Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-28-2004, 04:24 PM   #1
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Memorial Day Weekend

Well it's Memorial Day Weekend and I was wondering what people think about during this holiday. It seems like most of America's holidays - including 4th of July - it's mostly about picnics and fun, but people don't generally think about the meaning behind the holidays themselves.

Memorial Day is a time to remember the sacrifices of the US armed forces, present and past.

I want to wish everyone a Happy Memorial Day - but also let people know they should be thinking about more than just when that hamburger is going to be done on the grill.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 04:31 PM   #2
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Re: Memorial Day Weekend

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
Well it's Memorial Day Weekend and I was wondering what people think about during this holiday. It seems like most of America's holidays - including 4th of July - it's mostly about picnics and fun, but people don't generally think about the meaning behind the holidays themselves.

Memorial Day is a time to remember the sacrifices of the US armed forces, present and past.

I want to wish everyone a Happy Memorial Day - but also let people know they should be thinking about more than just when that hamburger is going to be done on the grill.
You're going for picnics in the Memorial Day? Isn't it suppose to be a sad day?
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 04:39 PM   #3
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Happy Memotial Day Weekend!
Old 05-28-2004, 04:42 PM   #4
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Radagast The Brown
No - we used to always go up to my cousins for a huge family picnic. Memorial Day weekend is the beginning of the New Jersey summer tourist season - so most people are thinking about the beach and the boardwalks.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 05-28-2004, 04:46 PM   #5
Beruthiel's cat
mystical divinity of Unashamed Felinity

Location: New York's beautiful North Coast -- we're all mad here!!!
Quote:
No - we used to always go up to my cousins for a huge family picnic. Memorial Day weekend is the beginning of the New Jersey summer tourist season - so most people are thinking about the beach and the boardwalks.
Also, it is designated a three-day weekend and people have extra time to get together and can travel farther to get to family and friends.

It's good to remember the sacrifices of our servicemen and women, but we should also bear in mind the freedoms that these sacrifices have brought us and enjoy our days off with people we care about.

"Never try to out-stubborn a cat!" -- R. Heinlein

~~~~~~~~~

"But I don't want to be among mad people, " Alice remarked.
"Oh, but you can't help that," said the Cat; "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here." ~~ Lewis Carroll

~~~~~~~~~~~

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana...
Beruthiel's cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 04:49 PM   #6
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Re: Re: Memorial Day Weekend

Quote:
Memorial Day is not a sad day, but a day of recognition to our fallen soldiers in all wars. Many go to cemeteries for ceremonies and salutes and put flowers and flags on their graves along with other loved ones that have died, not necessarily in battle.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 04:51 PM   #7
katya
Elven Maiden

That's thoughtful of you, JD.

Here's my weekend: friday: school, nothing (sleep)
saturday: work
sunday: work
monday: work

(I'm not wondering when the hamburger's going to be done on hte grill- I'm wondering when the plate is going to be done in the dishwasher)
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 05:10 PM   #8
QueenAnnesLace
Elven Warrior

I am fully aware of what Memorial Day is about. I am reminded every year around or on my birthday. My B-day is on Memorial Day but it is observed on or the Monday after or before May 30th. My Dad is in the American Legion and ever since I was little I've went out on that weekend and put flags on all of the veterans' graves with my Dad. But I tend to focus on what I'm doing to celebrate my B-day instead of all that. But I make my constributions as far as it all goes.
QueenAnnesLace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 05:14 PM   #9
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by katya
That's thoughtful of you, JD.
Thanks. I figured since it's Friday and the traffic has now started on the Garden State Parkway with people heading down to the Shore I would post this. Maybe I should go down there and welcome the Bennies.

It's sad you have to work. I know my cousin works at a grocery store and he has to work a lot of times on holidays like this.

BC - I'll do fun things this weekend and I think everyone should - but I just wanted to remind people to remember what the holiday is about.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 05-28-2004, 05:17 PM   #10
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Re: Re: Re: Memorial Day Weekend

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
Memorial Day is not a sad day, but a day of recognition to our fallen soldiers in all wars. Many go to cemeteries for ceremonies and salutes and put flowers and flags on their graves along with other loved ones that have died, not necessarily in battle.
Quote:
The Memorial day here is sad. There are 2... errrr.. sirens(?), which are heard all over the country, and in which everyone stop whatever they do and stand still, thinking about the soldiers. There are more some things in the parliament, ceremonies, etc... It's considered saddest of day in the year, with the Holocaust day.

Happy Memorial Day then!

Last edited by Radagast The Brown : 05-28-2004 at 05:28 PM.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 05:19 PM   #11
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
I'm going to a local Renaissance faire tomorrow, and I work on Saturday and Sunday.
Old 05-28-2004, 05:41 PM   #12
katya
Elven Maiden

Oooh, I went to a Renaissance faire last summer....there was this crazy hippy guy trying to tell me about the vrtue of some polygon, and that I'll need his weird dress/skirt/shirt/pants thingy to get into never-never land or Oz or something.
Quote:
Thanks. I figured since it's Friday and the traffic has now started on the Garden State Parkway with people heading down to the Shore I would post this. Maybe I should go down there and welcome the Bennies.

It's sad you have to work. I know my cousin works at a grocery store and he has to work a lot of times on holidays like this.

Yeah, I'm not complaining (after all, I need the cash), but it'll be a little tiring. With school and exams and all...

Actually, I didn't hardly realize that Memorial Day was coming up, but I was thinking about soldiers and all that earler today. Regardless of how I feel about Bush or any of that, a lot of those guys were very brave and honourable, each in their own way. I'll keep it in mind...
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 06:19 PM   #13
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Memorial Day Weekend

Quote:
The Memorial day here is sad. There are 2... errrr.. sirens(?), which are heard all over the country, and in which everyone stop whatever they do and stand still, thinking about the soldiers. There are more some things in the parliament, ceremonies, etc... It's considered saddest of day in the year, with the Holocaust day.
That's a nice tradition, Rad. I like that. I wish it was a little more thoughtful here, but it's really transformed over the years into a fun 3-day weekend with barbeques and picnics and family get-togethers and the like. People still put out flags at their houses, tho. But when I was young, we would go to military cemetaries and put flowers and flags on the soldiers' graves, and it was a solemn time, and a time to be very grateful for our blessings that had been bought by the sacrifice of our soldiers.

Thanks for the reminder, JD - I had a busy weekend all planned out and had forgotten to pause and reflect on the meaning of the holiday.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 07:59 PM   #14
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Memorial Day is about the Indy 500, here close to Indianapolis. The veterns are honored also!
Old 05-28-2004, 08:26 PM   #15
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Well I for one am shrugging off the imminent threat of suicide bombings weve been told are just a matter of time and all the rabid cicadas and Im going down town (washington, DC) tomorrow for the WWII Memorial dedication so I can pay some respects to whats left of The Greatest Generation in person. Im suddenly amused that the guy who has been yelled at in other threads as an america hater and someone who should leave the country is the only one doing an actual formal memorial day event like that among all this talk of barbecues and partying with family and friends. but im barbecuing too so ill shut up about that... Anyway, my only real connection to WWII is that my grandfather served during the war in Italy. I found this website where you can find living veterans that may have known your relatives. Im hoping ill meet one or two tomorrow who may have served along side him.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 09:43 PM   #16
jerseydevil

That's not really true IR - I did think about going to Washington DC for the World War II memorial - but I don't have the $100+ to spend on the train ride right at the moment. As of this moment - I have no idea what I am doing. So you may not and most likely are not the only person doing a formal Memorial Day event.

I went to the USS New Jersey (the most decorated ship in the US Navy, which has been in every war from World War II to the first Gulf War) before I went to Canada, so I don't feel like doing that right now. I went to the Trenton Barracks two weeks ago when my father was out here - that was where Washington defeated the Hessians and is the only surviving barracks from the French and Indian War. Even going there is a way of celebrating the sacrifice of the military who have fought and served this country, but again - I don't feel like going there - I just went there.

I might go to the Princeton Battlefield - where Revolutionary War soldiers are buried and where the first US marine died. I am on the board of directors for the Princeton Battlefield Area Preservation Society, but then again - we have our meetings there every month.

Maybe I will go to Morristown National Park - where Washington spent two brutal winters.

It doesn't have to be recent wars that are memorialized to be doing something related to Memorial Day.

As it stands right now - I have no idea what I'm doing. But I may do something to actually celebrate the soldiers - or I might just do something that celebrates the freedom they have fought and died for and that we sometimes take for granted.

I go to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island on 4th of July. On July 2nd I might go into Philadelphia to celebrate the actual day of Independence.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 05-28-2004 at 09:47 PM.
Old 05-29-2004, 10:55 AM   #17
Beor
founder of the color blue

Memorial Day Weekend is where everyone gets drunk and has a good time in memory of the men and women who made it possible.

Happy Memorial Day to everyone!! Drink one for me (actually, if you dont mind drinking several for me, that would be cool. I havent had a drink in more than a year (give or take some), so it will take a lot. Thanks)

Last edited by Beor : 05-29-2004 at 10:56 AM.
Beor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 12:03 PM   #18
Troll
Hobbit

Happy memorial day to everybody!

Are there similar celebrations in other countries?
Troller is looking for a response...ANY response, and he will chum the waters with complaints, insults, compliments, and inflammatory tidbits hoping that someone...ANYONE, will take the bait. Generally quite harmless - practices a form of catch and release. Nonetheless, he can upset the delicate ecology of a discussion forum. Once a forum becomes aware of his presence, however, all feeding activity ceases and Troller must move on to more promising waters.
Don't worry, I'm just a Cave Troll.
Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 02:10 PM   #19
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Memorial Day Weekend

Quote:
Originally posted by R*an
People still put out flags at their houses, tho. But when I was young, we would go to military cemetaries and put flowers and flags on the soldiers' graves, and it was a solemn time, and a time to be very grateful for our blessings that had been bought by the sacrifice of our soldiers.
I still do, my grandpop was in WW2 so every year we take him upstate to this one military cemetery. (it is in his hometown)
Ragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 02:22 PM   #20
Lady Ravyn
Thief Queen of Entmoot

happy memorial day!
i'm going to be in a parade on sunday with the pipe band. we play amazing grace at a cemetary then continue on with the parade; it's nice. afterwards we go to my grandma's house for a picnic with my family
on monday i'll watch the first parade i've ever seen! i've been in about 20 parades a year for the past three years, but i have yet to actually see one. it'll be the first parade my little brother has ever been in (he plays the trombone in a band) so i'm excited for him

hope everyone else has a good weekend!

Proud Member of the Evil Mooters and upstanding citizen of the Planet Bob!

And all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be...

My Space!

Cynicism is what happens when a person opens their eyes; stops blinking in the sun, and starts wondering "why". Question everything, believe only that which you yourself deem true. Go ahead- Call me cynical.
Lady Ravyn is offline   Reply With Quote