Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-14-2001, 10:30 AM   #1
easterlinge
Elven Warrior

Who was she?

Who on Arda was Dior Eluchil's wife? We know who his mother was (Luthien), and his daughter Elwing was Earendil's wife, but who was Dior's wife?
easterlinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2001, 10:35 AM   #2
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Nimloth.

She was of the kindred of Celeborn. Well, at last in the published Sil.
Old 08-14-2001, 10:40 AM   #3
easterlinge
Elven Warrior

I don't remember Nimloth very well. Who was she, and what was she like?
easterlinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2001, 05:02 PM   #4
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

The latest idea of Tolkien's was indeed that her name was Nimloth and that she was a kinswoman of Celeborn. Here's what Christopher Tolkien said about her genealogy in The War of the Jewels:
Quote:
The name Nimloth was adopted in the published Silmarillion on account of its appearance in the series of Elvish genealogies which can be dated to December 1959. This table gives the descendants of Elwë (Thingol) and of his younger brother Elmo, of whom it is said that he was 'beloved of Elwë with whom he remained.' On one side of the table (descent from Elwë) the wife of Dior Eluchil (Thingol's heir) is Nimloth 'sister of Celeborn'. Similarly on the other side, Elmo's son is Galadhon, and Galadhon has two sons, Galathil and Celeborn 'prince of Doriath', and a daughter Nimloth, wife of Dior Eluchil. But on the same table Nimloth wife of Dior also appears as the daughter of Galathil (thus in the first case she was the second cousin of Dior, and in the latter the third cousin of Elwing). It is clear from rough pencillings on this page that my father was uncertain about this, and it looks as if Nimloth as niece of Celeborn was his second thought. I referred to this genealogy in Unfinished Tales, p. 233, but did not mention the alternative placing of Nimloth as Celeborn's sister.
I'm not sure if there are any extant writings talking about her character.