Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-02-2002, 05:29 AM   #1
The Ringbearer
Elven Warrior

Location: Crickhollow in the summer, and Rivendell in the winter
Gollum Converts to LotR!!!

I've made 2 converts to LotR in the last few months! And one of them didn't even LIKE LotR before she began reading the books and watching the movies! Has anyone else had similar experiences?

'But you're a part of this world! Aren't you?'

Frodo lives!
The Ringbearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 04:47 PM   #2
Goldberry1
Elven Warrior

My cousin said that the movie was so stupid, so naturally I tried to get her to watch FOTR while we were on vacation, and she did watch parts of it. Then when we went home and she actually went out and rented it!! She's trying to start the books but hasn't had much time because of school. She really likes it now though.
Old 12-02-2002, 07:22 PM   #3
Sminty_Smeagol
Manic Cardboard-Box Dweller

I have gotten 2 friends in to the movies/books. And one in to Tengwar. Those I can safely say are MY converts. However, I think I have enfluenced many people in my class, and they know I am THE tolkienist in my class, so ocassionally people will mention that they watched LOTR, or ask me about Tengwar, and they know I am knowledged in it and would like to converse about it.

But then I have a friend who has been reading LOTR every year for like, 3 years, and I was very complimented when he assumed I was very tolkien-wise, and was surprised that I have only been reading it one year. I really am not knowledged LOTR -I have only read it once, and that was a year ago, and I have a hard time remembering characters outside the Fellowship- but I have read the Silm, parts of HomE and Unfinished Tales. And of course I was EXTREMELY complimented when he assumed I knew more than him about ME.

Anyone know how to get a hand on HoME? The whole series?
Sminty_Smeagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 07:29 PM   #4
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I've heard you can order the whole series on Amazon.com for a good price. Still pretty pricey, though.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 11:17 PM   #5
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Quote:
Originally posted by Sminty_Smeagol
Anyone know how to get a hand on HoME? The whole series?
You could try the library. My local library has all the HoME, I think.

Well, I have converted two people. A few years ago, I made my sister read the books and now she loves them. And a few months ago I kept talking about the LOTR book and movie to a friend of mine, so we went to see the movie. I tried to get him to read the books, but he hasn't yet.
Old 12-03-2002, 12:16 AM   #6
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Well, I tried to get my mother to read The Hobbit. This was after I dragged her to the theater to see FotR. She didn't even get to the part with Bilbo and the Trolls. She says that there were too many dwarves and people to keep up with. At least I tried.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 10:26 AM   #7
Inderjit Sanghera
Elven Warrior

Thoguh I try to encourage people to read them, I don't pursue it very far. If they don't like LOTr, then they don't like whether they think it is stupid or for losers. It's their decision. I have got a few friends who have a little intrest in M-E, but they aren't really intrested in it.
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 11:34 AM   #8
Agburanar
Elf Lord

My sister watched the movie and thought it was brilliant . Then I leant her the books and now she is totally anti-movie and pro-book. Hooray!

ROLLING STOCK, WE'RE ROLLING STOCK!!
Agburanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 12:08 PM   #9
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Moving to Lord of the Rings book forum.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 11:03 PM   #10
Khadrane
Elf Lord

A friend of mine read The Hobbit in fifth grade because I convinced her to and never told me she hated it until about a year ago. But when the LotR movie came out, she read it again and loved it, and then she read LotR, and now Tolkien is her favorite author. (At least, he was a few months ago) I'm happy!

FRODO LIVES!

ABORTION IS HOMICIDE
Khadrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 11:15 AM   #11
Nimphredil
Sapling

Quote:
Originally posted by Khamûl
Well, I tried to get my mother to read The Hobbit
My mother was the person who convinced me to read the Hobbit. At first i wasn't interested to it at all and didn't want to read it. But then i started to read the part where Bilbo and Gollum are solving the riddles and then i was hooked. That was years ago, and now i have read (don't know how many times) lotr and sil also. My mother has read the lotr also, but she keeps forgotting all the names, she has made me way bigger fan that she is.

I don't have such luck - none of my friends want to read it. One of them just asked (while he was looking over my shoulder) what's a hobbit. btw he has seen the movie, and he doesn't remember anything from it and he never wants to see it again. I tried to explain that the book and the movie are compleately different things. But he isn't a big reader, so why push it.
Nimphredil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 11:36 AM   #12
WallRocker
Elven Warrior

My Mom was the first one to get me to read the Hobbit as well. Then I picked up LOTR when the movie came out(fortunately, before I saw the movie). After my Mom saw the movie, she admitted to me that she had never read the books! So she is now starting FOTR. It'll take her awhile to get throught it, but I'm making sure it happens
WallRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 10:59 PM   #13
Elven Princess Arwen
Sapling

I'm in the process of trying to convert my friend but she refuses. She doesn't like LOTR, she doesn't like Harry Potter (thank god or she'd drive me insane) but i'll convert her yet!

“All things are connected like the blood which unites us all. Man did not weave the web of life; he is merely a strand of it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself.” -Chief Seattle

“How is it possible that suffering that is neither my own nor of my concern should immediately affect me as though it were my own?” -Schopenhauer

*~*Arwen*~*
Elven Princess Arwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 11:16 PM   #14
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

I made my whole family into LOtR converts!! My mom is reading the book aloud to my smaller siblings, while my 14 year old brother is currently on "The Return of the King." Isn't it wonderful...but I think everyone in the world should read JRRT's series at least ONCE. That would be ideal.
I think everyone should start buying cheap copies of FoTR and leave them on airport seats, restaurants, places like that...with bookplates telling the finder to keep the book, read it, and put it somewhere else.

Haha. Nice idea, few funds.
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 10:06 AM   #15
Agburanar
Elf Lord

You talk of LotR like it's a religion..... instead of a whole lifestyle!

ROLLING STOCK, WE'RE ROLLING STOCK!!
Agburanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 02:56 PM   #16
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

I read The Hobbit to my daughters. The rest they did on their own. They are both fanatical JRRT fans.
Old 12-07-2002, 02:09 PM   #17
TolkienGurl
Hobbit

My two little boy cousins (6 and 10 years old) are my new converts to The Lord of the Rings. First they watched the Fellowship with me, and then the extended DVD, and now they want me to read them the Hobbit! Oh, and their Christmas list consists of ALL the LotR action figures! Every time I see them they ask me a TON of really intelligent questions. I'm so happy they like LotR! I'm a cool cousin.
TolkienGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 12:40 AM   #18
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

Quote:
Originally posted by Agburanar
You talk of LotR like it's a religion..... instead of a whole lifestyle!
See...I don't personally think it's either...just a wonderful book. I guess I already have a religion and don't have time for an alternate lifestyle. High school is confusing enough!
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 11:01 AM   #19
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

I have tried to convert two of my friends to LotR.
One of them have almost finished it, he loves the movie (but mostly because of the sword-fighting), and the other one got to Caradhras, before he stopped reading it

So now most people in my class thinks the guy who loves sword-fighting (and haven't finished RotK yet) is the Tolkienist...
Well well, let them live their lives in unconciusness!

Last edited by Falagar : 12-14-2002 at 06:51 PM.
Falagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 09:37 PM   #20
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

Quote:
However, I think I have enfluenced many people in my class, and they know I am THE tolkienist in my class, so ocassionally people will mention that they watched LOTR, or ask me about Tengwar, and they know I am knowledged in it and would like to converse about it.
Yup, people will personly mention it around me. "I saw The Fellowship of the Ring yesturday, Jennifer" if they arn't scared that I'll get into a long conversation. To get me mad some people purposly say things like "Isn't LOTR stupid?" to ther friend when I am standing right there beside them. Some people make me so mad!

Movie vewing count from the theater:
Return of the King:9
Two Towers: 11
Fellowship: 13

FRODO LIVES!
samwiselvr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote