Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-27-2004, 09:10 PM   #1
Azhag_Nuug
Hobbit

Another Story

I got this idea from the Hobbit, but it becomes very different. I have been working on this for a solid couple weeks. On paper it came out to be 22 pages, so I hope its the same on the computer. After a little editing and touch ups I hope to have the whole story done and posted here by March. Enjoy.

CHAPTER I
STRANGE COMPANY

Nilos, son of Milos sat in his sturdy old, wooden rocking chair, rocking forth and back, and back and forth, peering out of his window at the comings and goings of his own little corner of the world, where,
though lush and green, with no surprises or anything unexpected happened, he sometimes wished not to be, but travelling about in the wide world about him. He had never travelled over the Brockle River, which ran just ten leagues South of his home.
The light shone from about the rooftops of the clouds so high in the blue sky above. The beams of light sprayed about the grass and thicket, or the corns in Farmer Efgar's garden. All were happy on the bright September day, as Winter slowly crept nearer.
Never could Nilos leave his little home, far North of the cares of the world. His bright kitchen, with green-painted cupboads, and strong steel pans and pots, with the fine-carved wooden spoons. The copper kettle, and the built in fire and mantleplace above it, resting lightly. He was most certainly and upper class Ouron, as they called themselves in Ouras, Capital of Oudon, a small country North of Kayne, the Elder Realm of the world.
Ourons, are much like Men in some ways, but very different also. Firstly, they are far shorter. The average height is 2"4, which, in our eye is very short, yet, as small as they are, their homes are sometimes more than six feet high, built into high hills, or caves. Sometimes though they delved deep in the ground and built inside. The fasion is simple enough, with no stairs but the ones that go down into the cellar rooms, which some do not even have.
He sat in his cumfy old rocking chair, next to the window. It had as plain a design as could be seen, with no runes or anything special carved within it. Only a simple rocking chair, which he would sit in . He could never, even with the world urging him leave it. For fifty years he had loved it, and payed extra pieces of silver and bronze to the maker, he was to old now to work though, so it was good support.
The day was not yet passed noon, and all seemed normal as ever could be in his home, but something unexpected that day happened, which none ever intended to happen. A small company of Men, Dwarves, and Elves strode up on the dirty brick road, that ran from there to the Brockle Bridge, a few leagues West of there. They walked slowly up the hill, passing the hut next to Nilos'. There were two Elves, three Men, and four Dwarves. This was more than an odd sight, for normally, if ever there were, only one or two Dwarves would be seen going South, West, or wherever they wished. Never was there a mix of company like this.
Nilos flung open his bright blue door, with the bronzed knob, looking out at them and the world behind them. 'Pray tell,' he said, 'what thee strange wanderers are doing in this humble corner of the world?' They turned and looked at him, but only one Dwarf spoke.
'What our buisness is, is none of yours little boy,' he said with a squint-eyed look. His eyes were a deep brown, and his hair was long and frazzled. A cut up face he had, with a scar over his eye.
Nilos was furiated. 'No boy am I! I am an Ouron, Northfolk, and if you think I have no buisness with thee, then sadly mistaken are thee! I have as muh buisness as that Elf, or that Man!!' he said and shook his fist in anger.
The Dwarf growled, and went to say somethin, but another stepped forward and stopped him. Pushing him he stood and bent down on one knee, looking down at Nilos. 'I am Yuru, and apologize on my friends behalf. May he be forgiven,' he said.
Nilos smiled at him, and clapped his hands to the surprise of all including himself. 'Never, in all the years of mine nor the lives of any of my forefathers hath a Dwarf bowed before one of us. It is a truly marvelous sight,' he said with glee. ' I am Nilos, son of Milos, and I am yet curious, if thou doth not mind explaining to I?'
He stood and nodded his head, 'indeed no, but now we must be off, for there is much to be done now, and if we explained, we would need to stay long past supper, so nay young Nilos, not now.'
'And why should I not have company for lunch and dinner?

Come all in,
All Dwarf and Men,
Tall ones,
Short ones,
Elven friend.
King and Ranger,
Warrior, Sreanger!
All come through,
For here we brew,
Beer, ale and wine,
That tastes so fine!
Come all in,
Elf, Dwarf and Men!

