Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-10-2005, 04:07 PM   #1
Daphne_daughter_of_Eowyn
Hobbit

Tom Bombadil Eowyn comparison

I felt SO sorry for Eowyn in the Two Towers and even more so when I saw the extended version. I just felt so embarrassed for her. I felt even more sorry in the Return of the King normal version when she declared her love for him and even more so when I saw the Extended Version of Return of the King. It broke my heart to see her unhappy.

I think that I felt more sorry for Eowyn in the film than in the book as we could see her pain and see what Eowyn actually looked like and how kind she was. It also showed us how brave she was and made people really realise how hard it must have been. In the book we have words, in film we can see.

Daphne_daughter_of_Eowyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 05:55 PM   #2
CrazySquirrel
Shape-shifting, men-grabbing NAZGUL

Welcome to the Moot, Daphne!

I chare your love for Eowyn character, but I think the movies don't do her justice. PJ made her plead for love... I can't stand it. She was proud, she was noble, she would not plead!

Again I don't like her terrified eyes when she faces the Witch-King. She should be crying, yes, but she came to Pelennor seeking glorious death. She was getting all she wanted. And it's a pity Tolkien didn't let her die.

Perhaps it is just me, but I disliked Miranda as Eowyn. She is too old, for one thing. and not the right type.
CrazySquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 09:41 PM   #3
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Gandalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazySquirrel
Welcome to the Moot, Daphne!

I share your love for Eowyn character, but I think the movies don't do her justice. PJ made her plead for love... I can't stand it. She was proud, she was noble, she would not plead!

Again I don't like her terrified eyes when she faces the Witch-King. She should be crying, yes, but she came to Pelennor seeking glorious death. She was getting all she wanted. And it's a pity Tolkien didn't let her die.

Perhaps it is just me, but I disliked Miranda as Eowyn. She is too old, for one thing. and not the right type.
I thought Miranda was a fine choice to play Eowyn. I could not tell her age from the screen. I would have guessed her to be from 24-36 from appearences. (might need another viewing since it has been a while since I have seen the films) Although I think she was about 35 during the filming of the films.

I agree with you that she should not have pleaded in the film.

Tolkein might have been thinking of Gollum as a reason for not having Eowyn die. I forget the exact quote "Many live who deserve death, many die who deserve life. Can you give anyone life? Then do not be so eager to give death."

In some respects events turned well for Eowyn: She found someone that loved her for who she was and she in turned grew to return that love.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 08:16 AM   #4
Daphne_daughter_of_Eowyn
Hobbit

Arwen Undomiel

She totally was too weak when confessing her feelings. I felt so embarased for her. I do think that Aragorn was very kind when letting her down easy and I liked the scene in which Theoden tried to comfort her because you could see how clsoe they were as uncle and niece
Daphne_daughter_of_Eowyn is offline   Reply With Quote