Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-03-2004, 03:47 PM   #1
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Computer games (aka "Am I alone? A geek-question")

Ok, I admit it, I play computer games. I am a geek. I even play strategy computer-games. And I have a bad feeling that I am alone. So this is a desperate cry for fellow geeks (or, if you have the right psychological skill, help).

Am I indeed alone in this wide wor..discussion-forum?!
Old 01-03-2004, 04:16 PM   #2
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I've been hooked since you were in nappies. Okay, prolly not, but my favourite game in the whole wide world is System Shock. And I don't think there's anyone on this site who has played it.
Old 01-03-2004, 04:47 PM   #3
Elfmaster XK
Possessive Villain Fancier

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
I've been hooked since you were in nappies. Okay, prolly not, but my favourite game in the whole wide world is System Shock. And I don't think there's anyone on this site who has played it.
Wrong. I have played System Shock I and II. I own them both. They rock, but scare the crap out of me. I don't think I ever finished SS II because I was scare of the psycho monkeys.

My fave. game in the world is Freespace (and it's sequel) but I haven't found anyone here who has played it.

My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies,
Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die,
I can fly - my friends.

XK
Elfmaster XK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 04:51 PM   #4
Falagar

You remember Space Quest and its sequels? Or Police Quest? Long time since I played any of those..

I used to play Star Wars: X-wing and Star Wars: Tie Fighter (I believe they resemble Freespace a bit). The ultimate geek-games, with the exception of Leisersuite Larry (which, I am glad to say, I have never played ).
Old 01-03-2004, 04:55 PM   #5
Elfmaster XK

Quote:
Originally posted by Falagar
You remember Space Quest and its sequels? Or Police Quest? Long time since I played any of those..

I used to play Star Wars: X-wing and Star Wars: Tie Fighter (I believe they resemble Freespace a bit). The ultimate geek-games, with the exception of Leisersuite Larry (which, I am glad to say, I have never played ).
I played X-wing, X-wing alliance and Rogue squadron. In fact, I played almost every star wars game there is. Except Tie Fighter because when I was younger I used to feel bad about blowing up the X-wings. I was weird. I don't remember Space Quest.

Anyone have a commadore 64 computer? You know the ones where the games were on cassettes and you have to wait about half an hour for it to load? bubble bobble was the greatest game ever

I can fly - my friends.

XK
Old 01-03-2004, 05:08 PM   #6
Falagar

Quote:
Originally posted by Elfmaster XK
I played X-wing, X-wing alliance and Rogue squadron. In fact, I played almost every star wars game there is. Except Tie Fighter because when I was younger I used to feel bad about blowing up the X-wings. I was weird. I don't remember Space Quest.

Anyone have a commadore 64 computer? You know the ones where the games were on cassettes and you have to wait about half an hour for it to load? bubble bobble was the greatest game ever
Yeah, thinking of fighting the Rebels wasn't a nice thought. But it was fun and X-wing was older (worse graphics). Plus the story was pretty good.

Ah, I used to play a bubble game as well, for PC, where you shot bubbled up on other bubbles to make them go 'bang'. The one with the two dinosaurs? Have played some Commodore-games, but never owned a commodre...
Old 01-03-2004, 05:57 PM   #7
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Quote:
Wrong. I have played System Shock I and II. I own them both. They rock, but scare the crap out of me. I don't think I ever finished SS II because I was scare of the psycho monkeys.

My fave. game in the world is Freespace (and it's sequel) but I haven't found anyone here who has played it.

Freespace, great game. I played and beat all the previous titles in the Descent series before I even heard of Freespace. But I picked it up and I very happy with what they chose to do with it. Remains as one of my favorite games to date.

I am a big fan of FPS. Basically anything that isn't Counterstrike. The only problem I have with that is there are a lot of whining idiots in multiplayer so I can't play for too long without getting angry at something.

I picked up Uru: Ages Beyond Myst last week and that game now keeps me up nights, even if I'm not playing it. Some parts are really frustrating but the world detail is incredible. Sometimes I just walk around looking at stuff without the intention of solving any puzzles.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 06:02 PM   #8
Falagar

Quote:
Originally posted by Anglorfin
I am a big fan of FPS. Basically anything that isn't Counterstrike. The only problem I have with that is there are a lot of whining idiots in multiplayer so I can't play for too long without getting angry at something.
You played Unreal Tournament [2003]? A bit violent perhaps.
Old 01-08-2004, 12:17 PM   #9
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

I'm not much of an FPS man at all. I'm not much of a PC gamer either, vastly preferring consoles (specifically, Nintendo's).

However, there are a handful of recent games I own for the PC that I adore and play way, way too much every now and then:

WarCraft III (and Frozen Throne)
Civilization III
Knights of the Old Republic

I vastly prefer the classic adventure genre, which has been long dead. Notably, these three LucasArts titles:

Grim Fandango (you MUST find it and play it if you can)
Day of the Tentacle
Sam & Max Hit the Road

Let me know if anyone else here wants to set up a WarCraft game sometime. I'm not very good.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 04:29 PM   #10
Giroth
The Dragonqueen

you are not alone........
i LOVE computer games!
especially ff7 and ff8 and age of empires.

'So choose today whom you will serve..as for me and my family we wil serve the Lord.'

" Now if you were a hot dog,and you were starving,would ya eat yourself? I know I would! First I'd smother myself in brown mustard and relish..I'd be so delicious!"

It's pronounced 'Hether', not 'Heether', biznotch!
Giroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 10:04 PM   #11
Celebréiel
Elven Warrior

Yeah as far as geekyness and loving computer games heck no your not alone. I Love all kinds of computer games, System Shock is a great game! Right now im playing Morrowind, and I love it!
Celebréiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 12:58 AM   #12
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Quote:
Originally posted by Falagar
You played Unreal Tournament [2003]? A bit violent perhaps.
I was never a big fan of the Unreal series. I always thought that somehow the gameplay lacked a really nice flow. Plus as later editions came out they started to add a lot of stupid things. I couldn't stand the sound effects cus everytime somebody died some voice would go "n00b" or "loser" and that got annoying really fast.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Old 01-09-2004, 05:24 PM   #13
Anonymous
Banned

I am so stupid. Sorry, will not happen again.

Last edited by Anonymous : 01-09-2004 at 05:25 PM.
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 05:27 PM   #14
Falagar

Quote:
I was never a big fan of the Unreal series. I always thought that somehow the gameplay lacked a really nice flow. Plus as later editions came out they started to add a lot of stupid things. I couldn't stand the sound effects cus everytime somebody died some voice would go "n00b" or "loser" and that got annoying really fast.
I agree there, it's the only FPS I have installed at my computer. Played it for some time but lost the interest.
Quote:
Originally posted by IronParrot
I'm not much of an FPS man at all. I'm not much of a PC gamer either, vastly preferring consoles (specifically, Nintendo's).

However, there are a handful of recent games I own for the PC that I adore and play way, way too much every now and then:

WarCraft III (and Frozen Throne)
Civilization III
Knights of the Old Republic

I vastly prefer the classic adventure genre, which has been long dead. Notably, these three LucasArts titles:

Grim Fandango (you MUST find it and play it if you can)
Day of the Tentacle
Sam & Max Hit the Road

Let me know if anyone else here wants to set up a WarCraft game sometime. I'm not very good.
I have Frozen Throne, but haven't played for months. And I've planned on buying Knights of the Old Republic, but I don't have enough money at the moment...

My favorite genres are Role Playing Games and Real Time/Turn Based Strategy games. I'm also been a big fan of the adventure-genre, but there haven't been any good games out in that genre for years (as IP said).
Old 01-10-2004, 04:18 AM   #15
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

You are not alone Falagar.

Various games I have played to varying degrees of obsessiveness.

Tonyhawk Proskater II, Warcraft II and III, Civilisation III, Diablo, Worms Armageddon, Caeser II, and the best game of all time...

Command and Conquer: Red Alert.

(I also played this really hard single player game where you're in a scientific facility that has been taken over by horrible aliens. You battle your way out of the facility and eventually end up on their homeworld. I even forget how the game ends! But I really enjoyed it.)
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 12:54 PM   #16
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Quote:
Originally posted by Nurvingiel

(I also played this really hard single player game where you're in a scientific facility that has been taken over by horrible aliens. You battle your way out of the facility and eventually end up on their homeworld. I even forget how the game ends! But I really enjoyed it.)

Alien vs. Pradator?

Old 01-11-2004, 05:55 PM   #17
Elfmaster XK

Quote:
Originally posted by Celebréiel
Yeah as far as geekyness and loving computer games heck no your not alone. I Love all kinds of computer games, System Shock is a great game! Right now im playing Morrowind, and I love it!
I love Morrowind! It took me ages to finsih as I wanted to do all the side tasks aswell. Geek...yes

I can fly - my friends.

XK
Old 01-11-2004, 06:08 PM   #18
Celebréiel
Elven Warrior

Quote:
I love Morrowind! It took me ages to finsih as I wanted to do all the side tasks aswell. Geek...yes
wooow! I cant believe you finished it, yeah I keep getting sidetracked from the main quest thingy.
ah, its not geeky! That game is amazing.
Celebréiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 07:09 PM   #19
Falagar

I've wanted Morrowind for a long time! Unfortunaly I've wanted a lot of games...
Old 01-12-2004, 01:04 AM   #20
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Alien vs. Pradator?
Actually, I remembered. It's Half-life! Once of my most favourite games.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote