Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-06-2002, 12:58 AM   #1
Curandir
Hobbit

Gimli Stranger, more wonderful animals?

Just going through Sil again and I noticed that animals are mentioned that live in Aman, but not in Middle Earth. Are these things mentioned anywhere else? And what are they?
Old 11-06-2002, 03:09 AM   #2
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

I'm not sure what you mean. Does it just say, "animals"? or does it specify what kind? I haven't read the Sil in a while.

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth" (Picasso)
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 09:44 PM   #3
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Quote:
Fëanor and his sons abode seldom in one place for long, but travelled far and wide upon the confines of Valinor, going even to the borders of the Dark and the cold shores of the Outer Sea, seeking the unknown. Often they were guests in the halls of Aulë; but Celegorm went rather to the house of Oromë, and there he got great knowledge of birds and beasts, and all their tongues he knew. For all living things that are or have been in the Kingdom of Arda, save only the fell and evil creatures of Melkor, lived then in the land of Aman; and there also were many other creatures that have not been seen upon Middle-earth, and perhaps never now shall be, since the fashion of the world has changed.
-- "Of Eldamar and the Princes of the Eldalië"
Old 11-25-2002, 02:19 AM   #4
Curandir
Hobbit

Thats the quote, sorry my reply has been so long in the offing, but I've been away from the "moot" for a while. As far as I know there are no other references to these animals, I just thought you guys might know. Thanks
Old 11-25-2002, 07:57 PM   #5
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

It's an intriguing idea, is it not? That'd be cool to see some of the strange and wonderful animals in any motion picture set in Valinor -- or animals the average person would not expect to find there, like Oliphaunts.
Old 11-27-2002, 05:32 PM   #6
Kirinki54
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Ñólendil
It's an intriguing idea, is it not? That'd be cool to see some of the strange and wonderful animals in any motion picture set in Valinor -- or animals the average person would not expect to find there, like Oliphaunts.
Yes, very intriguing.

I also find it interesting that Tolkien apparently did not wholly rule the possibility of that these strange animals might eventually turn up in ME (I use the "perhaps" at the end of your quote as a basis for this thought). How would this be explained in terms of Tolkien´s views on "evolution" in ME?
'They need more gardens,' said Legolas. 'The houses are dead, and there is too little here that grows and is glad. If Aragorn comes into his own, the people of the Wood shall bring him birds that sing and trees that do not die.'
Kirinki54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 06:29 AM   #7
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Quote:
How would this be explained in terms of Tolkien´s views on "evolution" in ME?
I think maybe Tolkien did believe in some kind of significant genetic development in the human race, from their beginning to their form now. You can see hints of it in Myths Transformed in Morgoth's Ring. Tolkien was always pushing the date of the Awakening of Men back, and one of the reasons, he indicated, was to allow for the development scientists believed occured. Men still awoke, but I think they looked different, much different. And the latest idea of Trolls we have -- and I don't know if Tolkien held on to it -- is that they were corruptions of the primitive Mannish form, dull and lumpish in nature (also from Myths Transformed).

But I don't know really what you are referring to. What has evolution got to do with it?
Old 11-29-2002, 10:23 AM   #8
Kirinki54
Elven Warrior

Quote:
I think maybe Tolkien did believe in some kind of significant genetic development in the human race, from their beginning to their form now. You can see hints of it in Myths Transformed in Morgoth's Ring. Tolkien was always pushing the date of the Awakening of Men back, and one of the reasons, he indicated, was to allow for the development scientists believed occured. Men still awoke, but I think they looked different, much different. And the latest idea of Trolls we have -- and I don't know if Tolkien held on to it -- is that they were corruptions of the primitive Mannish form, dull and lumpish in nature (also from Myths Transformed).

