Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-01-2003, 12:41 AM   #1
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Interracial dating

What are your thoughts in general?

Does the sex of the races involved play a differences?

Does in matter which races are involves?

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 01:43 AM   #2
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
For me as an individual, race does not matter when dating/romantic relationships/marriage is involved. Race is nothing more than physical features, and true love should transcend that. Also, race is just a color/feature, and someone with darker or lighter skin than I is no more superior or inferior.

Sadly, I think most general opinion is still at least slightly against it. I know for a fact that my stepgrandfather (mom's stepdad) is vastly against it, and thinks that people should "stay within their own kind". It sickens me.
Old 12-01-2003, 02:26 AM   #3
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Starr Polish
Sadly, I think most general opinion is still at least slightly against it. I know for a fact that my stepgrandfather (mom's stepdad) is vastly against it, and thinks that people should "stay within their own kind". It sickens me.
I think that is mostly older generations. I don't think most people born after the 60's or 70's think anything about it. I think it is the minority who has a problem with it.

As for me - I have no problem with it whatsoever. It doesn't matter at all.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 12-01-2003 at 04:47 AM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 02:30 AM   #4
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Inter... what?

Okay... So, clue me in here. Are we talking Elves and Humans, Humans and Orcs? Elves and Dwarves? Orcs and Hobbits? What? I mean, sure, not all race combinations might be viable.

Er... That's not what you mean, you say? I'm afraid I'm at a loss then. I can't possibly think of any other races that are different enough from each other to make a difference.
Old 12-01-2003, 04:41 AM   #5
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

No problem with it at all. I've been in a couple interracial relationships, one of whom I almost married. I am very attracted to other races, not that I am not attracted to white women, as I am, hehe. Color doesn't matter to me...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 07:50 AM   #6
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Thank goodness times have changed. This kind of question could easily make people freak out 50 years ago.
Old 12-01-2003, 01:41 PM   #7
Ruinel
Banned

Sort of on topic but not really. One of my friends in college once showed me a picture of her mom, who was white. We had chemistry classes through Organic Chemistry together, that's three semesters we were friends. And she didn't show me the picture or tell me her mom was white until the middle of Organic Chemistry. I asked her why she never had never mentioned it or anything, because she talked about her family often. She said she wasn't sure how I'd react. We'd been friends through thick and thin, long nights studying and labs that barely produced the right results, I'd even supported her when she got braid extentions ($200 and 4 hours of sitting in a chair) and they were so tight they gave her headaches and she got clippers and cut them out, buzzing her hair down close to her scalp. So I found it odd that she was afraid of my response. Why would I even have a problem with who her parents were?

To answer your question, AE: I personally find men in general attractive (I'd say more, but the kiddies are around). I mean, it doesn't matter what flavor they are, so long as they're tasty. hehehe Kinda like ice cream, you know if it's a good flavor only after you've taken your first lick.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 03:29 PM   #8
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
I personally find men in general attractive (I'd say more, but the kiddies are around). I mean, it doesn't matter what flavor they are, so long as they're tasty. hehehe Kinda like ice cream, you know if it's a good flavor only after you've taken your first lick.
*runs to a cold shower*
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 12-01-2003, 04:35 PM   #9
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
Why would I even have a problem with who her parents were?
well why did you ask her why she hadnt told you in the first place exactly? if you asked me (and Im mixed race) i would stare at you blankly and say well i never really thought i had to. same reason you dont tell me hey! hey! did you know?! did you know?! both my parents are white!! (assuming they are) ok.. who cares?

But I get your point though. It shouldnt matter at all and its good it doesnt to you. as for inter racial relationships im all for mixing of the gene pool! them more the better in my opinion. variety is the spice of life. and race doesnt exist anyway. just preference.

Quote:
Kinda like ice cream, you know if it's a good flavor only after you've taken your first lick.
well you know what they say. once youve tried chocolate....

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 04:55 PM   #10
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
well why did you ask her why she hadnt told you in the first place exactly?
It was because she had shown me pics of her siblings and her dad, but never her mom. And it sort of hurt me that she thought I'd have a strange reaction to it. After all, I considered us friends.
Quote:
well you know what they say. once youve tried chocolate....
ACK!!... must... control... self... must... be ... good she-Elf..... must NOt... corrupt... the young.... ACK!!!
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 06:56 PM   #11
BeardofPants
the Shrike

You're not a big fan of subtle flavour are ya?