Come all in, Elf, Dwarf and Men!!' Nilos repeated, and he chuckled to see them laughing with him. He ushered them in and so they did. The Dwarves were quite strange in their difference. Yuru seemed less clean, and more rugged. His dark brown hair was covered by a steel helmet, embodied with Dwarven jewels and gold. His boots were a thick leather, with no buckle, but they sat high up nicely on his feet. A large axe was wielded on his back, and two small hatchets for cutting and throwing on his side.
There was an old one, who walked bent on a wooden cane, broken and chipped, worn from old age it was. His hair was a very thin grey, and it was not covered by any hat or anything. His face was wrinkled and bent, to make him seem much older than he was. Silken cloth was wrapped around him, and golden-coloured lace strapped about his waist. Upon his head was a golden crown, gleaming and basking in the noon sun. It rose to seven small points, at which a jewel, each a different colour sat upon. It stood a foot or more above his old head, making him seem so much taller than he was. No weapon did he hold for he was a humble Dwarf.
There was another Dwarf, more cleansed, and wore clean, flowing clothes, with many Elvish runes and words sown into them. It was a strange sight, but nothing else was. He wore a quite ordinary pair of boots, with a gold buckle, and heavy chain armour under his leather padding.
A fat one there was also, less tall, but more built. He wore nothing out of the regular as they would say, but simple Dwarf fashion, and nothing more. A square helmet, and a heavy chain mail, with Dwarven letters in gold on it.
Old 01-27-2004, 09:14 PM   #2
Azhag_Nuug
Hobbit

'I will make some lunch now for thee. Sandwiches and meat for all!' he shouted and made for the kitchen. A hand grabbed him quickly, and he struggled, and turned to find that the elderly Dwarf sat there, holding Nilos' vest.
'Dear housekeeper,' he said with a raspy voice, as if being nearly unable to speak. 'Does thou have any soup, for I am an old person, and if thee have not seen, I have no teeth to chew fine bread and ham with,' he said revealing his pink gums, with no teeth sitting upon them.
Nilos smiled, 'indeed I do, and less than a half of an hour's time I shall take for your soup.' With that the Dwarf shook his hand and the little Ouron made into the kitchen to prepare the meals.
'That is Carfath, Elder Dwarf, leader of the Dwarven peoples of the Free Realms,' came a harsh voice behind him, and Nilos jumped up, spilling hot tea on his hand. As he turned he saw Yuru sitting there, leaning over the table. Nilos gave out a sigh of relief, and went into the dining room to pour more tea, then returned and sat across from the Dwarf.
'Indeed?' he asked, and Yuru nodded. 'Well never hath such a person entered any dwelling this far North of the Grey Hills, as it is called by us. Strange indeed I thought was his high crown, I expected royalty, but Carfath never in all years of the world,' he said, putting a kettle over the fire, and heading for the sink.
'Yes, he is not even a shadow of his former strength, and now his power dwindles. For eight hundred years he has lived. More than thrice a Dwarf's life. We are taking him West, to the ancient docks of Lingol. There he will set sail across the sea to Uumae, a great citadel on an island far North of here. There shall end the reign of Carfath, and he shall be buried, and alas! he hath yet to choose what Dwarf, whether I, Tarul or Porfendil shall take his place as leader,' he sighed, putting his head down.
A feeling of sorrow filler Nilos, for the old Dwarf seemed so happy and carefree. His passing would bring sadness to all in the world. 'Despair not, fair friend Yuru, for there are many leagues from here to Lingol, and indeed much time to use for thinking. Do not fear, for I am sure he shall choose you, and if not, then be happy for who he does.'

The minutes passed quickly, and at quarter past one they put the plates in the sink, and cleared the room and table. One of the Dwarves was still in the kitchen after all was done, putting his nose in the cupboards, munching on crackers and bread. When Nilos came in he stretched out his palm, full of crumbs. His smile was grand, and he still had some crackers in his mouth.
'I am Tahul, thon of Barhul,' he said, then swallowed his mouthfull of food. 'I apologize. My name is Tarul, son of Barul, Dwarven Shieldguard of Carfath, and thee are Nilos. A pleasent introduction,' shaking his hand he said.
'Well, Tarul, son of Barul, I deem thee have already introduced thyself with my pantry,' he said and the old Dwarf chortled, and quickly the two broke into speech of far of places, and doings not to far from home also. Nilos was mostly in the listening section, as Taryl spoke of lands unknown to all but a few. After stories and merriment, one song caught Nilos' ear.

