Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-12-2005, 10:08 AM   #1
Pytt
The Supreme Lord of The Northern Eagles

The Delicate art of Parking

since there is no thread where this will fit in, I make a new thread one it.

http://www.thedelicateartofparking.com/trailer.html

whatch that. and you guys from america, is it rally that bad? are people, and you too maybe, so frustrated that they need to attack those parking people? have they not any respect for the police, it is a division of the police isn't it?
what do you guys think?
Old 01-12-2005, 11:09 AM   #2
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pytt

whatch that. and you guys from america, is it rally that bad? are people, and you too maybe, so frustrated that they need to attack those parking people? have they not any respect for the police, it is a division of the police isn't it?
what do you guys think?
As with everywhere there are jerks. I've never seen this occur and I've lived in 6 states and been to 40 of them. I've lived in Portland Oregon and Chicago. I have been to NYC, Indianapolis, LA, San Diego, Phialdelphia, Washington DC and numerous cities in between. NO WHERE have I seen parking attendants or parking enforcement get attacked. Of course it happens - just like people are assholes all over the world. However - this movie is a COMEDY and is FICTION. It amazes me that this is where people actually get their frigging perception of America is through these movies and Hollywood. And what even more amazes me is that by your post - people basically believe it.

I would personally like to know why you would think that a comedy is real life? or this movie portrays real life America?

[edit] I went further into the site. By the way - it was not even filmed nor takes place in America - but in Canada. Production notes I thought the characters looked sort of strange. So if anything - your question should be "is it really that bad in Canada". Sorry - I can only answer that as far as Ontario is concerned. Again - I have never seen any parking enforcement people get attacked in the many cities of Ontario - including Toronto.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 01-12-2005 at 11:48 AM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 11:53 AM   #3
Thingol's new Wife
Hobbit

the delicate art of parking

I thought the clip was stupid. Myself, I have not ever seen the phantom's that put tickets on my cars, yet I found myself with three just this year, for cars i don't even own anymore. Even if I did see someone do it, I don't believe I would attack them. I also don't believe that happens alot, maybe to people who park illegally all the time, and instead of paying the tickets, or parking legally .They fly into a rage. The clip reminds me of a person with alot of tickets trying to make all the poor guys out there look like jerks
Thingol's new Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 01:53 PM   #4
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil
[edit] I went further into the site. By the way - it was not even filmed nor takes place in America - but in Canada. Production notes I thought the characters looked sort of strange. So if anything - your question should be "is it really that bad in Canada". Sorry - I can only answer that as far as Ontario is concerned. Again - I have never seen any parking enforcement people get attacked in the many cities of Ontario - including Toronto.
I personally never thought this portrayed life in Canada! I happen to no it isn't so anyway. I'm sure there are some abusive jerks who spaz and attack traffic control people, but this is definitely not a common occurance. Probably isn't in the States either.

When I first saw the trailer, I thought it was a mockumentary - fiction filmed in documentary style. (As opposed to a real documentary.)

EDIT: Strange! I supposed you mean phenominally good-looking then eh?
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ

Last edited by Nurvingiel : 01-12-2005 at 01:56 PM.
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 02:12 PM   #5
Embladyne
Honourary Elitist Inklette

I've never seen "metermaids" get attacked by angry parkers, and it would be incredibly stupid to do so. I do understand the frustration of trying to find free parking, or just parking in general and having it be non existant, or parking in a two hour zone for just 3 minutes over the time limit and getting burned. But I wouldn't confront the person giving out the tickets, they are just doing their job, however heartless it may seem. A better strategy is to lobby for more parking spaces, or better public transportation. There's a lot more your money can accomplish when it's not going to pay for a fine.
Oh, I usually live in washington, the state, for reference of location.

My DA page

Last edited by Embladyne : 01-12-2005 at 02:13 PM.
Embladyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 04:23 PM   #6
inked
Elf Lord

Nurv,

You mean life in Canada is not like MAD TV? All the actors aren't like William Shatner? Don't tell me all the singers aren't Celine Dion

Well, I guess I shouldn't be surprised !
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 04:32 PM   #7
Pytt
The Supreme Lord of The Northern Eagles

ok, then I am just a stupid dumbass. thank you for saying so, JD. I thought it was real ...
Old 01-12-2005, 05:59 PM   #8
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
I personally never thought this portrayed life in Canada! I happen to no it isn't so anyway.
Hey - it was filmed in Vancouver and takes place there - so it must be the way Canada is. You know how everyone in world thinks they know about America because of the way it's portrayed in the movies, I assume the same goes for Canada and other countries. If it's in a movie it must be the truth.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 01-12-2005, 06:01 PM   #9
Embladyne
Honourary Elitist Inklette

Hmmm...Vancouver isn't so far from where I live when not at school. I've never driven there, just rode the skytrain several years ago.

My DA page
Embladyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 06:04 PM   #10
jerseydevil

Quote:
ok, then I am just a stupid dumbass. thank you for saying so, JD. I thought it was real ...
Sorry about that. I don't think you're a dumbass though. I just wanted to point it out the truth of it and I wasn't sure if it was another "let's all bash america" thread. Sorry if I was a bit harsh with you - but entmoot has been having the "anti-american" disease going around lately.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 01-12-2005, 06:07 PM   #11
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

Quote:

what do you guys think?
It is foolish to believe that things like this exist only in the U.S.A., I'm sure you could find things like this happening in every country of the world.

Last edited by Ragnarok : 01-12-2005 at 06:08 PM.
Ragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 06:19 PM   #12
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Even if this had occurred in America/was real, don't you think there'd be a REASON it's such a huge deal...as in, it doesn't happen that often?

Why do we hear more about plane crashes than car crashes on the news? Because it's NEWS.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:24 PM   #13
inked
Elf Lord

Stop it! Stop it! You are ruining my perceptions of Canada and journalism and the public in general!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote