Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-15-2002, 07:53 PM   #1
webwizard333
Elf Lord

Tom Clancey

I read a few of his books when I was younger, but they were over my head. I've started to read them again (in the order published) and am greatly enjoying them. I personally like his attention to detail so the scenario comes out as realistic. Also, his characters are very well depicted.
Old 07-16-2002, 09:39 PM   #2
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

I've never had time to read his work (it's pretty low-priority on my list considering how much other stuff I want to get through first, and I'm no real fan of series fiction) but if I were to start, where would you recommend I begin?
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 10:14 PM   #3
webwizard333
Elf Lord

I've decided to go in order published, so I started out with Hunt for Red October, moved on to Red Storm Rising, and so on. Unfortunately my library can hardly be called well stocked (or well staffed ), so I'll have to look up on Amazon the ones I mssed and get them at bookstores or order them from some of the other libraries.
Old 07-17-2002, 09:09 PM   #4
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

I've read several of his books and I loved them all. When I first started, I didn't realize that there was any kind of chronology involved. I don't remember if I read Patriot Games or The Hunt for Red October first. I've also read Clear and Present Danger, Without Remorse, and I'm currently reading The Sum of All Fears. Patriot Games is my favorite. They're all very good books.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 05:52 AM   #5
viggosbeard
Elven Warrior

I paticularly enjoyed red storm rising and sum of all fears - i think hes a great writer but some of the info does take a recap every so often ! I bet the british secret service read his books to fing out whats happening in the world.
And your ride home
You cant avoid her
Shes in the air
In between molecules
Of Oxygen and Carbon Dioxide
Only in dreams
viggosbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 03:25 PM   #6
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

He writes using impecable sources. The services of which he speaks all read his stuff and give him a lot of input.
Some of the senarios are too real. That's what disappointed me about sum of all fears movie. They took an arab terrorist like group using a nuke on NY and changed it to a domestic terrorist bombing the super bowl. Also in another recent release, Nazi's were used as the villians while the book had them as Arabs. Hollywod just doesn't get it.
Old 07-19-2002, 04:28 PM   #7
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

I liked Without Remorse.
Old 07-21-2002, 02:30 AM   #8
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

That was a nice, dark, twisted tale of revenge wasn't it?

Old 03-09-2003, 12:47 PM   #9
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Tom Clancy

I am thinking of reading some of Tom Clancy. I have read that he includes very much knowledge of weapons, politics, military tacticts and that sort of things in his novels. I believe that three of his books has hit the cinemas, The Sum of all Fears as the latest book.
Now I wonder if anyone has read anything by Clancy and recommends any of his books. Which novel is the best? Which should I start with? Or should I forget every thought of reading Clancy and start reading LotR for the third time?
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 05:37 AM   #10
Millane
The Dude

my favourite Tom Clancy book was definately Rainbow Six but if your looking for a good military read i suggest War of the Rats by David Robbins... it was the story of Stalingrad from the German and Russian armies greatest snipers fighting it out to kill the other first... hmmm thats gotta be one of the greatest books ever... But if youve got your heart set on Tom Clancy id definately go Rainbow Six
Old 03-13-2003, 05:38 AM   #11
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Clancy's books are far more interesting and frightening than the movies which make major changes to be p.c. and don't allow your mind to "see" but rather depend on special effects. His only book that is "slow" is "Net Force" otherwise pick one up at any library and enjoy.
Old 03-13-2003, 09:23 AM   #12
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Rainbow Six is by far the best that I've read.

After that, The Cardinal of the Kremlin and of course the old favorite, The Hunt for Red October.

His other books that I've read were too technical for me, not to mention his female characters are always so terrible and sometimes the men aren't much better, so I wouldn't recommend them.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 11:13 AM   #13
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Not a big Clancy fan, but did enjoy "Clear and Present Danger" (liked the movie too). A little less black and white.

My main complaint about "Red October" was that it was too one-sided (in the story sense) The U.S. Navy was so much more powerful than the Russkies that it killed the suspense - I know this was true in real life, but it doesn't make for an interesting tale -(one reason I don't like Grisham either).

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 01:17 AM   #14
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

I cannot believe that there's not already a Tom Clancy thread around here. If someone finds one, let me know.

The Hunt for Red October is a good place to start. Clear and Present Danger is also very good, but I'd have to say that my favorite is Patriot Games. I haven't read Rainbow Six though.

Old 03-14-2003, 12:05 PM   #15
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
When I bought Clancy's Shadow Warriors: Inside the Special Forces I saw a list of other Mil.Hist.-books by Clancy and consequently I ordered those about the Marines, the Airborne Task Forces, a fighter wing, a carrier and a submarine as well.

Last edited by Grey_Wolf : 03-15-2003 at 07:12 AM.
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 04:54 PM   #16
TheWhiteRider
Elven Warrior

I have fully read Rainbow Six, which i am suprised no one else has, but i have started several others of his. I just wanted to read some other books first.

"Begun, the Clone War has..."
~Yoda

"I can't see, as I'm facing your pitiful lies, don't have the strength, to carry your heavy load of lies."
~H.I.M.
TheWhiteRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 10:52 PM   #17
Aralyn
FloraAzul

Location: Anywhere as long as there is a library in a one mile radius of here
I've read Sum of All Fears and I like it. I don't do chronoligical order with his books but read them as I feel. My dad has the game Rainbow Six (computer game) and the second one Desert something I think. V.Fun.
. . . just checked it's Rogue Spear not Desert something

Yet many shall be amazed when they see Him-yes even far off foreign nations and thier kings; they shall stand dumb-founded, speechless in his prescence. For they shall see and understand what they had not seen before-Isaiah 52:15a

Civil War- 498,332 dead
WWI-116,708 dead
WWII-407,316 dead
Korean War-54,246 dead
Vietnam War-58,665 dead
Persian Gulf-372 dead
War on The Unborn=35,000,000 dead and counting

Last edited by Aralyn : 04-09-2003 at 10:54 PM.
Aralyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 04:55 AM   #18
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

I just got done reading Rainbow Six and I thought it was really good. It's about environmental fanatics and an elite anti-terrorist organisation. I highly recommend it.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 10:21 AM   #19
Aralyn
FloraAzul

Location: Anywhere as long as there is a library in a one mile radius of here
HERE IT IS!!! I KNEW IT WAS IN HERE SOMEWHERE!!!

Yet many shall be amazed when they see Him-yes even far off foreign nations and thier kings; they shall stand dumb-founded, speechless in his prescence. For they shall see and understand what they had not seen before-Isaiah 52:15a

Civil War- 498,332 dead
WWI-116,708 dead
WWII-407,316 dead
Korean War-54,246 dead
Vietnam War-58,665 dead
Persian Gulf-372 dead
War on The Unborn=35,000,000 dead and counting
Aralyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 04:04 PM   #20
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Threads merged.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote