Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > The Star Wars Saga
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-21-2002, 09:14 PM   #1
Aeryn
Bank'ress of Sith

?

Do you people actually LIKE Star Wars?
Well I know that's a stupid question so I suppose that the real question is-- HOW can you like Star Wars?

This one is deactivated, I think.
Aeryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 09:21 PM   #2
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Um, give me a sec while I think about how to answer as concisely as possible. It's difficult to squeeze my answer to your question under a few pages, but I'll try...
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 09:23 PM   #3
Aeryn
Bank'ress of Sith

lol

You actually have THAT many answers?

Old 10-21-2002, 10:17 PM   #4
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Why I like Star Wars - a capsule summary that probably misses much.

The Star Wars saga, in all its instalments, represents a landmark of filmmaking in all aspects - technical, literary and stylistic. Yet above its simple historical importance in the artistic medium of cinema lies its virtually unparalleled entertainment value, the product of an involving, intricately crafted story that possesses layer upon layer of interpretability, applicability and sheer emotional resonance.

Why do I like it?

1. One heck of a story.

The ambition of the premise is awe-inspiring. We are presented with a battle between good and evil in their pure, dualistic forms, opposing ends of a thread upon which a destabilized universe hangs - the simplest, purest mythical premise of them all. But the presentation of this battle is explored in a complex web of interrelated parallel conflicts in the material world, at a level of intricacy that can only be attributed to storytelling genius. Between the extremes of good and evil, we are told of emotions, lives, peoples, and worlds that all hang in the balance.

We see a level of political intrigue that takes every lesson learned from Caesar's Rome to Hitler's Nazi Germany and applies it to the visible rise and fall of a militaristic dictatorship.

We see the last gasp of spiritualism clinging on as it gradually dissipates from an increasingly material world.

We see nature appear to suffer the same fate at the hands of the artificial and mechanical, yet it triumphs in the end and lives to fight another day.

We see those who wield power resist its temptations, or in some cases, succumb to it completely and mark their fall to darkness.

We see the fundamental love that exists in a familial bond conquer every obstacle, and reverse fates irreversible.

We see all of this happen in a story that ensnares the heart and captivates the soul.

What more do you want?

2. There's nothing like it.

What a lot of people don't seem to realize is that Star Wars is a far, far cry away from mainstream Hollywood filmmaking. It looks different, it sounds different - heck, I'd bet it even tastes different - and it feels like a stylistic achievement on its own terms that is far removed from anything one would expect coming from an idea filtered through a studio.

Star Wars is decidedly weird. It is an avant-garde meshing of Akira Kurosawa and Buck Rogers, and sets it in a mythology of a legendary scale that hearkens back to Homer and Tolkien. Nowhere else can you find a film wherein mobsters, cowboys, politicians, terrorists, samurai, drag racers, space adventurers and teddy bears not only coexist in a coherent fashion, but also advance a comprehensible epic journey.

In terms of the visual scale of the imagination executed in Star Wars, the film begs parallel. It was the first fantasy film not based on material in any other medium that conjured a completely original world - a galaxy far, far away, if you will - and manage to present it with the necessary splendour. This is a feat that, arguably, has yet to be duplicated by any work of cinema to date.

It's a pity that the sheer originality of Star Wars, combined with its success, has led to some rather unpleasant results - among them: blatant overcommercialization, the creation of a billion-dollar industry in trash franchise literature, and the spawning of copycat films that attempt to duplicate the saga's appeal by making a lot of things blow up but completely ignore the fact that the true appeal lies in the craft of its timeless story. But these can only be blamed on the fact that the original source was so bleeding good to begin with.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Old 10-21-2002, 10:17 PM   #5
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

3. It's timeless fun.

Star Wars will always be relevant. It was made for all time, and will be as enjoyable twenty-five years from now as it is today - the same observation that some must have made that same amount of time ago.

Star Wars is good for all occasions. You can watch it to cool down on a sunny day. You can watch it to cheer up on a rainy day. You can delight the kids with it at a birthday party, and enthrall them with a tale that will stay with them forever. You can delight yourself with it again and again, seeing it in a new perspective every time.

Star Wars improves with every viewing. Every iteration reveals yet another hidden layer of depth, yet another observation that had passed unnoticed before. The emotional shock of its tragic moments never wanes, nor does the emotional thrill of its lighter moments. Its images dwell in the mind long afterwards.

Behind the veil of box-office grosses and bloated merchandise flying off the shelves of Toys 'R' Us, a great and unmatched work of art lies hidden to many. The trick is to see the films for what they are, and like the Force, feel them flowing through you.

