Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-20-2004, 10:49 PM   #1
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

The Living Desert

Has anyone ever heard of The Living Desert zoo and gardens in Coachella Valley? I work there. I want to see if any 'mooters have heard of it, because a docent told me that people come from around the world to visit it. I know that that's partly true, once had visitors from South Africa.
The site:
http://www.livingdesert.org/
P.S. In the Teacup Cafe, who hid the post?
Old 03-21-2004, 04:07 PM   #2
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

I've never heard of it, but the animals look beautiful!!

I'm so jealous of you, cause you have a dreamjob.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 04:23 PM   #3
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

Wow, that's amazing. You're lucky to be working there. What job do you have there? Do you look after the animals or the plants?

I used to work at an amazing Garden too. Do you mind if I post a pic? It would be good for any other Mooter's to post pictures of where they work - if it's anywhere like The Living Desert Zoo.
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Last edited by Lalaith_Elf : 03-21-2004 at 04:28 PM.
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 06:02 PM   #4
trolls' bane

Go ahead!
Since I just began working as a volunteer this summer, I went to where all jr. volunteers go when they start: the Discovery Room, in the education building. My grandma works in the African village, Watutu, in the Petting Kraal. Lucky her. She gets to take care of Nigerian Dwarf goats, Nubian goats (the ones with the drooping ears), Spotted Jacob sheep, minature donkeys (forgot what kind), and Ankole (probably spelt it wrong) cattle. I used to help her there before I "officially" worked there, but I was always considered working there by most but Judy Greene and her spy janitor, plus all her other spies. But I work there now don't I? Take that, Judy Greene !!!!
Old 03-21-2004, 06:10 PM   #5
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

Cool. It sounds like alot of fun, and it is a very beautiful place - judging by the pictures on the web-site.

EDIT: I'll find a better pic for where I used to work.

^And this is the new tree-house that is being built, where I'm going to apply for a new job.^
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Last edited by Lalaith_Elf : 03-21-2004 at 06:13 PM.
Old 03-22-2004, 01:36 PM   #6
Beruthiel's cat
mystical divinity of Unashamed Felinity

Location: New York's beautiful North Coast -- we're all mad here!!!
Sounds like you have a terrific job opportunity, TB. You too, L_E!

I was wondering if you heard of another zoo in Carlsbad, New Mexico, known as the Living Desert Zoo and Museum? It is a New Mexico State Park. I've been there and found it to be one of the best zoos I've ever visited!

I don't know if this link will work, but it is the web address. (I'm not real good at posting/pasting links...)

It's worth a look. They only have animals that are native to the Chihuahan desert.

I love the Javalinas! I bought a little Javalina scupture while I was there and it is sitting on my desk right now!

"Never try to out-stubborn a cat!" -- R. Heinlein

~~~~~~~~~

"But I don't want to be among mad people, " Alice remarked.
"Oh, but you can't help that," said the Cat; "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here." ~~ Lewis Carroll

~~~~~~~~~~~

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana...

Last edited by Beruthiel's cat : 03-22-2004 at 03:04 PM.
Beruthiel's cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 02:55 PM   #7
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

Quote:
Originally posted by Beruthiel's cat
Thanks.
It is a very beautiful and magical place, quite amazing and it's not even finished yet!
Old 03-22-2004, 06:06 PM   #8
Nerdanel

Quote:
Originally posted by Lalaith_Elf
Cool. It sounds like alot of fun, and it is a very beautiful place - judging by the pictures on the web-site.

EDIT: I'll find a better pic for where I used to work.

^And this is the new tree-house that is being built, where I'm going to apply for a new job.^
Wow!! That looks amazing! I would so love to work in a place like that. That's my dream.

Lucky you!

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 03-22-2004, 06:18 PM   #9
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

Well like I said it's not finished being built yet - I don't know whether it's a computer image or real photo. I haven't been down in a while to see how the construction is taking place (it's open to the public at times). And I don't know if I get the job - I'll keeping my fingers crossed though!
Old 03-22-2004, 06:41 PM   #10
Nerdanel

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you, Lal!

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 03-22-2004, 06:49 PM   #11
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

Thanks!
Old 03-22-2004, 08:29 PM   #12
trolls' bane

Quote:
Originally posted by Beruthiel's cat

I was wondering if you heard of another zoo in Carlsbad, New Mexico, known as the Living Desert Zoo and Museum? It is a New Mexico State Park. I've been there and found it to be one of the best zoos I've ever visited!

I don't know if this link will work, but it is the web address. (I'm not real good at posting/pasting links...)

It's worth a look. They only have animals that are native to the Chihuahan desert.

I love the Javalinas! I bought a little Javalina scupture while I was there and it is sitting on my desk right now!
Never been to Carlsbad. Hmm, so that's why everyone calls TLD a museum!!!
Old 03-11-2006, 02:44 AM   #13
Lotesse
of the House of FĂ«anor

I'm bumping this here thread because not only is it a beautiful little thread, but it's in context of Coachella, the place in the California desert that holds the music festivals every year in late April.

Beautiful thread, trolls' bane & Lalaith Elf, & Nerdanel! I am so digging on that tree house scenario, there.

Anybody else around here thinking of going to/ has been/ knows about the Coachella music festival?

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Last edited by Lotesse : 03-11-2006 at 02:45 AM.
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 12:23 PM   #14
Farimir Captain of Gondor
Spaceman Spiff

Location: In the belly of a Firefly, living in Serenity is where you'll find me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
I'm bumping this here thread because not only is it a beautiful little thread, but it's in context of Coachella, the place in the California desert that holds the music festivals every year in late April.

Beautiful thread, trolls' bane & Lalaith Elf, & Nerdanel! I am so digging on that tree house scenario, there.

Anybody else around here thinking of going to/ has been/ knows about the Coachella music festival?
That isn't the Burning Man festival is it?

TB......INDY LIVES!!!! HOORAY FOR INDY!
Old 03-12-2006, 12:12 AM   #15
trolls' bane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farimir Captain of Gondor
That isn't the Burning Man festival is it?

TB......INDY LIVES!!!! HOORAY FOR INDY!
YAY! I went to see him today, since I was there for the fun of being there without anyone else, since half of the valley is in their bomb shelters eating canned food because of a little rain, so pretty much everyone there is out-of-towners who don't mind a little cold and moisture. I had an excellent time, and used up a lot of film on the many animals that were surprisingly out and active (especially the eagle, who was playing his equivelant of fetch, or at least trying to.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:19 PM   #16
Farimir Captain of Gondor
Spaceman Spiff

Location: In the belly of a Firefly, living in Serenity is where you'll find me
Quote:
Originally Posted by trolls' bane
YAY! I went to see him today, since I was there for the fun of being there without anyone else, since half of the valley is in their bomb shelters eating canned food because of a little rain, so pretty much everyone there is out-of-towners who don't mind a little cold and moisture. I had an excellent time, and used up a lot of film on the many animals that were surprisingly out and active (especially the eagle, who was playing his equivelant of fetch, or at least trying to.
An eagle who plays fetch, that's awesome! If you have any pics of this you have to send them to me. Use my e-mail account so that I can save them on my pc. I so envy you. I wish I could find a cool job working with animals. I could volunteer at the local shelter but that just depresses me and makes me angry.
Anyway, see if you can't get me some of pics of the eagle, fetching or other wise, and Indy and send them over.

Last edited by Farimir Captain of Gondor : 03-12-2006 at 09:21 PM. Reason: typo- it happens a lot
Farimir Captain of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 12:16 AM   #17
trolls' bane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farimir Captain of Gondor
An eagle who plays fetch, that's awesome! If you have any pics of this you have to send them to me. Use my e-mail account so that I can save them on my pc. I so envy you. I wish I could find a cool job working with animals. I could volunteer at the local shelter but that just depresses me and makes me angry.
Anyway, see if you can't get me some of pics of the eagle, fetching or other wise, and Indy and send them over.
Will do once I get them put onto disc (which btw is much cheaper than getting prints!).
*glances at large stack of film rolls waiting to be developed* That's everything I've ever taken with an SLR or otherwise, in those undeveloped rolls.