Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-03-2003, 02:15 PM   #1
SamNotSoWise
Hobbit

What's with the pointy ears?

Here's a question I've never seen addressed (if it has and I missed it, the moderator(s) can feel free to close this and re-direct me--thanks!):

Who decided that elves and hobbits had pointy ears? Nothing I've read in the books ever gave me that idea.
SamNotSoWise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 02:23 PM   #2
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Strider

I agree that Tokien's elves and hobbits probably don't have pointed ears. JRRT goes to great lengths to describe hobbits - down to the hair on their feet - but doesn't mention pointed ears. Aragorn realized Arwen is an elf by the light in her eyes - not the points on her ears.

Probably common perception about elves (that they DO have pointed ears - like in all the little fairy story picture books I saw as a kid), I guess.

*trying to picture JRRT's elves helping a shoemaker*
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 02:24 PM   #3
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Well, most people do identify them with pointy ears, don't they? And this is the movie, not the books, and the movie wants to appeal to the non-Tolkien people. PJ did several things that deviate from the books I think, so as to simplify the story for those who haven't read the books. He sometimes IMO went a little too far. I'm surprised he didn't make the Elves 3 ft. tall, like Santa's helpers, or the Keebler elves. Afterall, that is how people view elves outside of Tolkien.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 02:25 PM   #4
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Valandil
I agree that Tokien's elves and hobbits probably don't have pointed ears. JRRT goes to great lengths to describe hobbits - down to the hair on their feet - but doesn't mention pointed ears. Aragorn realized Arwen is an elf by the light in her eyes - not the points on her ears.

Probably common perception about elves (that they DO have pointed ears - like in all the little fairy story picture books I saw as a kid), I guess.

*trying to picture JRRT's elves helping a shoemaker*
Couldn't have said it better myself. See above post.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 11-03-2003, 03:10 PM   #5
azalea
Long lost mooter

[Just to clarify for the thread starter -- there has been a lot of discussion/ debate in other forums (as well as whole threads) about pointed ears (stemming from I think a description of hobbits as having "leaf-shaped" ears), and there's been discussion in this forum, too, but to my knowledge no specific threads about it in a long time. Just FYI, you might want to do a search to view some of the other discussions about it if you're interested.]

I pretty much agree with what has been said -- PJ used pointy ears so that the audience could distinguish elves from humans when they appeared on the screen. I'm not opposed to his doing so (I'm not entirely convinced that they didn't have ears that were slightly pointed, but it's not really something I dwell on), because I know people that were indeed helped by it, and I'm sure there are many others, especially because of the fact that the general population is familiar with the widespread concept of elves, fairies, leprechauns, etc. having pointed ears.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 03:15 PM   #6
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Strider

Well I think we should get one more opinion on this.

Where's Spock...???
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 04:03 PM   #7
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Yes this has been discussed many times in the book forums. Tolkien says that Elves and Men were biologically the same, so I think that would mean from ears to toes. I once asked Michael Martinez how Sauron was able to tell Beren from the 11 elves when he stripped their disguises from them. He said: "All he had to see was the light in their eyes to know the difference."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 11-03-2003, 04:35 PM   #8
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

Origianlly posted by valandil

"Well I think we should get one more opinion on this.

Where's Spock...???"
Actually, I've always had a theory that since the original Star Trek series writers and producers just take the easy way out of showing an individual, race, ec. is different by using pointed ears. (and it also cuts down on make-up costs, just slap on a pair of pointed ears).

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!
Tuor of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 07:10 PM   #9
Lollypopgurl
Elven Warrior

Didn't Tolkein write somewhere that they were "leaf-shaped"???
Old 11-03-2003, 09:56 PM   #10
Kalimac
Enting

Tolkien indicated that hobbit ears were different than human ears in a letter to HM

Quote:
A round, jovial face; ears only slightly pointed and 'elvish' - The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien, 35 (#27)
Indicating that Tolkien thought hobbit ears were more 'elvish' looking than human.

Did hobbits have pointy ears?

So what do elves ears look like? There is some reference in Tolkien's work about the elvish ear being somewhat pointed, more than a human. That idea is supported by the language which refers to the ear as being 'leaf shaped'.

Here's a discussion about it with referernces:

Did elves have pointed ears?

So, there does appear to be some support for the idea that hobbits and elves had pointy ears. (And, Tolkien must have seen the illustrations. Wouldn't he have said something if he didn't approve?)
Kalimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 09:57 PM   #11
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Quote:
Originally posted by Lollypopgurl
Didn't Tolkein write somewhere that they were "leaf-shaped"???
Yes - in the etymologies of HoME 5, he mentions quendi ears as being leaf shaped, and more pointed than [?humans]. So, at one stage, he appears to have been considering pointy ears.
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 08:58 AM   #12
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Kalimac:

Note that Tolkien A) did not capitalize the "e" in "elvish", and B) put quote marks around it. I expect that he was referring to the typical fairy-elves of the soft'n'cuddly variety. If he meant the Quendi, I doubt he would have used the word in such a manner.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 10:10 AM   #13
Melko Belcha
Elven Warrior

After The Hobbit was published Tolkien saw a drawing of Bilbo that he hated, he wrote a letter to the artist and said that Hobbits ears were pointed and elvish. At the time the letter was written the Hobbit was still not part of The Silmarillion legend, so when Tolkien said elvish ears he must have meant the common idea of elves having pointed ears, since very few people outside his family knew of the Quendi.

In HoME 5, in the etymologies there is one reference to the Quendi's ears being more leaf-shaped then Man's. So atleast in pre-LotR writtings Tolkien saw the Quendi as having leaf-shaped ears.
Crist by Cynewulf (lines 104-5)
Melko Belcha is offline   Reply With Quote