Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-28-2002, 06:08 AM   #1
Richard Love
Sapling

Gandalf I need your help!

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help. I have just started a new job in Birmingham and I have been asked to put together a leaflet about the Two Towers in Birmingham which are said two have inspired Minas Morgul and Minas Tirith. The thing is my knowledge of Lord of the Rings is rubbish. Can anyone help me with the following questions:

Q. Did the Nazgul modify Minas Morgul enabling the the top section to rotate and the walls to give out a strange fearful pale light?

Q. Did Sauron capture Minas Tirith?

Q. If so, was the tower recaptured from Sauron and destroyed?

Sorry to sound so thick, as I am sure these are probably really obvious questions.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Richard
Richard Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 11:29 AM   #2
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

From TTT

"all was dark about it, earth and sky, but it was lit with light. Not the imprisoned moonlight welling through the marble walls.......a coprse-light, a light that illuminated nothing. In the walls and tower windows showed like coutless black holes looking inward into emptiness; but the topmost course of the tower revolved slowly, first one way and then another, a huge ghostly head leering into the night." ORIGINALLY IT WAS CALLED MINAS ITHIL AND IT DID NOT ROTATE OR REVOLVE

Minas Tirith is the "white city" capitol of the realm of Gondor. It was not captured although the gates were blasted open and some damage did occur during the fighting.

Last edited by Spock : 08-28-2002 at 11:30 AM.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 11:43 AM   #3
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

I'm impressed that those towers "inspired" Minas Ithil and Minas Tirith. Must have been impressive. I wonder who has read HoME and knows when the realm of Gondor was thought up?