Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-04-2005, 01:13 PM   #1
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Deja Vu

Have any of you guys ever experienced deja vu? I mean, REAL deja vu, the definite and indeniable sensation of having lived a moment already, which all logic tells you cannot have previously happened? Maybe that's a bit wordy of a definition, but you know what I mean. I'd love to know other people's stories about this; it's a phenomenon that I find particularly fascinating.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 01:21 PM   #2
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

http://people.howstuffworks.com/question657.htm

There. A better detailed description of 'deja vu'.

Old 08-04-2005, 03:02 PM   #3
Tree Dweller
Elven Warrior

Location: The bulls-eye for recent hurricanes, but I still love these white sands....nothing compares.
I can recall 3 or 4 times of extremely specific deja vu and in each case the place, people (what they were wearing), what we were doing, and what we all said seemed to have happened before.

Kind of freaks me out sometimes.

-------------------------------------------
I always liked going South, somehow it feels like going downhill.
Treebeard

~*~Diary of a Beach Bum~*~
Tree Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 03:04 PM   #4
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Where they situations that you could SWEAR there was no way you could have been there before? That's what makes deja vu such a trip, the truly unexplainable.

Old 08-04-2005, 03:07 PM   #5
Tree Dweller
Elven Warrior

Location: The bulls-eye for recent hurricanes, but I still love these white sands....nothing compares.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
Where they situations that you could SWEAR there was no way you could have been there before? That's what makes deja vu such a trip, the truly unexplainable.

Oh, yes. I have had the occasional, "whoa...did this happen before?" kind of deja vu and then the rare ones like I said before, where I was so freaked out by it that I didn't say anything to anyone.

I always liked going South, somehow it feels like going downhill.
Treebeard

~*~Diary of a Beach Bum~*~
Tree Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 05:33 PM   #6
katya
Elven Maiden

Sometimes it even feels like you are predicting what's going to happen as it's happening. It might be my mind playing tricks on me, but it's still freaky.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 10:09 PM   #7
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

you know I could have sworn I posted in this thread before...

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 01:12 AM   #8
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

When I was real little (about 5 or 6), my mom took me to visit her old friend, who had a daughter my age. I was terrified because I was so positive I had been in the same place with those same events sometime before. I had to play with the girl but I hated it because she was so active, she wouldn't let me try to gather my thoughts and figure out why it felt so familiar. During the course of the day, she poured me a cup of soda that had more foam than usual, and I remember thinking that there was probably bubble gum in the bottom of the bottle that fell out into my cup as she poured, even though it made no sense that I should know that, and I was gravely afraid to drink it because I thought for sure it would kill me. I wanted to throw up I was so freaked out. *shudder* Later that day I got to hide from eveyone in a closet and sort through my confused head, and I conluded that I must have died before from that very cup of soda, and I had been given a chance to live the exact same life I had already led, and now was being desperately warned not to drink it. And I remember that distinctly. After I came out and played with her for a while, she suddenly said "wanna see my grandma!?" and immediately I thought "why did she say that like her grandma's a thing, or a cool toy?" I pictured her as having serious alzheimer's or being hopelessly insane. She opened a door that we had passed on our way into the house but was closed the whole time, and her grandma was in a bed, vommiting just as we entered, and clearly dying, but the stupid girl remained creepily upbeat.

So the entire day I was there, I felt like I had been there before, and I knew what to expect and I felt scarily hopeless.

Also, here's an exerpt from my psychology notes that I don't feel like formatting for Vbulletin:
• Déjá vu- French “already seen” that feeling that you have already experienced something before
o 70% of population experienced this, mostly between the ages of 15-25
o three kinds
 deja vecu- “already experienced” feeling that you’ve already been in a situation, to the point where you know what will happen next
 deja sente- “already felt”
 deja viste- “already visited” feeling you’ve been here
• no known cause for déjá vu, and most psychologists don’t believe in it
• some proposed theories:
 parapsychology- it’s something from a previous life
 Navajo- you’ve dreamt about it, and while you dream your spirit leaves your body and lives out the dream
 It’s wishful thinking; you’ve been in a similar situation for real and you think you’re re-experiencing it the way you want to.
 You’ve seen something familiar and can’t place what it is so convince yourself you’ve experienced it.

I think my psych teacher got these notes straight from that website, Lotesse.

Last edited by Bombadillo : 08-05-2005 at 01:25 AM.
Bombadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 01:30 AM   #9
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Thanx for the story, Bombadillo. What a trip. I've been trying to figure out what to let myself believe in, lately, and hearing true reminisces of those who've experienced deja vu is most illuminating. The paranormal connection I can believe, but I'm trying to find out why - why I believe, what my gut instinct is trying to tell me. When a person is that young (5 or 6, as you were) they experience everything freshly, without the constraints of accumulated indoctrination or the processes of trained logic, therefore what such a young person experiences cannot be discounted - at all. Your story is terrific - and legitimate - food for thought.

Old 08-05-2005, 10:48 AM   #10
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

It's a great argument for reincarnation. When the remembering switch isn't totally off when you incarnate, you can experience things now that you did then.
Old 08-06-2005, 12:46 AM   #11
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

I had a touch of déj* vu just this week. However, I've never had it to the point where I knew what was happening next (déj* vecu, according to Bombadillo).

In Stephen King's short story collection Everything's Eventual, he wrote a story called "That Feeling, You Can Only Say What It Is in French".

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 12:10 PM   #12
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
you know I could have sworn I posted in this thread before...
LOL
Old 08-06-2005, 12:20 PM   #13
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I experience Deja Vu every morning.

I wake up just a little later than I meant to, drag myself out of bed, drive to school, sit through a two-hour lecture for which the word, 'Dull', was invented, and idly find myself wondering if I've been caught in some kind of sick time-warp and will have to endure this for the rest of eternity. -_-

Last edited by Tessar : 08-06-2005 at 12:22 PM.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 12:26 PM   #14
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

You spend a lot of time looking in that mirror Try to stop that
Old 08-06-2005, 02:40 PM   #15
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

After having skimmed the entire thread, I have come to the conclusion that your post makes no sense Spock...

Eh?!
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 02:55 PM   #16
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

I know, huh! Exactly WHAT do you mean, Spock? I' too, am confused...

Old 08-06-2005, 05:37 PM   #17
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

I have déj* vus once in a while. It's interesting that, when I'm experiencing the déj* vu, it feels like I'm reliving a real memory but, seconds later when the déj* vu is over, the memory doesn't seem real at all. Afterwards it's hard for me to understand how the situation could have seemed so familiar only moments ago.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 07:26 PM   #18
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

I sort of get that. Most nights, the only dreams I have are about everyday life in my house, and when I wake up I find that things we changed in my dream have been 'changed back,' and I get confused. You don't know what to think for a minute.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:00 AM   #19
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

I get deja viste sometimes. Like I'm sure I've been somewhere before, when there's no way I could have been. I also think I see places from my dreams sometimes, it creeps me out.

Thanks so much to Last Child of Ungoliant, Twista, and BeardofPants for my avatar!
tolkienfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 01:20 PM   #20
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
After having skimmed the entire thread, I have come to the conclusion that your post makes no sense Spock...
Eh?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
I experience Deja Vu every morning.

I wake up just a little later than I meant to, drag myself out of bed, drive to school, sit through a two-hour lecture for which the word, 'Dull', was invented, and idly find myself wondering if I've been caught in some kind of sick time-warp and will have to endure this for the rest of eternity. -:
All you had to do was look at your post before mine....it's a joke, a comment on what you posted. And Lotesse, I'm surprised you didn't get it.