Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-03-2002, 11:33 PM   #1
Ben
Retired Ent

TT's Oscar Chances

Not that the Academy Awards would be any less of a joke if they finally gave one of the LotR movies top honors, but I'd be happy that the movies were finally getting the recognition they deserved .

Some sites already have their predictions as to next year's nominees. Most people seem to be writing TT off of their lists, although the buzz is that RotK is the likeliest bet for a Best Picture win.

Check out The Film Experience's "April Fools Day Predictions" for an overview of upcoming movies and their Oscar odds. According to these sites, the movies that look to be good bets are Martin Scorsese's Gangs of New York starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Cameron Diaz and Daniel Day-Lewis; Road to Perdition starring Tom Hanks; and the musical Chicago starring Rene Zellweger and Catherine Zeta-Jones.

I certainly hope that TT is nominated for the major awards like FotR was (picture, director, some acting, etc.), but given how stupid the Academy is, that's far from assured. Even the technical categories will be fiercely competitive, with Star Wars Episode II, Spiderman, and Spielberg's Minority Report among the special-effects laden blockbusters opening.

What do you think?

formerly known in the forums as bmilder

Owner of The Tolkien Trail and Entmoot.

Buy Entmoot shirts and mugs!
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 11:57 PM   #2
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

I think that TTT will be put up for awards in at least these categories: Best Director, Best Picture, Cinematography, Make-up, Special Effects, and Best Original Score.

I think that the Academy will wait until after RotK to give Peter Jackson Best Director, and to honor the trilogy with Best Picture. Make-up, Special Effects, and Cinematography will be close, but since they got that this year, I doubt they'll repeat. There might be some supporting actor/actress nominations, but I don't even have an educated guess about those.

It might be a slack year for TTT, unless it completely tops what everyone is expecting. It might get 4 or 5 awards, putting it at least on par with FotR in the awards department.

Oh yeah, one more thing. I hope I am completely wrong whenever I say I doubt TTT.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 01:19 AM   #3
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I really really hope that the TT and ROTK wins heaps of Oscars (yes I'm biased), but I'm not sure if Americans would want a film called the Two Towers to win best film. Or maybe they would, I don't know I'm not American.

It seems that the Academy give awards to people who should have won the previous year (for example Russel Crowe who didn't get the Oscar for The Insider but got one for The Gladiator), so maybe the TT wil win. Guess we will just have to wait. Doh.
Old 04-04-2002, 02:10 AM   #4
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nazgul

I'll wait until I see TT to say whether I think it deserves anything. I know it was filmed at the same time as FOTR and RotK - but still, it is it's own movie.

I hope that Elijah Wood realy does a good job with Frodo's transformation through Mordor (and I hope Jackson doesn't screw it up too much). If Elijah does a good job - I think he could be nomenated and possibly win Best Actor. Also, if Sean Astin does a good job with Sam in Mordor - I'm sure he can be nomenated for Best Supporting Actor.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 08:12 AM   #5
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Well the final results were most disappointing. At least the British Film Awards did LOTR justice. Us yanks seem to care about "recognizing" people who are still alive and producing and salving our conscience by awards to movies about retarded, oops that's mentally challenged, people. Hooey!
Old 04-04-2002, 09:43 AM   #6
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Given that the academy seems to have a "we'll give it to 'em this year since they've been around" trend recently, I'm thinking Best Picture and Best Director might wait 'til ROTK.

I can't say if TT/TTT deserves to win yet since it hasn't shown. All we have is a trailer that's really really good. (I'm tempted to rate it but... Nope, I'll wait)

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 11:40 AM   #7
Darth Tater
The man

TT will of course win best SFX again, since they're obviously gonna top what they did in Fellowship. However, I'm not expecting many other technical awards except ones they didn't win this year (costumes, editing, script maybe?). Movies with a continuing musical score do not win. Take for instance ESB. Superior score to ANH, but didn't win.

I don't think TT will win any of the major awards. They're saving those till ROTK. The final film will undoubtedly be a heartbreaker. Hollywood prefers fake sad movies (Titanic, Gladiator) to real sad movies (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon), but ROTK's Oscars will fall into that ever growing category of awards that are given in the regular categories but are really lifetime achievement awards.
Darth Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 01:29 PM   #8
Twilight
Elven Warrior

It should be able to get a few. Hopefully it will also at least get nominations for some of the better ones but there isn't much chance of getting any of those. ROTK had better do very well otherwise I am going to be really disapointed
Twilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 01:57 PM   #9
Khadrane
Elf Lord

What would really stink is if Liv Tyler turns up at Helms Deep (which I think she will) and she got Best Supporting Actress.

