Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2002, 03:32 PM   #1
Kwijibo
Elven Warrior

Location: Lothlorien (actually Wales, but let's not talk about that)
Arwen Undomiel Why PJ??? Why ... ?!?!?!

Okay, so you've probably all heard by now that PJ isn't putting the Scouring of the Shire in the RotK. I read a small interview in a mag where he said that 'it wasn't essential/neccessary for the story they were creating'.

(BTW that's not quoted, I've lost the mag, so I'm going by memory)

Also, they've moved Shelob's Lair to the beginning of RotK- which I think is a crime because I really looking forward to that bit!!

AND he said that there wasn't enough material in TTT to make a film, so a lot of it will be the history of how Gollum came across the Ring.

BTW, how have so many of you seen the trailer? I haven't seen it anywhere. I know there was an early internet one, but I couldn't find it. The most I've seen of TTT are the officially released pics from New Line and two pictures of Gollum at thelandofshadow.com

It's not fair!!!

'I left my body to science, but I'm afraid they've turned it down' - In memory of Graham Chapman

'Rubin sits like Buddah in a 10 foot cell,
An innocent man in a living hell,' - From 'Hurricane' by Bob Dylan, the only innocent Hurricane protest song, written stressing the innocence of Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter, a black, middle-weight boxer imprisoned for 19 for a triple murder which he did not commit.
Old 05-04-2002, 03:45 PM   #2
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

For the trailer on the internet, go to www.full-bloom.net/media

Although I will miss the scouring of the shire, I think it is actually best they cut it, as the story-arc for the movie is about the Ring being destroyed. Not to say I won't be sad it's gone, though!

I have no idea where TTT will end, but I thought the thing with Shelob was a perfect ending, and I'm mad they're moving it. Oh well.

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 05-04-2002, 05:37 PM   #3
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Look, some things that work in the books will not work in the Movie, take for example the Scouring, include that into a movie and it will be seen as an Anti-climax. Shelob's lair will be transferred into the Return of the King because in order to create a consistent time length for each film.
Old 05-04-2002, 08:03 PM   #4
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

More about Gollum, ick! That Deagol, Smeagol story has been told too many times for me. I'd rather see more tall warriors.
Old 05-04-2002, 09:46 PM   #5
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

The only thing I have a really big problem with is Saruman being impaled on a wheel. I would MUCH rather see Wormtongue prove that he really hated Saruman by killing him. Much more to think about. Unless, of course, Wormtongue PUSHES him onto the wheel.
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Old 05-05-2002, 01:39 AM   #6
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I too think that leaving out the scouring is a crime. Does anyone have a quote?, cause I havn't seen one from PJ, just rumours. I don't mind waiting for Shelob, just more to look forward to in ROTK. I really really hope Saruman won't be impaled, but I only heard that Ian McKellan said that on some show and perhaps he was only joking. Hopefully. Please be joking. Please. Maybe Pippin or Merry could push him. At least then a hobbit will slay Saruman.
PJ cannot please everyone, but I will be happy if the next two films are as good as FOTR.
You can get the trailer off Kazaa if FOTR is not playing in your area.
Old 05-05-2002, 09:11 AM   #7
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

I have read a PJ interview that the Scouring is definitely out (it might have been in the LotR Fan Club mag). It would make RotK a super long movie if they did put it in. He said that the scenes that Frodo saw in the Mirror were his tribute to the Scouring.
Old 05-05-2002, 11:05 AM   #8
Darth Tater
The man

There is nothing original in this thread. Shame on you CBG, have you forgotten your padlock of doom?
Closed Thread