But I don't know really what you are referring to. What has evolution got to do with it?
Simply, those animals were not in ME at the supposed time that your quote refers to. But they might possibly appear later. So how? They could not then come from Aman because it was closed off from ME. Perhaps by evolutionary forces then, animals of ME turning into new species. I am not sure at all if that line of reasoning could have been assumed by Tolkien? Perhaps, if we compare to the development of Men then, that seems to indicate some measure of evolution?
'They need more gardens,' said Legolas. 'The houses are dead, and there is too little here that grows and is glad. If Aragorn comes into his own, the people of the Wood shall bring him birds that sing and trees that do not die.'
Old 11-29-2002, 10:52 PM   #9
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Quote:
Simply, those animals were not in ME at the supposed time that your quote refers to. But they might possibly appear later. So how? They could not then come from Aman because it was closed off from ME. Perhaps by evolutionary forces then, animals of ME turning into new species. I am not sure at all if that line of reasoning could have been assumed by Tolkien? Perhaps, if we compare to the development of Men then, that seems to indicate some measure of evolution?
Where do you get the idea they weren't in Middle-earth at that time?
Old 11-30-2002, 05:54 PM   #10
Kirinki54
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Perhaps I misunderstand this line from your original quote:

Quote:
and there also were many other creatures that have not been seen upon Middle-earth, and perhaps never now shall be, since the fashion of the world has changed
Do you mean Tolkien meant they were there but not seen, or what?
Old 11-30-2002, 06:08 PM   #11
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Hey Dylan, be nice to Kirinki. He's my buddy.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 10:05 PM   #12
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Quote:
Do you mean Tolkien meant they were there but not seen, or what?
The words are, as you noticed, "there were also", "also" is used after the quote states "For all living things that are or have been in the Kingdom of Arda ... lived then in the land of Aman". In other words: all living things that are in Arda, or ever have been, were in Valinor, but there were also creatures living in Valinor that we have never seen. These unseen creatures are unseen because they have never lived in Middle-earth.

So in Valinor there are all the creatures we do know about, and many creatures we do not.

Last edited by Ñólendil : 12-03-2002 at 10:06 PM.
Ñólendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 07:22 PM   #13
Lollypopgurl
Elven Warrior

If they ever make a movie out of the Silmarillion, they betta include some animals.
Old 12-19-2002, 01:19 AM   #14
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Here, here!
Old 12-20-2002, 01:34 PM   #15
Elvellon
Elf Lord

Quote:
The words are, as you noticed, "there were also", "also" is used after the quote states "For all living things that are or have been in the Kingdom of Arda ... lived then in the land of Aman". In other words: all living things that are in Arda, or ever have been, were in Valinor, but there were also creatures living in Valinor that we have never seen. These unseen creatures are unseen because they have never lived in Middle-earth.

So in Valinor there are all the creatures we do know about, and many creatures we do not.

I don’t entirely agree with that interpretation, Ñolendil.

I believe it is likely to mean that, since the marring of the world by Morgoth, (when he destroyed the Two Lamps), those species became extinct in Middle Earth, but survived in Aman.

Reality is just an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

The Caffeine Mantra
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of Brazil that the thoughts aquire speed,
The hands aquire shaking,
the shaking becomes a warning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion...

Elvellon Erelion
Elvellon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 08:07 PM   #16
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

I think that "and now never shall be, since the world has changed" is rather meant to mean "there is not now any way for those unseen creatures to come to Middle-earth and be seen". I don't think they ever lived here.
Old 12-23-2002, 02:04 AM   #17
Curandir
Hobbit

Gimli

I agree Ñólendil, I got the distinct impression that said creatures did not and will not ever appear in ME. Which brings us back to the orideonal question "What were they?" Perhaps Tolkien just wanted to leave it ambiguous for the readers imagination, but that hardly seems like Tolkien.
Old 12-24-2002, 05:00 PM   #18
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

I think it does sound like Tolkien, and awful lot like Tolkien. Some things he just didn't explain, and on purpose, think of the fate of Shelob, and the "nameless things" in the depths of Mória, think of Caradhras, and Bombadil, and Goldberry, and the Questioner of Barad-dûr, and many others. I think there was quite a bit Tolkien didn't care to clarify or explain.
Old 12-25-2002, 08:12 PM   #19
Kirinki54
Elven Warrior

The key point is still that Tolkien used the word "perhaps".