FRODO LIVES!

ABORTION IS HOMICIDE
Khadrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 03:45 PM   #10
Rosie-Lass
Elven Warrior

Quote:
What would really stink is if Liv Tyler turns up at Helms Deep (which I think she will) and she got Best Supporting Actress.
She had better not!

It is 'The Year of the Sequel(sp?)'
According to these 'predictors' this year is going to be the best for films in a long while.
You have Spiderman, Star Wars, TTT, Die Another Day, X-Men.
All of these could go in for Oscars, theoretically, which is why people are writing TTT off their lists. They shouldn't, though, just because it's the second of three, and the one people seem to 'pass over' in the film world.

IT'S GOING TO BE JUST AS GOOD AS THE OTHERS!!!
Old 04-07-2002, 12:53 AM   #11
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Star Wars: Attack of the Clones getting an oscar!. With George Lucas! Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
I am kind of hoping that Arwen will die (my inspiration coming from the trailer). Oh, but then she might get best supporting actess. But I will get Aragorn. *Naughty thoughts coming into my mind*
Old 04-07-2002, 01:37 AM   #12
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

I think I'll suspend judgment until the movie actually comes out . . .

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 12:07 PM   #13
StrawberryIcecream
Elf Lord

um. *ahem* Is this counted as spamming?

Are you all friends off the Moot or something because for some reason you are posting about spoons and bunnies on an oscar thread!

aaannnnyywayyyyy...!

I've always thought that RotK will get the most because those who have not read the books in the academy may consider Fotr and TTT 'incomplete'. Just shows how ignorant they are. But i think that with all three watched they may actually understand the plot and give us, i mean them, some oscars. I don't think Two Towers will get many unfortunatley because its the middle of the trilogy and at the end leaves a lot of things unanswered. Again i think RotK will also win a lot because of all the amazing graphics it wil have like Mordor's Volcano and Shelob.

for all you pippin's out there.
StrawberryIcecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 12:16 PM   #14
StrawberryIcecream
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by FliPip
Yes, it might be counted as spamming! haha! *hhits icecream over the head with a smelly herring, and badgers attack him* We are the Forum Liberators, and we've come to set you freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IF YOU ARE GOING TO MOCK ME AT LEAST GET MY GENDER RIGHT PLEASE!!!!!! I AM NOT MALE!

Why are you trying to liberate the forum? You wouldnt be Tater playing another joke would you? *squints through screen attempting to see FliPip*

Oh and if you are going to hit me over the head with anything, please let it be vegetarian. thankyou!

You know, you should realllly move this *ahem* talk into general messages before you get shouted at by an admin.

Old 04-07-2002, 12:32 PM   #15
StrawberryIcecream
Elf Lord

Oi! Grimbo! If you dont understand what spamming is, your doing it all now! You are typing pointless messages when there is general messages for that. Anyway Tater is the co owner of this site who has been know to take on other alias's and trick very gullible people like myself (still, ya gotta love him!). The other co owner is BMILDER whose thread you are spamming on now so i suggest you toddle off to genral messages before you get banned ok?

Old 04-07-2002, 01:11 PM   #16
FliPip
Banned

Spamming is when you hit someone over the head with a disgusting meat product!
FliPip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 01:15 PM   #17
The Grim Squeaker
Banned

Ah yes, thank you for reminding me my lovely friend (God we have to get better smilies!)
The Grim Squeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 01:30 PM   #18
Beware The Blue Pixies!!
Banned

*sniff* you...you *sniff* you liberated people without me!! *sniff*

HEY!! I like you ents!! Your nicer then the dead people down at Barrow downs!!
*waves through screen at the Entmooters* heloooooooooo!!!
oh......I'M A BLUE BUNNY WUNNY!!! just incase you wondered!!
Beware The Blue Pixies!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 01:32 PM   #19
FliPip
Banned

We're sorry Meve, but these people need to be Free!
FliPip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 01:35 PM   #20
The Grim Squeaker
Banned

My dear you do not realise the plight of these people!
The Grim Squeaker is offline   Reply With Quote