Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-20-2003, 03:49 AM   #1
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Kids today

Do you think there is a problem with the kids today.

Unruly, apathy,...

is it the parents or society

or is it that kids will be kids?

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 09:15 AM   #2
Lady of Rohan
Doughy Elf

I'm still a kid and I don't think that there is any thing wrong with kids in general. Maybe only some kids are the problem.
Lady of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 09:29 AM   #3
Elf Girl
Lurker

I'm 12. When I first revealed that to the people on Entmoot, they seemed to think I was 17. Go figure.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 09:46 AM   #4
Elenka
The Negative Soul of Entmoot

I'm 12-going-on-22. I'll be 13/22 in March.

I think kids are a little over the edge most days, but I've never been a problem kid (something I need to change) and I've never hung out with the problem kids, so I don't really have a sense of how bad it is.

On the other hand, I've always held the firm belief that other kids are all stupid until proven to posess a shred of inteligence.

War doesn't determine who is right - war determines who is left.
Elenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 10:37 AM   #5
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

I don't think kids are more of a problem than adults.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 10:44 AM   #6
Elenka
The Negative Soul of Entmoot

Excellent point.

War doesn't determine who is right - war determines who is left.
Elenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 10:47 AM   #7
Dunadan
The Quite Querulous Quendi

No, if there's a problem, it's with adults. These days we seem to be terrified to let kids out of our sight. We want to control their environment in a way that is both unhealthy and impossible. And in doing so, we expose them to more real sources of harm (a child is far more likely to be harmed by a member of their own family than by a stranger, etc.) and stunt their abilities to assess risk and make their own decisions.

Apathy was a problem when I was a kid in the late 70s & early 80s too. In the UK, Thatcher succeeded in terrifying an entire generation into thinking they had to toe the line or join the dole queue. But today there seems to be a new movement towards political activism (environmentalism, anti-globalisation) which is refreshing.

cheers

d.
Dunadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 10:59 AM   #8
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

What problems there are are found in human nature - I don't think it matters whether you are an adult or a child. Furthermore, different people become adults at different times, so it's hard to tell just where child stops and adult begins. How can you make a general statement about something like this? It's on a person-to-person basis, IMO.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

Old 01-20-2003, 11:05 AM   #9
Elven Archer
Elven Warrior

i think kids and teenagers today have big problems. I've seen really little kids cuss and hit people and be just really really rude. same with teenagers. Teenagers also have problems with respect to elders or anybody for that matter.more and more teenagers are dressing skimpy and trashy. lots of kids and teenagers have problems with drugs wich is really sad. there's alotmore stuff wrong with kids and teenagers but there's also alot wrong with adults like FF said. It's the parents job to raise the kid and to keep 'em on the right path but they can't do that if they're just as bad as their kids are turning out to be. also the society and media don't help any.
Old 01-20-2003, 11:09 AM   #10
Celebréiel
Elven Warrior

Yeah, I generally think kids are okay. the only kids I have problems with are the ones dressing like their 23! And then when they finally grow up they realize they've wasted their childhood and get plastic surgury and botox in some attempt to regain their younger years. Or maybe im full of it... but botox really bugs me...i think im off topic.. yeah I think adults have problems too.
~Celebréiel
Celebréiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 11:25 AM   #11
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

I don't know, Elven Archer . . . where do you think kids learn all that stuff? From adults. So why is something worse if a kid does it than if an adult does? It sucks either way, IMO. Besides, I'm so sick of people judging me just because I don't have the proper numbers - I'm still a thinking, rational person with a right to an opinion, who is equally to every other person on the planet.

Old 01-20-2003, 12:09 PM   #12
Elf.Freak
Orli's lil fan

even though i'm a kid, i think there is a problem with some kids. i mean, one girl phoned my friend, tried to disguise her voice as my best friend's, and threatened to kill her (trying to be funny).

so, i guess you see my point.
~
I've gotta new avatar! looks kinda like me...anime style!
~
LOST: Orlando Bloom. If found, please send him straight to Elf.Freak
Elf.Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 04:13 PM   #13
gimli-son-of-gloin13
Elven Warrior

well with some kids its their family, if they have horrible parents and neiborhood (sp?) then they r most likely to be like that but also with some kids, in that situation, know how horrible it is to be like that so they change into a good kid but on the other hand, if they grow up in a wonderful home and everything is perfect they dont want to be like that so they "go bad" or they could just stay like that. i think it just has to do with the kid

Do you have any personality disorders, click here and see!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://public.findlaw.com/states_new.html

Find your rights as a student!
gimli-son-of-gloin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 04:28 PM   #14
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

All the psychologists in the world can't figure out the human mind. Hobbits, on the other hand . . . - relaxes under a tree and starts eating an apple - . . . are easily understood.

