Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-26-2000, 06:28 PM   #1
Finduilas

New Tolkien movie article

I found out about this one from the Tolkien Mailing List. It's the first article on the "Arts" section:
URL: www.the-times.co.uk/
Title: Tolkien about me, my elf and I - and Middle Earth

Opinion: It just reinforces my earlier opinion of the movies.
Old 07-26-2000, 08:48 PM   #2
Gilthalion

And another one...

Here's another news item about the movies...

entertainment.msn.com/cel...Things.asp

Old 07-26-2000, 09:05 PM   #3
Fat middle

Re: New Tolkien movie article

Quote:
For the uninitiated, Galadriel is the good sister of the evil but beautiful Queen Beruthiel, who imprisons the Fellowship of the Ring in the forest of Lothlorien. In the book, Galadriel frees them from her sister's clutches.
Opinion: It just reinforces my earlier opinion of The Times
Old 07-26-2000, 09:18 PM   #4
Gilthalion

EEP!

The above quoted passage from the Times article is stunning. Where did the writer get that information? Is it disinformation to keep us in a forment? The writer had never read the books (uninitiated) obviously. I hope this is not really going to be in the screenplay. How abominable!
Old 07-26-2000, 10:46 PM   #5
Wizard of the Secret Fire

Re: EEP!

No need to worry...

It is from a Hoax web site set up to look like a synopsis of LOTR. It can be used to capture lazy students who don't take the time to read the books. And reporters

www.speakeasy.org/~ohh/homework.htm

Old 07-26-2000, 10:53 PM   #6
Eruve

Is that ever hilarious!!! :lol:
That reporter is so busted!! :rollin:
Old 07-26-2000, 11:16 PM   #7
bmilder

:lol:
I can't believe that. Someone should write to them.
Old 07-27-2000, 04:02 AM   #8
noldo

I didn't like that.
Old 07-27-2000, 10:08 AM   #9
Wizard of the Secret Fire

Too bad that he did not include this from the same site :lol: :

Gandalf sacrifices his life to destroy Radagast the Balrog, and the others escape the mountains while the battle rages. At the end of the book, however, the Fellowship is destroyed from within; Glorfindel, lusting for power, tries to kill Frodo for the Ring. Aragorn stops Glorfindel by shooting him through the throat with a black arrow; Glorfindel dies, but not until he maliciously sets fire to the grasslands. In the resulting smoke and confusion the Fellowship of the Ring is hopelessly scattered.
Old 07-27-2000, 10:43 AM   #10
Fat middle

Quote:
Perhaps one day we'll have this all down to the point where someone can just download a book-report straight from the Web without ever having to read the books at all. Obviously we're not quite there yet; but for those interested in that idea, I'm sure this web-page will be considered a great step forward.
:rollin:
Old 07-27-2000, 06:22 PM   #11
bmilder

Hehe, I've sent them a letter. I'm sure they've gotten plenty of other letters too. I've also put a little note up about it at the site, crediting Finduilas, FM, and WOTSF.
Old 07-27-2000, 09:38 PM   #12
Eruve

I'm sure they've heard about the boo boo at the Times already. The Tolkien news groups were having a field day with it. One of the posters is the webmaster of the Sarcasm Page and another claimed to work at the Times and promised to point out the mistake...
Old 07-27-2000, 09:46 PM   #13
Fat middle

sure! a little note at one corner with a minuscule font size
Old 07-28-2000, 07:58 PM   #14
Darth Tater

:lol: :rollin: I am literally laughing out laud about this one!!! :lol: :rollin:

Someone better have gotten fired over that!!! I'm never buying the Times!!! :lol:
Old 07-29-2000, 05:02 AM   #15
arynetrek

i just went to the Times site & looked for the article, & it's apparently gone - they probably took it off in humiliation. but that's just hilarious!

aryne *