Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-30-2001, 11:07 PM   #1
wgroeller
Sapling

Gandalf A Better Aragorn?

Now I am not saying that the actor who portrayed Aragorn did a bad job --- he was fine. I just thought that he was too young, way too young for the role. He was supposed to be in his eighties (!)

I would have cast LIAM NEESON (Qui Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace) as Aragorn, wouldn't he have been perfect?

Last edited by wgroeller : 12-30-2001 at 11:30 PM.
wgroeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2001, 11:16 PM   #2
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Is he the one who played Obi Wan? Yeah, he may have been a good choice. I like PJ's Aragorn though. I don't think he was too young for the role, Aragorn was a Dúnadan of full blood, 80 isn't very old for that sort. I seem to remember a passage that says Aragorn had a little grey in his hair (I'm not sure), but definitely looked younger than he was. Heck, Frodo was 50 in the book (= to about 35 for us), but Elijah Wood's still a good choice. He still looked 33 (18-21 for us), because of the Ring.
Old 12-30-2001, 11:52 PM   #3
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

From The Lord of the Rings Official Movie Guide
Quote:
For Viggo Mortensen, the invitation to play the crucial central human character of Aragorn came only after filming had begun. Stuart Townsend, the Irish actor who starred in the 1997 film Shooting Fish, had been cast in the role, but "creative differences" between actor and director had resulted in a last-minutte decision to recast."
Never seen Stuart Townsend in a movie. Would he have done any good? I sounds like him and PJ had a fight.
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 02:40 AM   #4
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

No, it was an "agreement" for him to leave, though he later regretted it.

Ironically, Townsend was booted because he was too young.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 12:18 PM   #5
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Nope, never heard of nor have seen Mr. Townsend.

However, to me, Viggo Mortensen IS Aragorn, son of Arathorn. Beautifully subdued acting, not overdone, not overly haughty, sorta distant and not fully sure of himself at the beginning, he "moves into the skin" of the developing Elessar by the end of the film, especially when he says, "Let's go hunt some Orc".

I thought he and Sean Bean complemented each other's character so beautifully. I saw quiet courage, steely resolve, and deep ethical makeup in his bearing. He was just as I had imagined Strider/Aragorn/Elessar. I can't wait to see more! Just makes me sad that Boromir is gone and Mr. Sean Bean is finished in the films. Of course, my grief is nowhere near that of Denethor's....

Just my humble, hobbitish opinion.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 08:17 PM   #6
Miriel Stormrider
Enting

Strider

I thought Aragorn was excellently done. When I saw pictures of Viggo before the movie, I thought there was no way he could "become" Aragorn for me, because he just didn't look the role, but he was flawless. (To be honest, what I mean by "role" is really just my personal, and now previous, conception of him.)

During the movie, I was surprised and offended at first by his insecurities about his place, his destiny, or how ever you say it. But upon reflection, I find that this makes him much more human, approchable, and believeable. It makes his less "distant." It has been I while since I read the books, but from what I remember he did not appear to have any weaknesses, which made him a bit difficult to really relate to. He was a very high, lofty person in the books, and he still has a bit of that in the movie, but he is also very clearly a man, and still exists on that level. ( Not to mention the fact that he's really cute.) Of course, he was an incredible character in the books, please don't get me wrong.

I liked the way the relationship between Boromir and Aragorn evolved. At the council, when Boromir was his proudest and Aragorn was the most insecure, they didn't hit it off at all. But at Boromir's death, when he is most humble, and when Aragorn is really beginning to accept who he is, well... Man, was that was a good scene.

Inoldonil, have you ever even seen "The Phantom Menace"? Liam Neeson was Qui-Gon Jinn; it was Ewan McGregor who was Obi-Wan Kenobi. Sheesh.

Last edited by Miriel Stormrider : 12-31-2001 at 08:22 PM.
Miriel Stormrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 08:33 PM   #7
Gorhiriel
Elven Warrior

Aragorn.