Old 01-20-2003, 06:32 PM   #15
Huan
Elven Warrior

I can't speak for the rest of the world, but I think that both kids and adults are generally in a very sorry state here in America. We have almost ceased to have any sense of history or culture. And I do think that here in the States parents have gotten too afraid to exert any kind of control over their children. I get the impression that this thread is speaking mostly of older kids and teenagers, but parents are doing wrong by their little kids as well these days. They don't tell a little kid to stop whining, they give in to it. And they let their brats scream and yell in public rather than telling them to shut up.
Huan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 08:57 PM   #16
Sminty_Smeagol
Manic Cardboard-Box Dweller

I think there's a lot of emphasis on youth. They're forced to grow up faster, they're the main target of lots of advertising because people know that kids are impressionable, and what's worse... they're the next generation. Kids these days have been selling in to sex a lot. So there's all this power and focus on youth...

It's like... "Live life now, before you get old and lose your vigor and shiz!" so the youth is forced in to maturing quickly and it seems they're more ornery than ever. Too much emphasis put on 13-18 year olds...
Old 01-20-2003, 09:05 PM   #17
wahine
The Original Amazonian Coconut

I know I am pulling a psycho-something or other hear. But it is the parents fault. The way I see it, kids don't get enough punishment, that sounds bad, but kids not only need punichment they want it. They like to knowwhen they've corssed the line. All this
"don't spank your children"
crap is the same old bull. Some parents take it to far, yes, but that doesn't mean punishment is wrong. that's where "kids" today have gone wrong.

I never got punished and look where I am.

In my living room, glued to the pc.
Old 01-20-2003, 09:05 PM   #18
Legolas_Frodo_Aragorn
The Elven Queen Of All Pyros

Location: Im like a little bug stuck in the lamp...never going anywhere
Kids

I think that there is some problems with kids today. I know that i have way to much stress put on me with school any parents. Kids today are more stressed a pressured than before. A study showed that the amount of stress that kids have today was the same with people who were mentally ill in the 50s..But kids are also more violent and forced to grow up to fast.

Procrastinators Unite!!!.....tomorrrow....

Kids in backseats cause accidents...accidents in backseats cause kids

As long as there are tests..there will be prayers in school
Legolas_Frodo_Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 09:05 PM   #19
Evenstar1400
Elven Warrior

I'm 13. i think us kids are okay, at times. the problem with us is that we never really get a chance to feel young, with all the homework and worries put on us. the issue with the US going to war freaks me out alot, and i have a friend that is paranoid about us getting bombed. we just have been through alot, and its forced us to grow up faster than we shouldhave.
Old 01-20-2003, 09:16 PM   #20
Sminty_Smeagol
Manic Cardboard-Box Dweller

Quote:
Originally posted by wahine
I know I am pulling a psycho-something or other hear. But it is the parents fault. The way I see it, kids don't get enough punishment, that sounds bad, but kids not only need punichment they want it. They like to knowwhen they've corssed the line. All this
"don't spank your children"
crap is the same old bull. Some parents take it to far, yes, but that doesn't mean punishment is wrong. that's where "kids" today have gone wrong.

I never got punished and look where I am.

In my living room, glued to the pc.
I think it is a case-to-case scenario. Some kids are better with different ways of handling things. My parents spanked me and my brothers... it worked fine for them (my brothers), they're good guys. But I... heh... I have psychiatrist appointments every week and.. scars... and yet we were raised exactly the same way.

The same methods don't apply to everyone.

Last edited by Sminty_Smeagol : 01-20-2003 at 09:17 PM.
Sminty_Smeagol is offline   Reply With Quote