Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-07-2002, 02:14 PM   #1
Caleb
Hobbit

Errand of sons of Elrond

In the Fellowship of the ring when the scouts came back to Rivendell it says the sons of Elrond went and spoke to Elrond of their errand, but would speak of it to no other. Does anyone know where they went, what they did, and what their errand was.
Old 09-07-2002, 03:44 PM   #2
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
The sons of Elrond. Elladan and Elrohir, were the last to return; they had made a great journey, passing down the Silverlode into a strange country, but of their errand they would not speak to any save to Elrond.
I believe they journeyed to Lorien and spoke to Galadriel about the quest of the Fellowship. The Silverlode (Celebrant) runs into Lorien, and Galadriel knew about each member of the Fellowship when they entered Lorien.
Old 09-07-2002, 05:10 PM   #3
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

Of course Galadriel had cool ring powers, and was the oldest Elf after Cirdan (and possibly Celeborn) around so she knew a lot anyways.
Old 09-16-2002, 04:05 PM   #4
Snowdog
Dúnedain Ranger of the North

Gimli

I always assumed they visited Lorien and held council with Galadriel.
Old 09-17-2002, 02:31 PM   #5
Nilvasaien
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Snowdog
I always assumed they visited Lorien and held council with Galadriel.
Me too!
Old 09-26-2002, 04:09 PM   #6
Maren
Hobbit

I just read that part today (I'm rereading the Fellowship) and I wondered the same thing. I didn't have a map with me, but that Silverlode idea makes a lot of sense.

Van?!?!?! Red, right?
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 10:20 PM   #7
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

They always first and formost were about vendicating there mother's torment. I think this was their chief motive, but they took council with Galadriel, thier mother's mother and were always aware of the quest.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 08:55 AM   #8
Reumandar
Elven Warrior

Location: The Land of Fire and Ice ('Tis a country You will never guess it)
this might be off subject but... what happend to there mother?
did she die or was she just tormented

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Then Thorondor bore up Glorfindel's
body out of the abyss, and they buried
him in a mound of stones beside the
pass; and a green turf came there, and
yellow flowers bloomed upon it amid the
barrenness of stone, until the world
was changed.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Oh Potter you Rotter, Oh what have you done
Your killing off the students, you think it's good fun
Reumandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 11:02 AM   #9
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Reumandar
this might be off subject but... what happend to there mother?
did she die or was she just tormented
She was captured by Orcs and tormented to such an extream, that after her sons rescued her, she lost all love for life in Middle-earth. She went to Valinor.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 03:35 PM   #10
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I just came across this info in Letter #211 of "The Letters of JRR Tolkien" (a must-read ) and thought of this thread, so here it is, from a fellow Elrohir and Elladan fan(me), from a letter written by Tolkien himself :
Quote:
Elrohir, Elladan: these names, given to his sons by Elrond, refer to the fact that they were 'half-elven': they had mortal as well as Elvish ancestors on both sides; Tuor on their father's side, Beren on their mother's. Both signify elf+man. Elrohir might be translated "elf-knight'; rohir being a later form of rochir "horse-lord" ... Elladan might be translated "Elf-Numenorean'. Adan (pl. Edain) was the Sindarin form of the name given to the 'fathers of men', the members of the Three Houses of Elf-friends, whose survivors afterwards became the Numenoreans, or Dun-edain.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 05:14 PM   #11
Kirinki54
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
They always first and formost were about vendicating there mother's torment. I think this was their chief motive, but they took council with Galadriel, thier mother's mother and were always aware of the quest.
Yes. It is very likely they went to Lothlorien as scouts and messengers. When it came to the brothers always hunting Orcs, I think they did not act randomly but in council foremost with their father and secondly with the dunadain. Why not put their restless vengance into a strategic perspective? Elrond was wise enough to cooperate with the inevitable.
'They need more gardens,' said Legolas. 'The houses are dead, and there is too little here that grows and is glad. If Aragorn comes into his own, the people of the Wood shall bring him birds that sing and trees that do not die.'
Kirinki54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 09:11 PM   #12
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
Tuor on their father's side, Beren on their mother's

On their MOTHER's side?

how so?

Celebrain was the daughter of Galadriel full elf and Celeborn full elf.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 12:48 AM   #13
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

How funny, afro-elf! You've caught JRRT in an error about his own work!!! I was just mindlessly typing in the quote, thinking about the meanings of the names, which I thought was interesting and people in this thread might want to know about, and didn't even think about the ancestry part! You're absolutely right! It's Elrond who has mortal ancestors on both sides - Tuor on his father's, and Beren on his mother's. Major points for you!!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 10:03 AM   #14
Keith K
Elf Lord

I find it interesting that all three of Elronds' children forsook their Elven heritage and chose to be accounted among the human race.
Keith K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 10:21 AM   #15
GandalfTheWhite
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith K
I find it interesting that all three of Elronds' children forsook their Elven heritage and chose to be accounted among the human race.
didnt one of his brothers too? was elros his brother or am i just thinin crazy cuz its too early?

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

"He who breaks a thing to find out what it is, has left the path of wisdom."
-Gandalf

"A thing is about to happen which has not happened since the Elder Days: the Ents are going to wake up and find that they are strong."
-Gandalf
GandalfTheWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 10:43 AM   #16
Keith K
Elf Lord

You are quite correct GandalfTheWhite, Elronds brother Elros also chose to be accounted human. The blood of the House of Hador ran strong through all of that line.
Perhaps it was the mystery of being human that drew the majority of the Half-elven to choose that fate over an Elven heritage. The Elves seemed to have more of a predestined fate as opposed to Humans. If being human meant having more choices in determining your fate I can better understand why so many chose to remain human. More options in lifestyle were available to humans it seems. The fate and history of Elves were written by Illuvitar while that of Men was left open.
Old 11-11-2002, 10:52 AM   #17
GandalfTheWhite
Elven Warrior

if aragorn was in the blood line of elros and elros was half elven, how come aragorn is not half elven and immortal?

-Gandalf

"A thing is about to happen which has not happened since the Elder Days: the Ents are going to wake up and find that they are strong."
-Gandalf
Old 11-11-2002, 11:35 AM   #18
Dunadan
The Quite Querulous Quendi

I think it's because, once Elros had made his decision, his heirs were bound by it. So you can understand the Numenorean kings' disappointment.

Arwen still had the choice because she was "second generation" halfelven, so to speak. Thereafter, all her kin would be bound by her choice.

Someone mentioned Elladan and Elrohir choosing a mortal life. What's the source for this?

cheers

D.
Dunadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 01:02 PM   #19
GandalfTheWhite
Elven Warrior

who did elros marry?

-Gandalf

-Gandalf
Old 11-11-2002, 11:39 PM   #20
Keith K
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Dunadan
I think it's because, once Elros had made his decision, his heirs were bound by it. So you can understand the Numenorean kings' disappointment.

Arwen still had the choice because she was "second generation" halfelven, so to speak. Thereafter, all her kin would be bound by her choice.

Someone mentioned Elladan and Elrohir choosing a mortal life. What's the source for this?

cheers

D.
Quote:
I am searching for the source and will post it when I discover it. However it is written that when Elrond at last forsook mortal lands his children must at that time choose whether to go with him or remain in ME as mortals. (ROTK, appendix A, part V). I do not believe that the sons of Elrond accompanied him to Eldamar. Therefore, they must have become mortal.
The source I am thinking of contains a blurb concerning Celeborn after the deparure of Galadriel. Appearantly he moved out of the Naith and founded East Lorien accross the river in the formerly named Mirkwood Forest. The sons of Elrond joined him there I believe.