Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-12-2000, 09:36 AM   #1
easygreen

Eowyn

What a neat board this is! Over the years I've sort of stored up a lot of thoughts, opinions and questions regarding The Lord of the Rings. It's really fun to have a place to vent at last.

I was just reading The Return of the King the other day, and once again was really depressed when Eowyn stopped being her old shieldmaiden self and opted instead for domestic bliss with Faramir. This transformation from valkyrie to Donna Reed is the one part of the story I don't like.

And Faramir wins her much too easily.

Old 05-12-2000, 09:57 AM   #2
Fat middle

Re: Eowyn

ha! he won her easily, but i donĀ“t think he ever got to tame her

hmmm, who wears the pants in this home?
Old 05-12-2000, 02:59 PM   #3
RKittle

She'd lived for so many years nursing Theoden that I think it was probably easy for Eowyn to fall back into that type of servitude. I also think that she found the glory in battle that she had alway dreamed of and was completely disenchanted with it - she was greviously injured, Theoden was dead, and many soldiers she knew had also been killed. Plus, contact with the Lord of the Nazgul must have put a chill on her heart that lessened her yearning for battle.
Old 05-12-2000, 04:30 PM   #4
IronParrot

RKittle beat me to it.
Old 05-16-2000, 04:03 AM   #5
IronMongery

what do you bet they're gonna leave that whole part out of the movie? I guess they think they need all the romance they can get so they'll probably leave the two ofthem getting together just cut the part about her not wanting to slice and dice people to tangariens. besides the whole American population of spice girl listening, girl power girls would go crackers.

Old 05-17-2000, 08:26 PM   #6
Darth Tater

RKittle speaks the truth, and IronMongery, I share your big old "do'h!"
Old 05-19-2000, 09:08 PM   #7
etherealunicorn

Eowyn

Still, even if she is now embarked on wedded bliss(?) with Faramir and no longer a shieldmaiden, I'll bet that same grit and determination would come in handy to her adopted people, since I would imagine that the land they will rule is probably pretty war-torn. I have always heard it said that peace is a much harder occupation than war and that a peaceful ruler (or in this case rulers) must be strong, even more so than a ruler in war. And we all know that Eowyn is strong.