And that, mon ami, is a capsule summary of why I like Star Wars.

Old 10-21-2002, 10:20 PM   #6
Aeryn
Bank'ress of Sith

Hee hee AMAZING, I'm sorry I don't think the same as you...I can't STAND the movies.

Old 10-23-2002, 07:44 PM   #7
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

I applaud you Ironparrot ! An excellent basic overview.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 07:50 PM   #8
Aeryn
Bank'ress of Sith

Are those movies...like...well obviously its a guy thing...like The Godfather...right?

Old 10-23-2002, 10:11 PM   #9
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

Nah-the Godfather is a great movie, but in a very different sense. Like comparing apples and peas.
Old 10-23-2002, 10:19 PM   #10
Aeryn
Bank'ress of Sith

okay...er...I'll just stay in the dark about that comment markadel. I mean people get killed and stuff in each one...er...n/m i wasn't going to comment

Old 10-23-2002, 10:55 PM   #11
durin's bane
Lady of Westernesse

Why do I like Star Wars? Um...what Iron Parrot said.

Also, lightsaber duels are my thing. 'Nuff said.
Old 10-23-2002, 11:01 PM   #12
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

Like the Transporter
Old 10-24-2002, 01:24 PM   #13
azalea
Long lost mooter

No, it's not a guy thing. Iron Parrot spoke for me, too, when he described why he loves Star Wars.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 01:37 PM   #14
Beleg Strongbow
Truest of Friends

Location: Pennsylvania, but I have a vacation home in the Westfarthing.
Also, I don't think its a guy thing
(although it might predominantly be)
because it redefined the role of lead female character. Eowyn was pretty good but she wasn't quite up there with Leia.

Aure Entuleva!

John Kerry for President!
Beleg Strongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 04:51 PM   #15
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

Well said, IronParrot! And it's not a guy thing.

I'll never forget the first time I saw the original Ep IV. I was awe-struck and glued to my seat throughout the entire movie. And the first time we went into hyperspace.....OH MY!!!!
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 07:24 PM   #16
Ms. Undomial
Custous Sanctus

Quote:
Originally posted by Beleg Strongbow
Eowyn was pretty good but she wasn't quite up there with Leia.
what?? That is like saying Glaladrial wasn't up there with Arwen(in the books) or Luke wasn't up there with Han Solo!! Eowyn was way up past Leia!!! I mean Leia didn't do anything! Eowyn Killed the BIg Bad Witch King!!! Leia just sat there and looked pretty.

Quote:
I'll never forget the first time I saw the original Ep IV. I was awe-struck and glued to my seat throughout the entire movie. And the first time we went into hyperspace.....OH MY!!!!
Cee2lee2- I will agree with you that eposide's 4-6 were pretty good. but eposide's 1 and 2 are like wacko!!

~*Ms. Undomial*~
I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. - Dune

Last edited by Ms. Undomial : 10-31-2002 at 07:26 PM.
Ms. Undomial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 09:10 PM   #17
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Ms. Undomial
what?? That is like saying Glaladrial wasn't up there with Arwen(in the books) or Luke wasn't up there with Han Solo!! Eowyn was way up past Leia!!! I mean Leia didn't do anything! Eowyn Killed the BIg Bad Witch King!!! Leia just sat there and looked pretty.
(Clears his throat and looks over the edge of his glasses at Ms. Undomial) Ahem. I beg to differ. Eowyn was a fighter and I like her a lot. But her character wasn't nearly as fiery or exciting as Leia's. Leia was out there doing things. She was an extremely nice person, while at the same time feisty, and prepared to blast any enemy that came her way. She was a born fighter, no wonder she was one of the leaders of the Rebellion! And how could she help it, with parents like Anakin and Padmé?
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 09:16 PM   #18
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

Ms. Undomial - I'll admit that I've been disappointed in Eps 1 and 2. Haven't even bought them to add to my video library. On the other hand, I usually watch my videos of 4-6 several times a year.

Regarding Leia, I think she's right up there with Eowyn. I just loved the part in Ep 4 when she basically rolls her eyes at the boys and takes over her own rescue.
Old 11-01-2002, 09:39 PM   #19
Aeryn
Bank'ress of Sith

Well, I thought Leia was a freak.
And the Omadala character. (the name look at the name, need I say more?)

Eowyn beats the pants off them both!

Old 11-01-2002, 09:54 PM   #20
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

I think the name is Padme Amidala (not that it's any better spelled that way )