Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-19-2003, 02:42 AM   #1
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

What Fingolfin looked like during his rage...

in riding to battle Morgoth. After reading about that some months ago, and growing to like Fingolfin the best of all Elf's, I realized just now that there is an image in my mind of what he could have looked liked. I remember playing this game called Warcraft III last year and there is a character who is an elvish priest with flaming eyes of blue, and so I wanted to post this to show everyone what that character looks like, to me I picture it being a copy of Fingolfin during his rage...

Here is the link to that image:

http://www.battle.net/war3/images/hu...its/priest.gif
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 03:06 AM   #2
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Dear lord, don't tell me you really think the princes of the Noldor were sword-ear elves???

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 04:05 AM   #3
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
Dear lord, don't tell me you really think the princes of the Noldor were sword-ear elves???
I didn't say that it looked exactly like him, however the flaming eyes and the golden hair resemble him, plus the picture looks angry, thus during his rage...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 03-19-2003, 04:58 AM   #4
Inderjit Sanghera
Elven Warrior

Fingolfin was dark haired.
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 07:49 AM   #5
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

I pictured him as sexy ... so not quite like in that image ...

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 11:32 AM   #6
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Quote:
in riding to battle Morgoth. After reading about that some months ago, and growing to like Fingolfin the best of all Elf's, I realized just now that there is an image in my mind of what he could have looked liked. I remember playing this game called Warcraft III last year and there is a character who is an elvish priest with flaming eyes of blue, and so I wanted to post this to show everyone what that character looks like, to me I picture it being a copy of Fingolfin during his rage...
You've played Warcraft 3 too? I'm not the only computer-gamer here then...
Sorry, off topic..
Old 03-19-2003, 12:41 PM   #7
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

NoloFinwe's aura shown so brightly through from the spirt world during that ride that it made many of the enemy believe that it was one of the Valar.
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 01:00 PM   #8
Gwaimir Windgem

O.O

That's impressive. But I thought it was Finwe NoloFinwe?

OT: I play a few computer games, but not many new ones. I mostly like 'classics', like LOMSE and Majesty. But I do know a few WC3 players; one of them I think has a temple to Blizzard in his room.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 03-19-2003, 02:05 PM   #9
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Inderjit Sanghera
Fingolfin was dark haired.
I disagree, he had long golden-hair...

--Linaewen
Old 03-19-2003, 02:23 PM   #10
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Anke Eissman's art has me convinced. Fingolfin had long, gold hair.
Old 03-19-2003, 03:03 PM   #11
Gwaimir Windgem

I think that long golden hair is the more common conception, but that in some volume (maybe Silmarillion, but probably one I haven't read yet) he is probably described as dark-haired.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 03-19-2003, 03:17 PM   #12
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
I think that long golden hair is the more common conception, but that in some volume (maybe Silmarillion, but probably one I haven't read yet) he is probably described as dark-haired.
I've been trying to find the passage all day and I can't but I remember reading that he had golden-hair.

Also, countless reknowned Tolkien Artists have painted Fingolfin with golden hair as well. If John Howe has him with Golden hair than the probability that he was written in with having golden hair is usually right on...

--Linaewen
Old 03-19-2003, 03:24 PM   #13
Gwaimir Windgem

Since some of the VERY learned Tolkien scholars have said he had dark hair, I presume that this is the fact. We'll just have to wait till one of them can give us a quote.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 03-19-2003, 03:37 PM   #14
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Since some of the VERY learned Tolkien scholars have said he had dark hair, I presume that this is the fact. We'll just have to wait till one of them can give us a quote.
Who? Provide me with some of these "VERY" learned Tolkien scholars, I haven't seen anything....

--Linaewen
Old 03-19-2003, 03:38 PM   #15
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I've always been of the opinion that he was dark haired. *shrug* Where's SGH when you need her?
Old 03-19-2003, 03:46 PM   #16
BeardofPants
the Shrike

"was his father's son, tall, dark", The Shibboleth of Feanor, HoMe vol 12
Old 03-19-2003, 03:48 PM   #17
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
"was his father's son, tall, dark", The Shibboleth of Feanor, HoMe vol 12
BAH! I am so disappointed now, lol, I like thinking he has golden hair better. I think I found where my confusion was, this is a quote regarding Finarfin, his brother:

"Alone among the Noldorin princes he and his descendants had golden hair, derived from his mother Indis, who was a Vanyarin Elf."

Well anyway, back to the picture I posted, it's all in the eyes

I still could have sworn I read about Fingolfin with golden hair though

--Linaewen
Old 03-19-2003, 03:49 PM   #18
Gwaimir Windgem

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
I've always been of the opinion that he was dark haired. *shrug* Where's SGH when you need her?
One topic over!

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 03-19-2003, 03:50 PM   #19
Gwaimir Windgem

Anywho, I just want to go on record as saying that I object to the likening (to any great degree) of your typical Warcraft/DND/DragonLance/WHATEVER Elf to the Eldar of Middle-earth. They just ain't the same.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 03-19-2003, 03:53 PM   #20
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Anywho, I just want to go on record as saying that I object to the likening (to any great degree) of your typical Warcraft/DND/DragonLance/WHATEVER Elf to the Eldar of Middle-earth. They just ain't the same.
How so? Warcraft is based off of Tolkien's works....

--Linaewen