it now, Minnie Baggins and the seven Jolly Dwarves High Adventure Musical

Hi-Ho! Hi-Ho! Hi-Ho!

It should be easier for someone to bring the Hobbit to screen with little, if any, of the book being altered due to the Hobbit being a shorter and simplier story than LOTR.

If one looked at the RB cartoon version, I think it did a decent job of adapting the Hobbit to the silver screen. (Not perfect, but a decent job, IMO)

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 01:03 PM   #19
barrelrider110
Peer of the realm of Sanguine

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
I think you guys should all just calm down and not get so worked up over rumors...
I agree with Dúnedain. It's just posturing for negotiations. At worst, it's a highly unlikely scenario. I don't think it's going fool the suits at MGM either. There's too much at stake.

Fear Complacency!
Old 02-26-2004, 07:10 AM   #20
Troll
Hobbit

Was not there another movie (not by New Line) called Ancanar that was sttled in Tolkiens world?

I didn't hear they had problems with the Tolkiens when filming it...
Troller is looking for a response...ANY response, and he will chum the waters with complaints, insults, compliments, and inflammatory tidbits hoping that someone...ANYONE, will take the bait. Generally quite harmless - practices a form of catch and release. Nonetheless, he can upset the delicate ecology of a discussion forum. Once a forum becomes aware of his presence, however, all feeding activity ceases and Troller must move on to more promising waters.
Don't worry, I'm just a Cave Troll.
Troll is offline   Reply With Quote