Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-07-2004, 10:14 AM   #1
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

The healing ability of the Elves

The Elves were skilled in healing, much more so it would seem than Men. For example: when Frodo is wounded by the Morgul blade, Aragorn, although a skilled healer, is unable to do what Elrond could. And it took Glorfindel's ability to ease his pain and give him some comfort until they could reach Rivendell.

I am at a loss to understand why the Elves should be more capable healers than Men, since they knew no sickness. Although they could be wounded, their wounds healed faster and more easily, so because of their stamina, why would they need to be so skilled in healing?

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 10:29 AM   #2
Haradrim
The Official Court Jester of the Entmoot

you know you raise a good point sgh. I mean its not like they were alwasy tending to diease. I mean I would say about once a year they had to treat a disease because of some traveler who was sick. So why would they be so good at healing. Maybe its just cuz they have been around so much longer and are just naturally good at it. Or maybe its like a magical ability that they have or it could be that they are more intune with nature and therefore no more about the roots and plants that were there.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:36 AM   #3
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

I think I've read in Laws and Customs, that the healers among the Elves stayed away from activities such as hunting and warfare, since the act of killing diminished the power to heal. And therefore the majority of the healers were women. Not that it gives an answer to your question.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:42 AM   #4
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artanis
I think I've read in Laws and Customs, that the healers among the Elves stayed away from activities such as hunting and warfare, since the act of killing diminished the power to heal. And therefore the majority of the healers were women. Not that it gives an answer to your question.
Well, I don't know about the majority being women. Tolkien does seem to credit the Elves as being more skilled and specifically states in the Sil that Beleg was a skilled healer. He shows us that Glorfindel and Elrond were also very skilled.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 09-07-2004, 11:51 AM   #5
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

The only healer that was a women that it says in Tolien was Eowyn.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 11:59 AM   #6
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
The only healer that was a women that it says in Tolien was Eowyn.
Actually, Ioreth was a woman skilled in healing. But Eowyn and Ioreth were mortals, not Elves.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 09-07-2004, 01:39 PM   #7
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Golden Hair
I am at a loss to understand why the Elves should be more capable healers than Men, since they knew no sickness. Although they could be wounded, their wounds healed faster and more easily, so because of their stamina, why would they need to be so skilled in healing?
Very interesting point, SGH. I think that Elves were very sad because of their immortality (this is stated in many places) because they had to watch every mortal they loved wither and die while they stayed on, ever-young. So they tried to perfect their healing skills in order to preserve their human friends for as long as possible.
Beren3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 01:40 PM   #8
Telcontar_Dunedain

Maybe it was just something they were naturally good at like archery.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

Old 09-07-2004, 01:48 PM   #9
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
Maybe it was just something they were naturally good at like archery.
It is possible that they were more knowledgable about herbs and roots, because they were so in tune with nature. It is also possible as Beren3000 said, that they learned this skill to save their mortal friends, but I would think that Men were just as capable of becoming just as skilled in the art of healing as the Elves were, but it doesn't seem as if they ever achieved an equal or surpassing knowledge of it, and they had more reason than any to persue this art.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 09-07-2004, 01:55 PM   #10
Telcontar_Dunedain

Maybe they were, or the Dunedain at least. Before the fall of Numenor or the invasion of Arnor when they became wanderers.

Old 09-07-2004, 04:03 PM   #11
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Longevity of life-span could also be a contributing factor. They had more time to devote to the study of healing since they more than likely didn't have to worry about the time constraints that mortals do.
Old 09-07-2004, 04:14 PM   #12
Haradrim
The Official Court Jester of the Entmoot

well the elves couldnt get sick but they could get bruised cut and beat up. So I am guessing that warriors like Elrond and Glorfindel got very good at healing becasue they were damaged so much. Also in the case of Frodo the morgul blade's real damage was magical in nature and elves are adept at magical stuff so Elrond was able maybe to cancel it out. But those are just my thoughts.
Old 09-07-2004, 06:03 PM   #13
Artanis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Golden Hair
Well, I don't know about the majority being women. Tolkien does seem to credit the Elves as being more skilled and specifically states in the Sil that Beleg was a skilled healer. He shows us that Glorfindel and Elrond were also very skilled.
The majority could still be women, only we don't hear about them. This is from Laws and Customs:
Quote:
For instance, the arts of healing, and all that touches
on the care of the body, are among all the Eldar most practised
by the nissi; whereas it was the elven-men who bore arms at
need. And the Eldar deemed that the dealing of death, even
when lawful or under necessity, diminished the power of
healing, and that the virtue of the nissi in this matter was due
rather to their abstaining from hunting or war than to any
special power that went with their womanhood.
Old 10-09-2004, 02:14 PM   #14
Michael Martinez
Elven Loremaster

I think the Elves were better at healing because they had "magic" to draw upon. Their subcreative powers, being greater than those of Men, would enhance their ability to deal with disease as well as injury, even though they didn't suffer from disease themselves.
Michael Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 04:16 AM   #15
Artanis

I think that the Elves healing abilities lie in their ability to strenghten the fëa of an injured person, to the point where the fëa itself would be strong enough to heal the body, or at least strong enough to reduce pain and keeping up hope, as when Glorfindel helped Frodo.

The Elves could also be injured, sometimes severely, and even if their injuries were healed much easier and faster than Men, I would guess they also could need some extra strength now and then. I'm sure Maedhros was helped back to become his old self after Thangorodrim. And Celebrian's body was healed by Elrond after being tormented by the Orcs. But not even Elrond, her husband, could free her from the mental strain that she suffered.
Old 10-11-2004, 09:12 AM   #16
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Nazgul

i think the general thing is that they seem to be good at relieving physical strain, but nothing can totally cure mental strain, except fulfillment of whatever hope, or dream, the strain is tied to.
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 09:38 AM   #17
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

I've wondered if perhaps their healing ability stems from their greater understanding of the physical, created world. It could be the same part of them that allows greater success at growing plants and having relationships with animals, etc.

IIRC, didn't Tolkien mention somewhere (was it 'On Fairy Tales'?) that some had asked him about the 'supernatural' nature of Elves... and he responded to the effect that he saw them as 'more natural' - as in a part of nature - rather than supernatural - which would be other than nature - than Men?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 09:39 AM   #18
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Nazgul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
I've wondered if perhaps their healing ability stems from their greater understanding of the physical, created world. It could be the same part of them that allows greater success at growing plants and having relationships with animals, etc.

IIRC, didn't Tolkien mention somewhere (was it 'On Fairy Tales'?) that some had asked him about the 'supernatural' nature of Elves... and he responded to the effect that he saw them as 'more natural' - as in a part of nature - rather than supernatural - which would be other than nature - than Men?
that seems quite plausible indeed

BTW what does IIRC mean?
(been wondering for some time now!)
Old 10-11-2004, 09:43 AM   #19
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Child of Ungoliant
BTW what does IIRC mean?
IIRC - If I Recall Correctly (uh... IIRC, that is! )

What's 'ta'? (is it 'Thanks Alot'?)

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 09:45 AM   #20
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Nazgul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
IIRC - If I Recall Correctly (uh... IIRC, that is! )

What's 'ta'? (is it 'Thanks Alot'?)
ta? usually Thanks A Lot, yes,
ta muchly = thank you very much
ta very much = sarcastic thank you very much