Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-11-2005, 12:41 PM   #1
Olmer
Elf Lord

Who were Bilbo's three companions - the dwarves?

It says that Bilbo left Hobbiton and travelled with three dwarves.
Who were they?
I suppose the one has to be Dori, but the other two?
Olmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 03:22 PM   #2
Maerbenn
Enting

Gimli

As far as I know, the Dwarves are only named in a draft version published in HoMe VI: The Return of the Shadow:
Quote:
‘Is everything ready?’ Bilbo asked. ‘Everything packed up [added: and labelled]?’
‘Everything,’ they said.
‘Well, let’s start then. Lofar, you are stopping behind, of course [added: for Gandalf]: please make sure that Bingo gets the letter on the dining room mantelpiece as soon as he comes in. Nar, Anar, Hannar, are you ready? Right. Off we go.’
Lofar is here a fourth Dwarf.
Maerbenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 04:13 PM   #3
me9996
Ring-smith

Location: Either walking across Rohan or riding through Fangorn forest
Strider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maerbenn
As far as I know, the Dwarves are only named in a draft version published in HoMe VI: The Return of the Shadow: Lofar is here a fourth Dwarf.
Case closed.
Has no authority whatsoever
Master of messing up
Master of spoiler tags

Thread killer
Ring smith

Merry Christmas!
They'd never say that (Part 2)

What happened to the dragon?
me9996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 06:20 PM   #4
Olmer
Elf Lord

So , we can speculate, that if this dwarves came all the way from the Lonely
Mountain to aid Bilbo in organization of his birthday party, it means that they are not just random dwarves, but the dwarves with a special relationship to Bilbo. I assume that they were the sent sons of the seven remaining Bilbo's companions, who were especially close to Bilbo, like Dori, for instance.
I just can be sure about only one dwarf - Gloin: his son definately was not present at Bilbo's party.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:01 PM   #5
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Gandalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olmer
So , we can speculate, that if this dwarves came all the way from the Lonely
Mountain to aid Bilbo in organization of his birthday party, it means that they are not just random dwarves, but the dwarves with a special relationship to Bilbo. I assume that they were the sent sons of the seven remaining Bilbo's companions, who were especially close to Bilbo, like Dori, for instance.
I just can be sure about only one dwarf - Gloin: his son definately was not present at Bilbo's party.
Is there any particular reason you were curious about the Dwarfs that went with Bilbo?

Could it not be possible that they were dwarfs that Bilbo never met before and were not related to the remaing dwarf companions? They may have been dwarfs that were available to assist Bilbo on his journey.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 07:34 PM   #6
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrand1r
Could it not be possible that they were dwarfs that Bilbo never met before and were not related to the remaing dwarf companions? They may have been dwarfs that were available to assist Bilbo on his journey.
Although it would be strange, IMO, for Bilbo to go off wandering with Dwarves he never met before.

The ordering from all the gifts from the Lonely Mountain and Dale that were distributed during his birthday party would definitely mean that Bilbo had to have some contacts with the Lonely Mountain, maybe he met these Dwarves that way. *just speculating*
Old 03-13-2005, 01:08 PM   #7
Olmer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrand1r
Is there any particular reason you were curious about the Dwarfs that went with Bilbo?

They may have been dwarfs that were available to assist Bilbo on his journey.
I'd rather incline on thinking that "old friendship never rust"

Besides, I was puzzled by the fact that Bilbo for some time was just "wandered off aimlessly" with dwarves, who, seems at least for half-year, didn't mind to follow Bilbo wherever he'll fancy to roam. This is not just
an availability to assist. It's something more - the willingness to stay with Bilbo, something which remainds me about Merry and Pippin and their readiness to go off with Frodo "on mad adventure".

This brought me to the thought that it has to be something special between Bilbo and the dwarves then just an agreement to go together to Dale.

Last edited by Olmer : 03-13-2005 at 01:10 PM.
Old 03-13-2005, 03:57 AM   #8
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maerbenn
As far as I know, the Dwarves are only named in a draft version published in HoMe VI: The Return of the Shadow: Lofar is here a fourth Dwarf.
Yes but here Bingo is Frodo. This could mean that Tolkien later changed his mind and made Dori one of the Dwarves.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote