Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-09-2001, 02:08 PM   #1
Fuor

Valinor to Middle-Earth, did the elves change!

In LOTR it is said that Glorfindel shows the power he had in Valinor when frightening (if thats possible) the Nazgul at the ford of Rivendell. What is that supposed to mean because in the Sil. it doesn't say anything about the elves changing when the Noldor came to middle-earth.

What do you think ????
Old 03-09-2001, 04:22 PM   #2
Captain Stern

I think you just misunderstood

The Elves who dwelt in Valinor were nurtured by the Valar so that they reached their full potential.

The Nazgul were scared of Glorfindel because he was so powerful and they obviously knew of his reputation ( He killed a Balrog although he too died )
Old 01-19-2004, 06:12 PM   #3
Twista
Orodruin's Flame

Was it not the Balrog whom slayed him?

Visit the Ye Olde Avatar Shop and The New One

Dont tell me what I cannot do

Two men are on a Island, they both see a "monster", one sees a bright light, and the other sees a dark cloud

My name bares no reference to the music artist.
Twista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 11:18 PM   #4
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

Glorfindal and a Balrog killed each other during the escape from the sack of Gondolin in the first age. Glorfindal's spirit was purged realtively quickly in Mandos and he was re-embodied sooner than most of the elves killed in the War of the Jewels. The purging apparently made his spirit more capable of taking lessons and pesonnal deveopment from the Powers in Valinor, and he returen to ME during the 2nd age, substantially more powerful than he was before.
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 10:38 AM   #5
Durin1
Elven Warrior

Tolkien mentions, via Gandalf to Frodo, that Glorfindel showed how he was on the "other side". Both a part of ME in physical form and as a representative of the "light" that pervades around Aman.

Don't forget that it is also mentioned that it showed a great Elf-Lord in his wrath.

Fingolfin has a similar demeanor when he goes to challenge Morgoth in single combat.

You don't want to mess with an Elf from Aman when he is seriously p****d off!
Old 01-21-2004, 03:07 PM   #6
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Durin1
Tolkien mentions, via Gandalf to Frodo, that Glorfindel showed how he was on the "other side". Both a part of ME in physical form and as a representative of the "light" that pervades around Aman.

Don't forget that it is also mentioned that it showed a great Elf-Lord in his wrath.

Fingolfin has a similar demeanor when he goes to challenge Morgoth in single combat.

You don't want to mess with an Elf from Aman when he is seriously p****d off!
Yeah, that description of Fingolfin is one of my favorite things Tolkien wrote:

Quote:
...and filled with wrath and despair he mounted upon Rochallor his great horse and rode forth alone, and none might restrain him. He passed over Dor-nu-Fauglith like a wind amid the dust, and all that beheld his onset fled in amaze, thinking that Oromë himself was come: for a great madness of rage was upon him, so that his eyes shone like the eyes of the Valar.
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 04:50 PM   #7
ethuiliel
Elf Lord

I think that Glorfindel didn't change when he came from Valinor to Middle-earth, but did change when he went from Middle-earth to Valinor. The changes that happened in Valinor made him more powerful. I think that there is something about Valinor that has an affect on people, especially Elves.

"'I would,' said Faramir. And he took her in his arms and kissed her under the sunlit sky, and he cared not that they stood high upon the walls in the sight of many. And many indeed saw them and the light that shone about them as they came down from the walls and went hand in hand to the Houses of Healing."
ethuiliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 06:59 PM   #8
Thorin II
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Durin1
That's what I understood it to mean, too. The Elves don't change when they go to Middle-Earth, but their auras are generally invisible.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:48 PM   #9
ethuiliel
Elf Lord

Quote:
That's what I understood it to mean, too. The Elves don't change when they go to Middle-Earth, but their auras are generally invisible.
That sounds about right. I didn't know how to word it, but that's exactly what I meant.

"'I would,' said Faramir. And he took her in his arms and kissed her under the sunlit sky, and he cared not that they stood high upon the walls in the sight of many. And many indeed saw them and the light that shone about them as they came down from the walls and went hand in hand to the Houses of Healing."
ethuiliel is offline   Reply With Quote