Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-05-2002, 12:24 PM   #1
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

The ring of Barahir

Ok. The ring of Barahir was made in Valinor, given by Finrod to Barahir, saved by Beren, used by Beren to remind Finrod of his oath, was an heirloom of the kings of Numenor and the lords of Adunie and of the north kingdom. It would seem to me that the Ring would be a greater heirloom than the Elendilmir (star of the north which was in place of a crown). Why is so little emhasis placed on it?

Last edited by Finrod Felagund : 09-20-2002 at 01:58 PM.
Finrod Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 05:59 PM   #2
Pailan
Elven Warrior

Good question. That this ring lasted for thousands of years, was never lost, and had such a legacy- is amazing. Imagine wearing a ring that was made around the time of the Silmarils, all the great and near great people who had in their possesion. But for all that, it remains just a ring. No special powers so I guess it just remains jewelry and a long lived heirloom.

"Who knows, Robin? This strange mixing of minds may be the greatest single sevice ever performed for humanity! Let's go, but, inconspicuosly, through the window. We'll use our Batropes. Our job is finished."

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.

Last edited by Pailan : 03-05-2002 at 06:01 PM.
Pailan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 06:02 PM   #3
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

Because it is obviously just an heirloom. It has power from its ancestry alone, and this is mentioned somewhere in appendice A by Arvedui. The Elendilmir had inherant power in it-its light shone even when isildur wore the ring, and I assume its knockoff (the one Aragorn wore) had some similar light.

Also neither are important in terms of kingship. The symbol of royalty in Arnor was the scepter. (Tolkien had a lower and upper Egypt thing going on with the relams in exile).

Aragron probably never wore the ring (it was stored in Rivendell), and if he did what's more noticeable-shiny fillet or little ring?
Old 03-05-2002, 09:07 PM   #4
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

The dunedain did pay a fortune to get it back from the lossoth.
Old 03-05-2002, 09:17 PM   #5
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

It's still a cool heirloom. Just not as important as say-the sceptre as Adunie.
Old 05-21-2002, 03:49 PM   #6
Snowdog
Dúnedain Ranger of the North

Gimli

The Ring of Barahir always had an intriguing quality to it, as did the Kingdom of Arnor for me. OI wrote a fanfic story about the giving of the ring to the Lossoth by King Arvedui before he boarded the Elven ship, and the return of said ring to the line of Isildur.

Now, about the sceptre, wasn't it one of the Numenorean Kings ??
Old 05-21-2002, 09:27 PM   #7
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

It amazes me how Tolkien can create such a magnificent character as Finrod, and then have his importance cut down to a simple character. He makes him the youngest of the great lords of the Noldor, but yet the wisest. He makes him fairest of all the princes of the Noldor, yet he seems out done by many of mortal men. Here is a King that ruled the largest Noldorin realm in Beleriand, yet Gondolin and even Doriath are more significant. We have a powerful Elf that is the first of all to meet Men, yet, he takes a back seat to Elves of lesser accomplishments. Now here we are with heirlooms. The Ring of Barahir, not so important, and only an heirloom, yet it possessed jewels of Valinor that you would think would be of central importance, especially in the Third Age. And what of the Nauglamir? Originally it was Thingols, but ended up as the story changed as a gift from the Dwarves to Finrod. I love Tolkien, but I can't figure out this under rated recognition for this character. He giveth, and he taketh away.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 09:35 PM   #8
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Actually as the Nauglamir story from J. R. R. goes, it had little connection with Finrod. The Dwarves made it for Thingol.
Old 05-21-2002, 09:40 PM   #9
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

It's my opinion that that's what tolkien intended.

Take feanor-he was incredibly gifted, yet he screwed up and everybody hates him.

Now look at finrod-he accomplished quite a bit, but he never did anything spectacular. And yet, and yet... He's the mot loved elf of all time. why is that?

I think that the central aspect of finrod's character is emotional. It's not that he's central, or that he accomplished great feats, but that the reader hurts for him. He's wonderful enough to make you cry.
Old 05-22-2002, 03:19 PM   #10
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ñólendil
Actually as the Nauglamir story from J. R. R. goes, it had little connection with Finrod. The Dwarves made it for Thingol.
So, what you're saying is that the account in the Silmarillion is a mistake on the part of C.T.?
Old 05-22-2002, 06:18 PM   #11
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Yes. We've talked about this before. Christopher Tolkien covers it in War of the Jewels. Almost everything in the Silmarillion about the Fall of Doriath is pretty screwy.
Old 05-22-2002, 10:07 PM   #12
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Yes. We've talked about this before. Christopher Tolkien covers it in War of the Jewels. Almost everything in the Silmarillion about the Fall of Doriath is pretty screwy.
Thanks Nolendil. I haven't got around to WotJs yet.
Old 05-25-2002, 12:39 AM   #13
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Oh you must get it. Especially since you already have Morgoth's Ring.
Old 05-25-2002, 11:01 PM   #14
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Oh you must get it. Especially since you already have Morgoth's Ring.
Oh I have it, along with the PoMe. I just haven't got to them yet.
Old 06-17-2002, 07:30 AM   #15
Eldanuumea
Elven Warrior

Strider

Finrod is like Sam, in a way......one of those characters who don't get the "press" other, flashier characters get but who really bears the burden of the tale. I must say, I just finished another Sil reading, and I love Sir Felagund more with each reading.

BTW, Everyone notice I now have an avatar! Many thanks to the friend who set me up!

Last edited by Eldanuumea : 06-17-2002 at 07:32 AM.
Eldanuumea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 09:04 AM   #16
barrelrider110
Peer of the realm of Sanguine

And a very entertaining avatar it is.

Fear Complacency!
Old 07-22-2002, 05:49 PM   #17
Kirinki54
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
It amazes me how Tolkien can create such a magnificent character as Finrod, and then have his importance cut down to a simple character. He makes him the youngest of the great lords of the Noldor, but yet the wisest. He makes him fairest of all the princes of the Noldor, yet he seems out done by many of mortal men. Here is a King that ruled the largest Noldorin realm in Beleriand, yet Gondolin and even Doriath are more significant. We have a powerful Elf that is the first of all to meet Men, yet, he takes a back seat to Elves of lesser accomplishments. Now here we are with heirlooms. The Ring of Barahir, not so important, and only an heirloom, yet it possessed jewels of Valinor that you would think would be of central importance, especially in the Third Age. And what of the Nauglamir? Originally it was Thingols, but ended up as the story changed as a gift from the Dwarves to Finrod. I love Tolkien, but I can't figure out this under rated recognition for this character. He giveth, and he taketh away.
I agree with you and I do not, Sister Golden Hair.

Did Tolkien really make Finrod such a second rate character? Look at the list you yourself compiled... Pretty impressive, huh? And there is more...

And still despite it all, he is rather played down in a way. And yet his role alone in robbing Morgoth of one Silmaril assured his eternal fame, no?

I wonder what it would have been like had JRRT, not CT, really come up with a finished version of The Sil?
'They need more gardens,' said Legolas. 'The houses are dead, and there is too little here that grows and is glad. If Aragorn comes into his own, the people of the Wood shall bring him birds that sing and trees that do not die.'
Kirinki54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 08:22 PM   #18
Eldanuumea
Elven Warrior

Strider

I tend to think Kirinki has something there....who knows how more developed a role Finrod, as well as possibly other characters, might have had if Tolkien himself had put the finishing touches on the Sil?
Old 08-28-2002, 03:04 AM   #19
Beruthiel
Hobbit

Hmmm.... I was always one to point out that Barahir's Ring was still around, and that Aragorn wore it as a token and badge of his lineage. I also feared greatly for him. It occured to me that if he bumped into some of the older servants of Sauron that he might have a problem if they recognised it. Sometimes I think that Aragorn DID have a few scuffles with some of these shady characters, but did away with them before they could deliver the news back to the big guy.
Beruthiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 08:26 PM   #20
The Lady of Ithilien
Elven Warrior

Aragorn gave it to Arwen when they became engaged. Fittingly romantic, after the way Beren had used it before Thingol when Luthien brought him into Menegroth.

I remember Beren used it later to gain safe passage on his way to Nargothrond, so he didn't give it to Luthien, at least not then. Did he ever? What happened to it from that time in Nargothrond until the Dunedain redeemed it from the snow-dwellers of Forochel?
The Lady of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote