Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-22-2002, 12:58 AM   #1
GandalfTheWhite
Elven Warrior

New Perspective?

Has seeing the movie given you a new perspectiv on FotR? If it has, how so? I know personally the thing i found most intersting was rivendell, i had quite a different picture in my head

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

"He who breaks a thing to find out what it is, has left the path of wisdom."
-Gandalf

"A thing is about to happen which has not happened since the Elder Days: the Ents are going to wake up and find that they are strong."
-Gandalf
GandalfTheWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 05:56 PM   #2
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

Oooh yes. The movie helped me to delve a little deeper into the characters. It opened to me some emotions that were in the book, but hidden. On real people's faces, they were a little bit more obvious and easy to read. Plus, the scenery helped me picture the book in my head more. Like GandalftheWhite, I found PJ's Rivendell to be quite different from my imagination's. And I can FINALLY picture mallorn trees without being confused! Yay!
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 06:29 PM   #3
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

I think the opposite is true.
Old 03-22-2002, 07:07 PM   #4
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nazgul

There are things about the movie I like - but generally I don't want to picture any of the characters in place of what I've already thought of them as. Especially, Gandalf, Elrond, Galadriel, Pippin and Merry.

Having my own view of LOTR is a 1000 times better than what Jackson imagined.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 10:02 PM   #5
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

The movie gave me some beautiful images and landscapes, but not really much more insight.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 07:47 PM   #6
sheeplova
Sapling

I going to have to agree with wayfarer here, the movie takes alot out of the story, just my opinion though...
sheeplova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 09:12 PM   #7
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Quote:
Originally posted by FrodoFriend
The movie gave me some beautiful images and landscapes, but not really much more insight.
Same here. The movie gave fantastic landscapes, but the book is what gave the rest. Remember: the movie is just a visual perspective - nothing more, nothing less.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2002, 02:25 PM   #8
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Aside from some of those already mentioned by FF, it gave me a chance to know people who secretly shared my love for the books.
I saw some old acquaintances in the movie house and have gotten to talk to them again.

BTW, FF and R-E, didn't it also give you a face that you liked with your favorite hobbit?

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2002, 05:50 PM   #9
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Quote:
Originally posted by Arathorn
BTW, FF and R-E, didn't it also give you a face that you liked with your favorite hobbit?
It gave me affordable posters of the face to go with my favorite hobbit. And I got one too! It's in my room! Weee!!

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2002, 08:37 PM   #10
aldesign
Elven Warrior

blooming Elijah lovers! pah

anyway, yeah, Rivendal was much more different to me too. It definatly wasnt as grand, mine was more simple and hutt like. I think i took my definition from the Hobbit, and ignored much of what was in the FOTRbook.

andy
aldesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2002, 10:33 PM   #11
Lanelf
Elven Warrior

Well, technically I saw the movie before reading the books *cringes as though expecting to be decked* but I had read the Hobbit! I still do SO not associate the Hobbit's Last Homely House with Rivendell! No way, no how!
________
A small cute frog struggles under the weight of the Hobbit and the LOTR series combined.
Lanelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2002, 10:48 PM   #12
jerseydevil

Nazgul

Well I keep the Hobbit and LOTR seperate. It's sort of weird - I have different views of what things looked like for both books. Tolkien definitely changed his style in LOTR and the two Rivendells, even the elves, are very different.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 03-25-2002, 12:23 AM   #13
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
Tolkien definitely changed his style in LOTR and the two Rivendells, even the elves, are very different.
Very. In "The Hobbit" elves are silly, funny, and sing their lungs out. In LOTR they're more somber and gracefully calm.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 02:52 AM   #14
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Don't forget he only made them in the same world in retrospect of the hobbit.

So in his mind they were only the same in coincidence.

I think when FotR was going to be published he edited a bit of the Hobbit to make it fit more (mainly to do with the finding of the ring) but that was all. It was that or a complete re-write which he wouldn't have wanted to do.

Not to mention the target audiences are slghtly different.
Old 03-25-2002, 03:10 AM   #15
jerseydevil

Nazgul

Yeah I know. But one thing that is cool is that if you look at in terms of the history of Middle Earth - "There and Back Again"was written by Bilbo - whereas LOTR was written by several people - so the style difference makes sense.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 03-25-2002, 11:44 AM   #16
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Well, for me, the film DID give me some new perspectives on LotR. First, it made me realize that no one but an EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO should be trusted to make this film [not a one of US would have had Arwen as SuperElfette]. Jackson did a fantastic job, and made one of the best films I've seen, if not the best, but there WERE failings. We have discussed those ad nauseum.

The visualization of Tolkien's world was superb. I know some folks didn't like a lot of the casting, I heartily disagree.

One new perspective it gave was how the world reacts to a story of enduring detail and depth and majesty, upholding principles of good over evil. Although the puerile Acadummy snubbed the film and gave awards to others based, not upon filmmaking, but out of simple vulgar popularity among the incestuous Acadummy, the public loved the film and its message. So, new perspective on popular opinion over the biased views of the "experts".

Also, indirectly, the film triggered me to join the Moot and begin discussing Tolkien's works in depth. It is this affect which has most altered my perspectives on the books. Interacting with Mooters and getting different perspectives have changed my perceptions in some ways and reinforced perceptions in other ways.

All in all, like was said in another thread, the film is a GOOD thing and, yes, my perspectives were changed, both directly and indirectly.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 06:35 PM   #17
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

Bropous, do you have EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO memorized?

I think that thing that will change the most for me, is that I will hear the actors voices when I am reading. I am not much of a picturer.
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote