Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-18-2003, 07:29 AM   #1
macmico
Hobbit

where's Saruman??

First of all CONGRATULATIONS TO PETER JACKSON
For a marvelous adapptation of rotk. i enjoyed it imensly but i find myself asking where's saruman???

"We just thought that the saruman scene, which is a great one, felt like we were finishing off events from the previous film"

"The Saruman scene is only seven minutes long, all of the actors saw some of their scenes cut"PJ interview taken from the mail on sunday.

i think this was a mistake, i believe that the voice of saruman scene was a very important event in the story. i see it as the turning point in the fortune of all, and gives the men of rohan the confidence they need to ride to Minas Tirith.

i also think that seven minutes on the end of ttt would have done wonders to the reputation of the film which i gather many people consider to be the weakest of the three.

what do you think??????????
macmico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 10:11 AM   #2
Cowlek
Sapling

I haven't seen the film yet but i heard on Newsround that all of Sarumans scenes had been cut out.The they said that the actor who played him was quite shocked ad annoyed about it.
I think they shoud have had him in because he's a very important character,even in the third book.
If you're going through hell, keep going. --Sir Winston Churchill (1874 - 1965) British Statesman, Prime Minister, Author
How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live.
Albert Einstein--Genius....Dyslexic.Anyone can do anything if they want it that bad.
Cowlek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 11:43 AM   #3
Elenessiel
Hobbit

I really enjoyed the end of TTT- the three plotlines were incorporated together and wrapped up so well that I was unsure whether dealing with Saruman would be a distraction. After seeing the extended edition, though, and how Jackson worked in Merry and Pippin's lovely "Flotsam and Jetsom" moments, I think Saruman could have been done very well.
I still think, though, that he would fit in just as well in Return of the King. Rather than being old baggage, the palantir moves the plot forward significantly. I would have much preferred Saruman's scene to the Smeagol/Deagol flashback, which, though very good, was less necessary than other plot elements that got cut.
Elenessiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 11:54 AM   #4
Catgirl
Elven Warrior

I just finished watching ROTK and it is sooooooo good! But, I think that one of the things that they could have put in was the part with Saruman and Wromtongue in the shire, but perhaps it was already too long at the end anyway.
Catgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 09:53 PM   #5
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

think: you really think scouring of shire would have worked?

After 3 1/2 hours - ppl were getting very.......uh ready to go home.

It would have been at least 30 minutes longer (probably 40) if it had scouring of shire and wouldn't make that much sense in the context of the movie. Or atleast to people that had not read the book.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 12:09 AM   #6
Elvellyn
The Redneck Elf

Regarding the Scouring: I don't have the EE of FotR. Did they show Galadriel's gift to Sam? If they did it wouldn't have made much sense as there was nothing to rebuild.
Old 12-21-2003, 12:45 AM   #7
Thuringwethil
Hobbit

i would've enjoyed the scouring, but today when i went people kept yawning and sighing when they thought the movie was about to end and it didn't, so it might've been too long. =/
Thuringwethil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 04:27 AM   #8
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvellyn
Regarding the Scouring: I don't have the EE of FotR. Did they show Galadriel's gift to Sam? If they did it wouldn't have made much sense as there was nothing to rebuild.
Sam only recieved the elvish rope, no box of dust I'm afraid. I think there is no hope for the Scouring unless PJ decides to bring all the actors and crew back to New Zealand to shoot it.