Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit (book)
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-27-2002, 11:05 PM   #1
Maedhros
The Tall

What if Gollum had been hungry?

When Gollum mets Bilbo for the first time, he was curious and not hungry:
Quote:
"What iss he, my preciouss?" whispered Gollum (who always spoke to himself through never having anyone else to speak to). This is what he had come to find out, for he was not really very hungry at the moment, only curious; otherwise he would have grabbed first and whispered afterwards.
Would he have overpowered Bilbo or would Bilbo had hurt or Slain him. Could Bilbo have gotten out of the Mountain without Gollum's help?
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Maedhros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 11:53 PM   #2
azalea
Long lost mooter

Hmm, good question. I think at that point Bilbo could have hurt him badly enough to escape, if not kill him. But it's a good thing he didn't! Hey, you could say that little orclet saved all of Middle-earth by being Gollum's lunch! Otherwise he would have attacked, and Bilbo would have killed him!

Anyway, I don't know that Bilbo could have found his way out. He had the ring which would have helped, but he would have gotten hungry -- oooh, what if he had become just like Gollum! But no, he was too different. He would have gotten out, but it would have taken a long time, and by that time the dwarves might have convinced Gandalf to go on w/ out him, and he would have had to try to catch up or go on alone and ended up...who knows where? Oh, I bet Beorn woulkd have found him eventually if he had kept to an easterly path. Though hopefully the goblins wouldn't have found him first (by using the Wargs to sniff him out).
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 07:03 PM   #3
webwizard333
Elf Lord

Quote:
Hey, you could say that little orclet saved all of Middle-earth by being Gollum's lunch!
The salvation of Middle Earth does depend on every other event that occurs in the Hobbit. From the trolls, to thw wood-elves getting drunk, Smaug's carelessnes, the sheer luck in finding a talking raven, etc. So much depends on a little small Hobbit and his adventure.
Old 10-28-2002, 07:48 PM   #4
Maedhros
The Tall

I think that most probable that Gollum would have overpowered Bilbo and ultimately wounded him, to the point of having a nice dinner.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Maedhros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 12:11 PM   #5
azalea
Long lost mooter

I would have to disagree, if only because I tend to look at things from a very positive point of view, and I happen to like ol' Bilbo, but I think at that point he had seen and experienced enough that he would have had the guts, if you will, to really let Gollum have it. I think the fact that he almost does it says that, but his pity for the creature and the fact that he feels his advantage is unfair keeps him from it. So I would say that although he has a long way to go yet in becoming the hobbit he is when he returns home, I think he could have killed Gollum if attacked. I mean, his instincts really would have kicked in from being in such a treacherous situation anyway (lost in dark cave with many goblins), so even if attacked from behind I think he would have been ready to stab, cut, whatever it took to get himself away.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 07:30 PM   #6
Khadrane
Elf Lord

If Gollum had been hungry, I think he would have snuck up behind Bilbo and strangled him. Bilbo wouldn't have had much of a chance of escaping, so he probably would have become Gollum's lunch, and Gollum would probably find his "preciousss" in Bilbo's pocket. I don't know how the rest of "The Hobbit" and "Lord of the Rings" might have played out, though.

FRODO LIVES!

ABORTION IS HOMICIDE
Khadrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 07:55 PM   #7
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Bilbo would have had plenty of time to escape. If Gollum had wanted to kill/eat Bilbo he would have used stealth and to aid his subterfuge he would have used the Ring. When he discovered the Ring missing the ensuing rage and frantic searching of Gollum would have given Bilbo plenty of time to escape

I think Bilbo would certainly have found his way out of the mountain eventually, he was a very resourceful little chap

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 07:22 PM   #8
Khadrane
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney
Bilbo would have had plenty of time to escape. If Gollum had wanted to kill/eat Bilbo he would have used stealth and to aid his subterfuge he would have used the Ring. When he discovered the Ring missing the ensuing rage and frantic searching of Gollum would have given Bilbo plenty of time to escape

I think Bilbo would certainly have found his way out of the mountain eventually, he was a very resourceful little chap
Fine then. Ruin my pessimism. See if I care.

FRODO LIVES!

ABORTION IS HOMICIDE
Khadrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 01:59 PM   #9
entss89
lord of the ents

i bet he would have ate the tiny little hobbits!
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!he he

im a little hobbit short and stout
here is my ring evil without a doubt
when you get me hipped up
here me shout
get me to mordo as quick as you can..

if you like that song then you should visit www.lordoftherings.net!

the ents are coming
the ents are coming
watch out tower of orthanc
for your dark walls shall fall!
sauroman, sauroman
your name is not the white!
for now you are
sauroman of many colors!

a best frind does not stab u in the back...................
they stab u in the front.
entss89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2002, 12:51 PM   #10
Duddun
I Antha

Bilbo was ready with his sword so I don't think Gollum was thinking of trying to eat him.
I'm Not Evil!
If the critics say it's good, is it really That good?
It's a bird! It's a plane! No! It's a balloon!
Duddun, Son of Bubbun
Duddun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 04:34 AM   #11
francod
Enting

Nazgul gollum

Gollum would have destroyed Bilbo if he had a mind to. Gollum is in great shape lean and mean. He is in game shape thriving in the mines with all those orcs around. He lives in the caves year round that is a tough life.

Bilbo lived a pampered life was out of shape, way out of shape. In fact a stong case could be made that Bilbo was never in shape. Bilbo was basicly a bored rich guy who was tricked into going on an adventure by a guy who was way smarter than him.
Old 01-28-2003, 11:12 AM   #12
Togo Boffin
Sapling

Sam Gamgee

PHP Code:
NO 
The ring chose to leave Gollum. I don't think we can forget that the ring probably contributed more to the events in "The Hobbit" than anything else.
Togo Boffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 08:19 PM   #13
Thrain
Enting

I think Gollum would have been killed easily but I don't think by intention. Basically if Gollum jumped onto Bilbo, Bilbo would have turned around and Gollum would have been scewered. Then Bilbo would have found a way out because the book did say that Hobbits have an incredible sense of direction, rarely get lost, and were very resourceful, especially underground.