Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-11-2004, 06:56 AM   #1
Millane
The Dude

Irreversible

i was just wondering if any people from overseas have seen or heard of Irreversible, his is a new movie (at least in Australia) directed by Gasper Noe and starring Monica Bellucci, it was the picture of a nude Monica Bellucci that first caught my eye, but then i read the review and went to the website and now im very much anticipating the next cinema triumph for this year... i have a feeling it could be out on dvd in the states, i know a lot of people walked out on it at Cannes because of its brutal violence and rape scenes but it has also been praised by many who feel that is how they should be portrayed, it sounds like it could be the next Once Were Warriors for me... anyway heres the website if your interested and if you have seen it, it was great wasnt it?
http://www.irreversiblethemovie.com/
Old 02-11-2004, 07:08 AM   #2
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Never heard of it. Looks interesting though. I remember that Blue Velvet caused a similar reaction when it came out. It's very tricky dealing with these kinds of issues, but all the more important that filmmakers try, particularly when violence is routinely glorified in mainstream cinema.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 08:05 AM   #3
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

Yeah I've heard of it. This is the one that has something like seven minutes of footage showing a guy being beaten to death??? Or am I thinking of another movie???
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 03:58 AM   #4
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by The Gaffer
Never heard of it. Looks interesting though. I remember that Blue Velvet caused a similar reaction when it came out. It's very tricky dealing with these kinds of issues, but all the more important that filmmakers try, particularly when violence is routinely glorified in mainstream cinema.
yeah my feelings exactly, i enjoy movies that glorify violence byt i also strongly agree that the brutality and harshness of violence should also be shown, what could be more of a deterent to violence than showing the brutality of it... One thing that annoys me is reviewers walking out on movies, i hate that
Quote:
Originally posted by Lalaith_Elf
Yeah I've heard of it. This is the one that has something like seven minutes of footage showing a guy being beaten to death??? Or am I thinking of another movie???
yeah that sounds like the one, do you know if it is out on dvd where you live. i might just buy it from overseas theres little chance of it coming to Bendigo
Old 02-12-2004, 10:27 AM   #5
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

Yep you can get it off the net... theres a link for Play.com below, but you should also be able to get it off amazon or HMV.

http://www.playserver1.com/play247.a...arch&adudisc=y
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 01:23 AM   #6
Millane
The Dude

hahahahaha well half a year later and i finally have it. I dont know if it came to cinemas at all in Australia and there was some bullshit about banning it but last week it was released on dvd and so i ran down and got it straight away.
and as i thought it was a masterpiece, the camera work reflects the mood of the story so the start of the film (and since the movie is told in reverse, the end of the story) is very erratic and the camera is never still, probably a good thing as the gay bar at the end is very ****ed up. Its hard to watch but the camera steadies a bit about 30 minutes in.
Wouldnt recommend it to anyone who cant stand graphic violence, the bashing in the gay bar is pretty bad but the raping and bashing halfway through the movie is unbearable for many reasons.
i probably should stop talking about it before i wreck the whole movie...
has anyone else seen this yet??????