Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-15-2001, 12:15 AM   #1
biriwilg

Allowance

Hi! I was just wondering what everybody's allowance is. I get 2 bucks a week, and so does my older brother. I am planning to use these results to try and wangle a raise from my mom. Wish me luck!
Old 03-15-2001, 12:29 AM   #2
dunedain lady

Allowance

6 1/2 dollars per week, but then, I'm expected to pay for part of the trip to Italy I'm going on this spring, so it's not like I can actually USE the money for much besides the trip.

Hey, has someone changed the colors on this site? They're comming out reeealy funky on our new computer.
Old 03-15-2001, 12:36 AM   #3
Tar Melian

allowances

I've always heard the general rule of thumb, is 1/2 the age. For example, a 12 year old would get $6 a week.
Old 03-15-2001, 01:25 AM   #4
biriwilg

Re: allowances

I'm 12 and I get 2 bucks! Pathetic!
Old 03-15-2001, 05:35 AM   #5
Lief Erikson

Well how much do you do?
Old 03-15-2001, 05:41 PM   #6
Tar Melian

allowances

Biri, lots of kids don't get allowances, so don't feel gipped. That rule of thumb thing was something I read somewhere, who knows if it's actually practiced?
Old 03-15-2001, 06:44 PM   #7
Idril Celebrindal

um... I get £5 a week, which I use almost entirely to pay for my skating. although I have no idea what that is in dollars.
Old 03-16-2001, 05:57 PM   #8
X Rogue

Around $10, I think. Depends on the daily exchange rate of course.

I used to get around 5-10 a week in allowance, but not tied to any list of chores. The rule my parents had was " You are getting allowances because you live here. You are doing chores for the same reason." The only things I had to do were keep my room clean and swept, etc. and clean the bathroom I shared with my sister every other week. Other chores were assigned on the basis of who was standing around looking idle when it needed doing. As a result, both of us hid out upstairs some of the time. Extra or seasonal yard work ( digging flower beds, raking leaves) was cause for extra pay, at a given rate per job. Dad didn't believe in paying us by the hour as he thought us inclined to dawdle. Weeding and raking grass clippings and such were considered regular jobs and not cause for extra pay. Same with dishes, peeling potatos and other cooking chores.
Old 03-16-2001, 06:35 PM   #9
Bullroarer

bah

I don't get no allowance. You've got to earn money. Go babysitter you bellyacher
Old 03-16-2001, 08:51 PM   #10
biriwilg

Re: bah

I do dishes and laundry around the house, and occasionally mow the lawn before it can take over the house. If I mow the lawn then I get a $5 bonus. I would babysit but my mom thinks that everybody you don't know is a homicidal ax murderer, so...
Old 03-18-2001, 06:20 PM   #11
Idril Celebrindal

Re: bah

I babysit. It's no fun. I get paid quite well, but the kids I look after are pure evil.

I bath our half bald mitopic westie twice a week, and do various other jobs around the house, but don't get paid. I also work cleaning kennels at my paren't work (they're vets) sometimes, for which I get a minimal amount. Oh... and the dog I have to bath smells, gets fungal infections, and tries to bite you when you clean her ears. Don't feel too hard done by, I may get more money than you, but I don't ever have any spare.