You could not have cast anyoneelse. Viggo Mortensen is perfect. I've seenhim twice before (in American Yazuka and GI Jane) and he was brill. Just perfect

BOROMIR LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"And anon shall I Sail into the West: with the setting sun I shall remove my light from this world..."
Gorhiriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 08:52 PM   #8
anduin
Entwife

Everyone here has probably seen Townsend. He is starring in The Queen of the Damned as Vampire Lestat. The preview for the movie was attached to LOTR.
anduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 09:03 PM   #9
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

I disagree. Aragorn is supposed to be perfect. He may have apprehension about what will happen, but not his role in the war. He is above ordinary mortals as he isn't one.
Old 03-11-2002, 09:22 PM   #10
Elvet
Elven Warrior

Its hard to picture anyone else as Aragorn. Viggo does a fine job of portraying his insecurity about his heritage. I'm sure we're all in for a treat in the next movies to watch him blossom into a warrior and a king.
But if I could pick someone else, how about Johnny Depp?
Old 03-12-2002, 09:01 AM   #11
Aragorns Dimple
Enting

I read somewhere that Stuart Townsend had actually told PJ that he wasn't right for the role, that he was too young, and that they should find a more mature actor to play Aragorn. Either that or his Agent had just called him and offered him the part in the Vampire flick which was filming only a few short miles away....

Viggo was superb as A, although Sean Bean's acting was positively inspirational as Boromir, and I think he would have made a terrific kick-arse King also, had he played that role.

I also think Danny Bonaducci would have made a fine Hobbit, even if it was typecasting =(^o^)=
Old 03-12-2002, 01:02 PM   #12
StrawberryIcecream
Elf Lord

I think he did a great job!

He really made the role come to life and I found myself thinking, that with all the brilliant actors, it seemed soooo real. I think all the choices were superb even Liv Tyler!

And Celeborn! God bless Peter Jackson and his casting directors! aaaaahhhh!

for all you pippin's out there.
StrawberryIcecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 01:08 PM   #13
Ararax
Elven Warrior

yea i think that sean bean was incredible he should have gotten an oscar for his role which was harder then anyother characters
Old 03-12-2002, 09:41 PM   #14
Liviaine
Elven Warrior

I agree. If anyone would have gotten nominated for an award, it would have been Ian McKellen (who did), Elijah Wood, Viggo Mortensen, and Sean Bean.
Liviaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 10:54 PM   #15
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

I think the casting was excellent. Viggo IS Aragorn. I also like Orlando Bloom as Legolas. I didn't think too much of him in the books, but now he is one of the cooler characters. He was so amazing with that bow. (anyway, I'm rambling) Ian McKellen is a killer Gandalf, and Christopher Lee has the great voice to be Saruman. When I first heard Elijah Wood was Frodo, my first reaction was WHAT?! Then, I saw the movie and he does a great job. I also didn't picture that Agent dude from The Matrix as Elrond, but I was pleasantly surprised. I don't think that they could come up with a better cast.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 10:44 PM   #16
TinuvielChild
Padawan

ok, i just can't believe that at first Viggo didn't want to play Aragorn!!! but yes, viggo is definitely the perfect person to play aragorn! yeah, that was random and a repeat of what everyone else has said so far, but who cares?

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
TinuvielChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 02:45 AM   #17
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nazgul

Viggo did a good job as Aragorn with what he was given. I just didn't like how Jackson screwed with his character and made him running away instead of biding his time for his destiny. I felt Jackson made Aragorn too weak.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 03:05 PM   #18
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvet
Its hard to picture anyone else as Aragorn. Viggo does a fine job of portraying his insecurity about his heritage.
Have you read the book?
Aragorn is never insecure about his heritage - this is a completely new addition by PJ.
Much as I love the film, it's accuracy in several places is questionable.
If you want more details, just read any of JerseyDevil's posts
Old 03-14-2002, 03:32 PM   #19
barrelrider110
Peer of the realm of Sanguine

In TTT Aragorn is unsure about his choices as leader of the Fellowship, and expresses his doubts. He was not insecure about his heritage. He had 20/20 hindsight, and was kicking himself for what he thought at the time were wrong choices. We see that he is humble. We don't see this all-too-human side in the first book FOTR. Remember, Tolkien wrote one book, Jackson is making three movies. Jackson needed to completely develop Aragorn's character in the first movie. No, I don't think Aragorn's character came off wimpy, just humble.
Quote:
I would have cast LIAM NEESON (Qui Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace) as Aragorn, wouldn't he have been perfect?
Leeam Neeson's physical characteristics are closer to my mind's eye picture of Aragorn, but Viggo Mortensen's Aragorn was superb. I don't know if anyone else would have done better.

Fear Complacency!

Last edited by barrelrider110 : 03-14-2002 at 03:35 PM.
barrelrider110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 03:49 PM   #20
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by barrelrider110
[B]No, I don't think Aragorn's character came off wimpy, just humble.
You mean aside from Elrond telling us explicitly he 'turned from that path, he has chosen exile' and Arwen going on about him not being Isildur, and Aragorn replying that the same blood flows in his veins, the same weakness?