'Sinbad, King of Seven Seas,
Lord of all the rivers,
Into darkness, into fear,
His enemies would shiver.
Sinbad, Lord of all the Lakes,
The Oceans,
Seas and streams,
His ship would sail,
At night, in day,
Into living dreams!
His name was feared,
And many he speared!
Sworded,
Hoarded,
Sinbad King of Seven Seas!
Lord of Oceans, Rivers, Streams!

'That is one of the many laments to Sinbad, Lord of Seven Seas. He was a great pirate, and his crew was feared and known all about the world. None could stand against he strength and intelligence. He invented and discovered many weapons. Few now though are even known to great warriors. Tis a shame,' he said and took a deep chug, drying his mug out.
Nilos sat, still in wonder at the song, pondering how truly great Sinbad was. 'Is he still alive?' he asked. The Dwarf gave a large cough, and looked at him.
'He passed into the Great Sea. He was, indeed powerful and wonderous, but filled with greed and danger. Eventually his heart grew so terrible, that he did not plunder villages and cities, but went for the great isle of Atlantis, greatest city known in the world.
The city sat on a large island, encircled by mountains. It was in a deep valley, so the water could never touch it. Within it stood people fairer and prouder than Elves. It was said that they were Gods, and that Atlantis was their city and home. Sinbad despised them. They were great Seamen, worthy of great navies and ships like no other, but they did not use them for fighting, nor for defense. Only for fishing and transports.
Sinbad took great advantage to this, and readied his fleet. Over five hundred great galleons and ships swam, utterly destroying the great docks. He settled on the shores, a few leagues from the mountains, and made for the city and its treasure. He though he had won, but victory could never be acheaved. The city was bound to the sea, and each blow to it weakend the island's support.
He soon overtook the city to a degree. They could not escape through the hills and mountains, for they were taken. After some of the city was seiged and destroyed, it began to sink Water poured over the sides of the mountains, and the city was overcome with it. As were Sinbad's men. His foolishness and greed led to his ultamite death, and the death of countless others.
So Atlantis, city of Gods sank to the bottom of the Sea, never to see the light of day again, and Sinbad sank with it. Thus ended his legacy, and his name has now, after many thousands of years has passed on, into legend.' He finished and took a deep breath. A long pipe he smoked from now, and rings came from his mouth.
Nilos sat in awe, as everything aroun him shrank into something insignificant. The story had left him speechless. Such lore as this he had never heard before.
'Rubbish is that, says I,' came a clear voice behind him. He turned and saw an Elf, tall and fair in the sunlight. His hair was long, and shining silver strands flowed down to his shoulders. He was clad all in white, a clean and gleaming robe, unstained or weathered from age or travel.
Tarul gave a grim face, and stood, puffing smoke into the Elfs eyes. 'Well master Elf, if it is such rubbish, explain to us why the city of Atlantis, lies at the bottom of the ocean!' he yelled in fury. The Elf backed away and turned, sitting at the far end of the table. 'I thought so,' said the Dwarf, and went back to talking.
Yuru stood from is seat, putting down his plate and cup. 'Now now,' he said. 'Let us be kind in the house of our host, for he is kind and modest to us, and has fed us good feed. To Nilos,' he said, and rose his glass.
'Three cheers!' joined Tarul. 'Huzzah! Huzzah! Huzzah!' they cheered, and little did they notice that the sun went down.
Old 02-05-2004, 09:06 AM   #3
Azhag_Nuug
Hobbit

