Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-17-2006, 09:01 PM   #1
frodosampippinmerry
Hobbit

Mushrooms (Just for fun)

Does anyone here love Mushrooms more than Hobbits? Are YOU A Hobbit? Do you eat more than four square meals a day? Hmmmmmmm? A teacher says Tolkien once wrote a fan and told her he was a hobbit. I believe it-just look at his picture- He even looks like a giant hobbit! Is it possible to eat 6 times a day without getting fat, granted, Hobbits were fat, but is it unavoidable to eat a meal every 2.66667 hours and not get fat? If hobbits were humans, why would they adopt such an unhealthful even gluttonous custom?
frodosampippinmerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 11:27 PM   #2
Olmer
Elf Lord

Fast metabolism. Some human individuals happen to have it too.

Last edited by Olmer : 02-07-2007 at 11:20 PM.
Olmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 06:21 AM   #3
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

aye.

Mushrooms are the best!

(CS Lewis is (was) a big fan too)
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 10:21 AM   #4
The Telcontarion
The one true King of the human race, direct descendant of Adam and heir to the kings of old. "You owe me your fealty." The Tar Minyaturion

Strider

AAHHHH, shrooms...I didn't know a wall could talk.

Ecclesiasticus 2:1-5
1 My son, if thou come to serve the Lord, prepare thy soul for temptation...
...4 Whatsoever is brought upon thee take cheerfully, and be patient when thou art changed to a low estate. 5 For gold is tried in the fire, and acceptable men in the furnace of adversity.

Romans 5:3
And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
The Telcontarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 03:33 PM   #5
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

not only talk the talk ...but walk the walk ...
Old 07-19-2006, 06:49 PM   #6
Alcuin
Salt Miner

Excellent cooked in red wine, butter, or with beef. Outstanding. I am very fond of mushrooms.

In Peoples of Middle-earth, “Of Dwarves and Men”, pp 326-327, footnote 51, a passage struck out of Unfinished Tales is recounted because Tolkien said it was “Too much like Hobbits”:
Quote:
To the astonishment of Elves and other Men they [the Drúedain] ate funguses with pleasure… The Eldar did not eat these things. The other Atani eschewed [mushrooms], save in great hunger … and the less wise called them ork-plants [uncertain whether this spelling is a deliberate hyphenation or not] and supposed them to be cursed and blighted by Morgoth.
I assert they are not “cursed and blighted.” But before you eat one, you’d better be able to tell the difference between the poisonous ones and the edible ones. Legend has it that Tsar Ivan IV (“the Terrible” – “the Awesome” is a better translation) was assassinated with a dish of poisonous mushrooms. And sometimes, even experts can die from incorrect identifications, especially in the case of morels: an error can be fatal.

I had a hard time eating my first – and only – morels. The chef assured me that they were indeed edible, and since I am still alive, I must suppose they were. They were delicious. But it took some soul-searching before I ate them.

It’s safest to buy mushrooms from the grocer.

Last edited by Alcuin : 07-19-2006 at 06:54 PM.
Alcuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 09:24 PM   #7
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Mushrooms sauteed in butter and garlic with steak...fantastic...

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 10:05 PM   #8
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

I LOVE mushrooms! sauteed in butter or olive oil and red wine is great! mmmmmmm!
Arien the Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 02:00 AM   #9
frodosampippinmerry
Hobbit

Any good wine or buttered musroom recipes that can be used in conjunction with barbacued marinaded steak? I have a steak and Pizza night and was wondering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcuin
Excellent cooked in red wine, butter, or with beef. Outstanding. I am very fond of mushrooms.

In Peoples of Middle-earth, “Of Dwarves and Men”, pp 326-327, footnote 51, a passage struck out of Unfinished Tales is recounted because Tolkien said it was “Too much like Hobbits”:

I assert they are not “cursed and blighted.” But before you eat one, you’d better be able to tell the difference between the poisonous ones and the edible ones. Legend has it that Tsar Ivan IV (“the Terrible” – “the Awesome” is a better translation) was assassinated with a dish of poisonous mushrooms. And sometimes, even experts can die from incorrect identifications, especially ithe case of morels: an error can be fatal.

I had a hard time eating my first – and only – morels. The chef assured me that they were indeed edible, and since I am still alive, I must suppose they were. They were delicious. But it took some soul-searching before I ate them.

It’s safest to buy mushrooms from the grocer.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:02 AM   #10
frodosampippinmerry
Hobbit

Could you Please provide a recipe?

Could you Please provide a recipe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem
Mushrooms sauteed in butter and garlic with steak...fantastic...
Old 09-06-2006, 06:04 PM   #11
Tulkas
Hobbit

i love mushrooms, the kind you eat with normal food and the other (better) kind

-Felagund, the greatest of the Noldo, and to walk Middle-Earth.
Tulkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 06:18 PM   #12
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

ah, both sorts of mushrooms have i tried and loved, but only the purely culinary variety do i now eat or drink ...

ah, mushrooms on toast with a good salted creamy butter and golden fresh toast, simple but homely and delicious!
Old 11-07-2006, 01:33 AM   #13
Tsimshian
Sapling

Edible mushrooms are my favorite but then I must wonder what species is the best. Chanterelles are good but so are Boletes, Craterellus, Matsutake, Maitake, Oyster, Prince, etc,etc.

I probably know of more mushrooms than the Hobbits and I could eat more of them too.
Tsimshian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 04:42 PM   #14
Anglorfin
Alasailon

I generally hate mushrooms. Can't get past the texture. The flavor I don't really have a problem with but if it is mushroom by itself I just can't chew it. But I will eat them if they are mixed in with other stuff, like steak. Favorite is filet mignon with a mushroom gravy and mashed red potatoes.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 05:13 PM   #15
Tsimshian
Sapling

I must ask then what mushrooms you have tried? For saying something as bold as not liking the texture of mushrooms is like saying you don't like the texture of all fruits and vegetables.

Some mushrooms have that characteristic mushy texture where as others are as firm and moist as chicken and are more comparable to meat in texture than anything else. There are multitudes of different fungal species each with their own unique attributes including texture.
Tsimshian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 05:24 AM   #16
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsimshian
Some mushrooms have that characteristic mushy texture where as others are as firm and moist as chicken and are more comparable to meat in texture than anything else.
Then recommend me some that don't have that characteristic mushy texture and I'll try'em out.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 10:56 PM   #17
Jon S.
Elven Warrior

Portobello is your classic "meaty" mushroom.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/portobe...rs/detail.aspx
Jon S. is offline   Reply With Quote