Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-26-2003, 07:46 AM   #1
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

Running out of ROTK

Sorry I haven't been on in a while, been bussy (actually I got on at school the other day, but didn't write anything or even sighn in). But I have this question:
I was thinking the other night about my favorite sceens in LOTR, both of them will be shown in ROTK (The Chouses of Master Samwise+the chapter where the ring is distroyed), and it made me sad to think about how I pictured these sceens in my mind would change to what the movie show's them as. So I was thinking about running out of the theater, when those sceens come up, and just stand out side and listen to what is said, and then run back in and sit down afterwards. Of course I'll have to sit close to the door, which might be distracting.... but... is anyone else thinking about doing this? Should I do it?

Movie vewing count from the theater:
Return of the King:9
Two Towers: 11
Fellowship: 13

FRODO LIVES!
samwiselvr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 08:21 AM   #2
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

I understand completely and that says something for me.....
Why not put your hands over your ears and humm when the scene comes on, oh and close your eyes, then try to guess how long the scene runs before resuming normal viewing. It won't really disturb other people (other than to cause them to dial 911) and you won't lose your seat.
Personally my mental images of scenes from the books are still the strongest even after seeing the movies.
Old 09-26-2003, 09:15 AM   #3
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

I think if you truly loved the books, and read them before you ever saw the movie, then the images in your mind are fixed, and they're yours, not PJ's. I read the books and read them so many times for so many years, that there was no changing the way I saw things, even after the movies.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 04:35 PM   #4
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Re: Running out of ROTK

Quote:
Originally posted by samwiselvr2008
Sorry I haven't been on in a while, been bussy (actually I got on at school the other day, but didn't write anything or even sighn in). But I have this question:
I was thinking the other night about my favorite sceens in LOTR, both of them will be shown in ROTK (The Chouses of Master Samwise+the chapter where the ring is distroyed), and it made me sad to think about how I pictured these sceens in my mind would change to what the movie show's them as. So I was thinking about running out of the theater, when those sceens come up, and just stand out side and listen to what is said, and then run back in and sit down afterwards. Of course I'll have to sit close to the door, which might be distracting.... but... is anyone else thinking about doing this? Should I do it?
I suggest you forget the movie entirely and go see a good shrink.
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 04:48 PM   #5
Entlover
Elven Warrior

Oh, harsh, BB!

Hey, Samwiselvr, do whatever you need to.
I can understand your not wanting to override your mental images with the film's. But that's not likely to happen. I can still call up my original Frodo image, and he's much different from Elijah's Frodo; I'm happy to have them both.
Your mind is stronger than you think.
Entlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 06:33 PM   #6
Agalayth
Elven Warrior

I agree with Entlover. If the picture in your head is as strong as I'm assuming it is, seeing the scene in the movie won't really change it.
Old 09-26-2003, 07:38 PM   #7
Elf Girl
Lurker

I probably won't see it at all for just that reason.

Of course, if I don't see it, how will I be able to participate in the BB vs. Purists debates that follow? Desicions, desicions...

Pay no attention to BB's comments about shrinks. He bowed down to the almighty film-version of the scenes without letting imagination stand a chance.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 05:19 AM   #8
Entlover
Elven Warrior

Elf Girl,
you have to see it. We've come this far, can't give up now!
Entlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 01:08 PM   #9
Evenstar1400
Elven Warrior

even though one of my favorite chapters in the book may not be in RotK (the scouring of the shire) im still gonna see it. be strong! sit through the entire movie!
Old 09-29-2003, 01:02 PM   #10
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

Okay, I geuss that I'll see it. I hope your right, at least I should picture it all differently when I read the book, if nothing else, that's what happens in the other chapters, though it's mostly in FOTR, because I saw that one before I read the books. Thanks!!! Gotta call up my friend and tell her that I wont run out! By the way, I'm at school right now

Movie vewing count from the theater:
Return of the King:9
Two Towers: 11
Fellowship: 13

FRODO LIVES!
samwiselvr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 09:18 PM   #11
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

school computers ARE good for something..

im with SGH..
although, i can make some comprimises.. sometimes i like how PJ portrayed a scene better than my imagination did. i guess it's just the close ups... they give you that intimacy/empathy feeling when used correctly.