For many more hours they talked with each other, but the Men, who had never joined in any talk nor merriment, had left into the study. They poured over books and sheets for hours, but Nilos cared not, for he was to busy drinking and speaking about. They spoke of many more things, and Carfath expanded on the story of Sinbad.
Yuru told tales of far places where he had travelled. Of his great quests, and kind deeds. He spoke of dark nights, seeking cover under mountains and hills, and his great sprints where he covered hundreds of leagues in short time. He reagailed of many joys and sorrows, and he came to a most strange story, at which Nilos wanted to hear more.
'It was, by my account, the hardest quest, or errand thee might say, I ever did. A small village near a small patch of forest summoned me from more than two hundred leagues away. For days I travelled, and when I came there, I learned my quest. "We've lost our only calf," said the old farmer. "She went off West, close to the Pethalas," said he. Indeed a strange request, but I went South nigh twenty leagues. I had forgotten the Pethalas, as it had been many years since I walked on it.'
Nilos was slightly confused. 'Pray tell what the Pethalas is, master Yuru?' he asked. All in the room had a good chuckle, even the old Dwarf sitting now, sipping his tea.
'The Pethalas, my young friend, is the Great Road. The longest path known in our large world. It stretches from the distant Sea on the Western edge of this world, no less than a thousand leagues or more from here. It stretches over untravelled plains and hills, paved by only the boldest. It crosses over Kain, a dark realm, taken by the Blackness from Athgar in Phelgoth, a terrible place, just South of Benten, and West of D'agul.
The road, though, it stretches far over the Northern parts of D'agul. From there it continues through the Men-ruled realm of Fierwey, a once great and prosperous land, but now it falls near its ruin.' The men scolded at him, but Yuru did not seem to care. 'Near the edge of that realm, it ends at the Part Roads. It is a small formation of rocks, hills, and trees, that stretches no more than twenty leagues, but in the center the road parts, as the name suggests, into two different paths. The South Mountain Road, which leads one hundred leagues North to Aeres Areth, a quite small chain of mountians nigh a hundred more leagues from here.
The other path is the Forest Road, which makes its way South towards Glorel Wood, then turns Westward towards the Woody Trail, and it dissapears and ends there, somewhere in the forest.' He took a deep breath and stopped. A small pipe from his pack ge drew now, and so two Dwarves sat and smoked.
Before he could start again, a heavy knock soon came on the door, and all stared intently at it. Again it knocked. Nilos rose then to answer it, but Yuru commanded him sit. Slowly he moved over to the door, as now a third knock came, heavier and more urgent this time. Yuru drew from his back a large axe. It had a heavy handle, with one sharp, pointed edge, and another more blunt. At the top and bottom of the handle, were two sharp points, for jabbing and stabbing with.
This time a large bang came unto the door, and it shook from the force. Whoever wanted in wanted in now. Yuru's axe was keen and long, and at last he swung it open and thrust his blunt side into a tall man. His hair was black and wavy on his head, and it flew into the air as he fell. His mail clanged under his green clad leather shirt. His tunic under was black, and his pants were a torn and stained blue, now turning brown and green from stain. On his side he bore a large sheath, and a gleaming blade was in it.
As he fell his head hit the stone pathway, and he was knocked out. Yuru looked scared and wary as he looked down at the man. He quickly put back his axe, and called the others to him in some Dwarvish language. Tarul, Yuru, and Porfendil, the third Dwarf picked him up and brough him over to a large sofa, and dropped him onto it.