I think I must be biased against different races, because I haven't slept with an alien yet. *farty noises*
Old 12-01-2003, 08:09 PM   #12
Ornelírë Mistë
Elven Warrior

Nothing against it. The Color of Water is an interesting read.

"Most people never been to Hell," Jacob said.

She looked at him and he could hear the smile in her voice. "And I suppose you have?"
Ornelírë Mistë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 10:12 PM   #13
gdl96
the greg the admin

Nah, race doesn't matter to me, although I do consider some races more attractive in general. But that's just personal preference.
gdl96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 12:19 PM   #14
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

My wife is Taiwan aborigine (Austronesian) , so personally I don't have a problem.

But what about general perceptions? I've always had a case of Yellow Fever; I remember travelling around Asia with a friend who was fairly indifferent to Oriental women, but totally went into heat in India- whose women as such don't particularly attract me- but then I'm not into busty blondes either.

Where does it come from ? Why do some people have attractions to particular racial types?

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 12:33 PM   #15
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by GrayMouser

But what about general perceptions? I've always had a case of Yellow Fever; I remember travelling around Asia with a friend who was fairly indifferent to Oriental women, but totally went into heat in India- whose women as such don't particularly attract me- but then I'm not into busty blondes either.
It's funny that you say oriental. This sort of belongs in the PC thread - but i figured I'd point it out here. The PC crowd says that you shouldn't call people oriental - oriental is only for inanimate objects. People are to be referred to as Asian. They claims Asians consider it offensive to be called Orientals.
Quote:

Where does it come from ? Why do some people have attractions to particular racial types?
I think it's the same reason why some people are attracted to long hair, or brown hair over blond, or any other attribute - it's just personal preference.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 12-02-2003 at 12:35 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 04:46 PM   #16
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
It's funny that you say oriental. This sort of belongs in the PC thread - but i figured I'd point it out here. The PC crowd says that you shouldn't call people oriental - oriental is only for inanimate objects. People are to be referred to as Asian. They claims Asians consider it offensive to be called Orientals.
I'm sure he would know, as he said he is married to a woman from Taiwan...

--Linaewen
Old 12-02-2003, 05:58 PM   #17
Elf Girl
Lurker

*sigh* A white friend of mine was dating a black guy... she really loved him and wanted to marry him, but her mother was against interracial marriage. So out of respect for her mother they didn't get married. And then he died and now she wishes they had gotten married while they still could.

Sorry. I guess it was kinda OT but the thread reminded me of it.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 07:51 PM   #18
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
A white friend of mine was dating a black guy... she really loved him and wanted to marry him
You where born in 1990. I assume your friend was quite a bit older than you .

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Old 12-02-2003, 07:56 PM   #19
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Something that I do find interesting is that I have never had a "good" relationship with a an American woman. The best relationships have all been born elsewhere.

Maybe too much of this

......The two American men are contemplating suicide because the American woman will not shut up and complains relentlessly about her body, the true nature of feminism, what the sun is doing to her skin, how she can do anything they can do, the necessity of fulfillment, the equal division of household chores, how sand and palm trees make her look fat, how her last boyfriend respected her opinions and treated her a lot better than they do, and how her relationship with her mother is the cause of all her problems, and why didn't they bring a cell phone with them so they could call 911 and get them all rescued from this godforsaken deserted island in the middle of nowhere... so she can get her nails done and go shopping.

'Dern Helm"

Old 12-02-2003, 08:18 PM   #20
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Originally posted by Ebony at Sf Fandom

I think it's wise that people be in the same 'place' in their lives. For example, if someone has grown children and gets involved with someone who has not yet begun a family, it could be just asking for trouble. I believe that when you have a relationship with someone, you should try to bring as few obstacles with you as possible. People should have as much in common as they can. I think this also applies to different cultures, religions, and values, and I speak particularly when entering a marriage. I believe that couples have a hard enough time getting over the differences they have without throwing extra ones into the pot. When people are young they think love will overcome all. But it doesn't. It gets stale, and the man that used to set your blood boiling just by looking your way suddenly can seem like an obnoxious pain in the tushy, or at the very least, you find you're suddenly living with your brother. So you and your 'brother' had best have as much in common as possible. JHMO.

Interesting post. Though I do know a few people who have not succombed to

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It gets stale, and the man that used to set your blood boiling just by looking your way suddenly can seem like an obnoxious pain in the tushy, or at the very least, you find you're suddenly living with your brother.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe it is because they have followed the the advice in the former part her post.

'Dern Helm"