Long did the Elves tend to him, but the other men cared not of him, and minded no word spoken to them. The Dwarves sat together and spoke quietly, and huddled together. Nilos though, of all happening was confused, and made his way into the kitchen, fixing himself a hot cup of tea. He sat at the long table, and peered around at his kitchen. No sun shone through, and only then did he see, that it was near midnight now.
'Dear,' he said to himself. 'This is indeed a day to go down in history. First a group of Dwarves, Elves and men come to my door, and eat and speak in my home, then after I miss dinner. Queer now is this world we live in,' he said with a small chuckle. A slight moan though he noticed as he laughed, and as he looked into the living room he saw the man Yuru had hit waking now. Quickly he stood and ran to his side, and the other Dwarves did the same.
'Ish morg khell bazum deiminu?' he asked, and soon they broke into talk of Dwarvish tongue. The others listened intently, and soon Yuru pointed to Nilos. 'This is Nilos, son of Milos, and this is Undat of the Southron Realm. Nilos has taken care of us for many hours now,' he gestured to them.
'A pleasure,' said the two at once to each other, and they shook hands. Undat rose and gave a large bow to Nilos. 'It is in our custom master of the House, to bow to thee,' he said and looked back up.
'Indeed never hath anyone bowed to me before, so indeed this is a mighty greeting,' he said and bowed back. Undat laughed, and so did the Elves with him, but Nilos asked not, he was happy the man had awoken, but now he felt very tired, for a long day he had lasted, and he good rest. 'If thee will permit, I'd best be off to bed, but if thee don't mind leaving, there's a mighty fine inn not half a league Southwards for ye to stay in,' he said, and slightly beckoned them out.
'Well indeed we would master, but we have lodgings, for only some. If thee would be curteous enough, a quick stay for tomight would Undat and I have? We'd be gone before the sun rises, and the beds will all be fixed.' Little consideration did Nilos give this, for indeed strangers they may be, they were more than friendly.
'Indeed, you may stay, but on one condition, and that is that Carfath sleep in my bed, for it is cumfy, and very very soft, and he would be better off here, than in one at the inn.' After he said it the Dwarves all looked to each other, and at last Yuru agreed, with Carfath's approval. "Very well then, to the inn I'm off, with a company like never seen before.'
So he, the two Men, two Dwarves, and two Elves trotted down the road, and at last reached the inn. 'Grey Tavern it's called, for reasons I don't know, but the innkeeper is a dear friend of mine, and he wouldn't mind some company, so let's be in to the inn,' Nilos said, and swung open the very large door, by the standards of him. It had two brass knobs, one higher up for Men and Elves, with one lower for a Dwarf, or anything else smaller than a Man.
As they stepped in, everything inside seemed fairly quiet, but that was for only the reason that Nilos, a respected and intelligeble person, had just allowed strangers in.
Arth, the innkeeper trotted over to his oversized bar, and was just eye level with the Men. 'Now tall and strange masters, what might I be doing for you this night?' asked he to them.

Everday I'll put more pieces up.
Old 02-05-2004, 09:10 AM   #4
Azhag_Nuug
Hobbit

'A room says ye? Only one? A bit queer for such a company of this size, but if that's what you want an argument won't be helping my buisness any. Right this way sirs, and lo! behold! if my eyes weren't so awake with ale I'd say I'm dreaming, for Nilos is with them. Queer times are coming about now. What is the reason, if I my ask that ye come here little friend?' he asked as he opened a wide door in the doorway.
Nilos wasn't surprised at his asking, but left the question unanswered. They went in, and the Dwarves unfurled blankets, placing large and fluffy pillows on them. They sat and looked, as the Elves trotted silently over to the beds, and the Men did so too. Four long, wide beds were layed on the floor. Large enough for two they were, so Nilos had to sleep next to one of the Men. His odor was foul, like rank from a pig sty. So the Dwarves rested down on the ground, the Elves took two beds, and the second Man took the third, with Nilos and the ranked one in the fourth.

They did not sleep though, and Nilos was glad. Perhaps if he were tired then the odor would not feel so foul. He sat on the ground, legs crossed and talked for some time. Porfendil introduced himself and the others.
'This is Luini, a good friend of hours, though in these days of late it is rare that a Dwarf and Elf are befriended,' he said, pointing at the taller Elf. He wore clean white garments, that were tied togther at the waist with a clear silken rope. His hair was a shimmering grey, and he had a fair face, full of age and memory. He seemed less kind, and more distant, and when talk or song broke out he sat. Not a very energetic Elf was he.
The second Porfendil pointed out, was a much less fair one, but more lean and built. His name was Klingil, and even the nam suggested to Nilos he was not of the High Elves. It turns out he was from Calon Hendar, one of the Mountain Elves. A rare breed they were known as, and Tree Elves had little dealings, or even anything with them. They led a much more rural, and happier life, rather than the way of life in Elzar the Fair City. His tunic were woven with a rough leather fabric, and it was a pale blue colour, with a tint of green. He wore long pants, that were a dark green colour, like leaves, and on his back he bore a bow. It was fair and lean, with many Elven runes on it, and it's string was made of a single horses hair. The bows were made of the sharpest steel, forged by Dwarves far South of the city. They were long and lean, a pale wood, with a single line of thin hairs on one side. His hair was a dark brown, but it seemed almost blonde, and his face was kind and gentle, with a warm feel to it.
'Greetings my friend. I am Klingil, and as you may have guessed I am from Calon Hendar. It is a fair city, though small it may be. It was once much larger, and there were many cities and towns all about the base of Mount Endas, but alas! now no more is it. Let us sit and regail on better times now, and we shall talk for many hours before we sleep,' he said loudly, and so he broke into talk of the city and its works. Even Luini seemed interested.

After a good hour of talk from Klingil, a small knock came on the door. Nilos answered, and saw Arth standing before him. He walked in and putting his head down muttered something under his breath, then said quite loudly, 'if you don't mind, many masters, I would indeed like to listen to some tales of places. All my other guests have gone and rested, and little is there to do for one so awake.' They looked at him and smiled, and he blushed.
'Indeed, indeed come and sit, and we shall have much ale yet,' cried Klingil. 'Now we should give these two little ones something to talk about for many years!' he said, and gathered them in.
'Now this is a tale, whether you believe or not, of many years ago, nigh three thousand,' said he. 'It began in Kayne, the Elder Realm of Old it is called in your tongue. The place was fair as any kingdom, and a great plain was there.
This tale is of the forming of the Great Realm, as short as can be put. Engel the Wise, was first to leave the Western lands of Enn, which is now called Phelgoth. He had a great citadel of stone and rock, built over near fifty years. He was great and powerful, and his people wrought great silver and gold from Ilgin, or now called the Razor Hills. They made great stone statues, and were all prosperous, but Engel the Wise, became greedy with power, and led his men, thousands across the Hills, and the Plains of Phelgoth, until they reached a large group of hills, where within the Black River passes through, and built a great city of Tevenar. It was made more fair and tall than any other building, but neveer did it surpass Athgar, Tower of Light in any way. The Tower was indestructible, and near the clouds was it's height.
He made Tevenar his Citadel of Rest, but journeyed on into what is now known as South D'agul. He led his people across the Plains of D'agul Southwards, and came upon The Veign River, which flows from a like South of Tevenar, towards Codun, which I will speak of later, but breaks into two small rivers. One flows to Elzar Wood, and the oter through Codun to Rast Lake, just South of Fierwhey, a Kingdom of Men.
They followed the Veign until it broke, then took the Northern river tributary. They passed then through Codun, and looke upon th greatest tower bilt, though they did not know it. Avanor, home of the beings of Codun. The Celmar, orin your tongue, the Cloud People. They are great creatures. Wisps of cloud, or larger, stronger clouds, that can take shape of anything. They can use immense winds to blow rocks from mountians, and bolts of powerful lightning to shape and destroy them. They were once great and fair, and walked among Men and Elves as their own, but now they live high, above the shield of smoke and vapour, unseen. No Man nor Dwarf, nor any other creature hath entered that Realm, nor looked upon the great stone structures mad there, for many a thousand year.
After passng through Codun, they took the Tunnel of Avanor, which stretches nigh ten leagues, and emerged near the Woody Trail it is called now, but feared the creature Grag. He was the greates evil beast known to all peoples. Though a Goblin he was, he mustered thousands and marched upon cities and towns, pillaging and burning. They dared not enter, for it was more than foolish to go into the enemies domain.
He took a quick sip of wine and continued. 'Thus they went Northbound, and crossed the South Wide, which is a large plain, left untouched by any being that makes. There are four different Wides in the world. The North Wide, is not thirty leagues out from your East Scape, the West Wide, just East of Aeres Areth. And the East Wide, which lies in Mar, a land far from here.

Somebody say something now.
Old 02-05-2004, 10:45 PM   #5
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

"Something"

Okay, I'd love to read it, but you need to space it out. In a book, it's fine to read it without clearly marked paragraphs, but online it's a headache.

Quote:
For many more hours they talked with each other, but the Men, who had never joined in any talk nor merriment, had left into the study. They poured over books and sheets for hours, but Nilos cared not, for he was to busy drinking and speaking about. They spoke of many more things, and Carfath expanded on the story of Sinbad.
Yuru told tales of far places where he had travelled. Of his great quests, and kind deeds. He spoke of dark nights, seeking cover under mountains and hills, and his great sprints where he covered hundreds of leagues in short time. He reagailed of many joys and sorrows, and he came to a most strange story, at which Nilos wanted to hear more.
needs to be:

(note me well, for I am the space that thou must put in)

Last edited by Tessar : 02-05-2004 at 10:47 PM.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote