Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-25-2000, 03:29 AM   #1
Mithadan

Frodo and the Cracks of Doom

I've been following Andustar's post "lol another one" (what is LOL anyway?) and one particular post caught my eye as possibly deserving more attention. Someone said something like "Frodo was the bearer of the Ring, not the destroyer", meaning that Frodo was not supposed to take it off his finger and pitch it into the lava himself. OK, if not Frodo then who, keeping in mind Gandalf's talk with Frodo early on where he says that to seize the ring from Frodo by force would break his mind.

Maybe Gandalf didn't plan that far ahead, but I doubt it. He must have at least thought about it. Who from the Fellowship would have the unenviable task of wresting the ring from Frodo, if they had got that far?
Old 07-25-2000, 04:49 AM   #2
Quickbeam

Re: Frodo and the Cracks of Doom

I would say that Frodo's mission was the DESTRUCTION of the ring, regardless of exactly how it happened. I don't think Gandalf or anyone else expected that Frodo could stand in the Sammath Naur and cast the Ring into the Fire. After all, Frodo had had a panic attack when Gandalf tossed the ring into the fireplace at Bag End so he could see the writing on it. Gandalf might have been able to destroy the Ring, and perhaps Elrond and Galadriel, but no one else. Maybe not even them, if it had come down to it. One of the Ring's powers was self-preservation. Gandalf's hope, I think, was that the Ring was fated to be destroyed, if it could somehow be transported to the one place where destruction was possible. He also thought Gollum might have a role to play before all was said and done. His instincts, on both matters, proved correct (as usual!).
Old 07-25-2000, 04:52 AM   #3
Quickbeam

Oh, I forgot: LOL = laughing out loud. 'lol' (preceded by a colon) is the code for the laughing smilie: :lol:
Old 07-25-2000, 02:58 PM   #4
Shanamir Duntak

In the original plan, the whole felloship was supposed to get to mont Doom. I suppose the wizard hoped that someone would be able to reason the poor hobbit when they finally get there...

And like Quickbeam told, he must have hoped the ring was fated to be destroyed!
Old 07-25-2000, 03:16 PM   #5
RKittle

Boromir never had any intentions of going to Mordor. He was headed for Minas Tirith. It is most likely that Aragorn was headed for MT, too. As for the rest of the Company of the Ring, it was clear thar Gandalf was headed for Lorien, but it was not apparent what his exact intentions were after that.
Old 07-25-2000, 03:51 PM   #6
Shanamir Duntak

Ok... sorry mea culpa.. ALMOST the entire fellowship
Old 07-26-2000, 02:35 AM   #7
Spock1

Indeed the numbers of the Fellowship was indended to give the most hope of success. Foretelling is not 100% accurate and so the destruction was possible but who would actually cause the destruction was unknown. Frodo was the Bearer but "golum may have a part to play" certainly fits with that.
Just think on alternate realities and causual effects.
....oops some ST talk but it applies.

Old 07-30-2000, 06:52 PM   #8
Rambunctious Ugnaught

It was apparent to me tht the fellowship never planned to even make it much farther than the Gaates of Mordor, but they had to try.
Old 08-01-2000, 08:15 PM   #9
Grand Admiral Reese

They could have tried to reason with him, to take it off and throw it in himself. If worse came to worse at that moment, they'd probably have to push bodily into Mount Doom, destroying the Ring, and unfortunatly Frodo as well.
Old 08-02-2000, 07:42 PM   #10
Digigirl

Gah, ditto to all of the above... ^_^
Old 08-02-2000, 08:09 PM   #11
Shanamir Duntak

Poor little Frodo... that woulda been sad...
Old 08-03-2000, 12:37 AM   #12
arynetrek

that's almost what happened - frodo took the rign the the very edge of the Crack, but refused to throw it in & instead claimed it as his own. if gollum hadn't bitten off the Ring (& finger) &, as some would say, Jar Jar-ed it into the Crack, frodo would have kept it, & then Sam would be in a horrible place: kill his Master (b/c by now taking the Ring just might, & it almost did) or let down Gandalf & Strider & all those nice Elves.

i agree - "poor little Frodo" - he just had a rather (middle)earth-shaking destiny. and yes, i do think the Ring was fated to be destroyed. otherwise it would've slipped away again - that thing seems to have a mind of its own when choosing its keepers.

aryne *
Old 08-03-2000, 12:49 AM   #13
Digigirl

>> He just had rather a (middle)earth shaking destiny <<

Nggaaa! Bad joke alert! Bad joke alert!

lol j/k, arynetrek! *^_^*
Old 08-03-2000, 01:12 AM   #14
arynetrek

sorry...

aryne *
Old 08-03-2000, 08:04 PM   #15
Shanamir Duntak

lol :lol:
I kind of like you digigirl, You're sympatic (is that how it's should be written? Anyway)
Old 08-03-2000, 10:51 PM   #16
Mithadan

I don't think Sam could have forced himself to push Frodo in, nor do I think he could have overcome Frodo to do so. Nor do I like to visualize Aragorn slicing up Frodo with Anduril to complete the quest, although I think he would regretfully have done so. Likewise for Gimli and probably Legolas. Maybe Gandalf would have tried to talk Frodo into destroying the ring, but it might have driven the poor hobbit insane.

Maybe the point of all this is that the quest was impossible for Frodo to accomplish. Gandalf called it a "Fool's errand" if I recall correctly. Those who say that Frodo failed ignore this point. Frodo went as far as his mental and physical strength could take him and succeeded in bringing the ring to a point where the quest could be completed. To finish the job required outside assistance, fortuitously in the form of Gollum. Fortuitously? Hmmmmm...... Gollum just happened to be in the right place (precisely where he least wanted to be) at the right time (in the middle of a war. Hmmmmm.... Outside assistance?

Coincidence? Sure. And dwarves (including their women, see HoME 12) don't have beards.
Old 08-03-2000, 10:51 PM   #17
Eruve

Shanamir, I think you mean she's nice.
Old 08-04-2000, 01:05 AM   #18
Darth Tater

"In my experiance there's no such thing as luck"

Gandalf said once that Gollum had a destiny to fulfill, or at least he illuded at it. The fates had already desided, possibly at the singing into being of the earth, the destiny of the Ring. Gollum had to be there to destroy it, that's just the way it had to go. I believe Gandalf had at least some clue to this.
Old 08-04-2000, 04:22 PM   #19
The Westward Road

Gandalf's foreknowledge....

Its very possible Gandalf had some idea due to his stay with Nienna (sp?) while in the West. She was the sister to Mandos and lived close to him. I also believe the Silm says something of Gandalf learning the future from Mandos but can't say for sure.

TWR
Old 08-04-2000, 06:08 PM   #20
Digigirl

Re: Gandalf's foreknowledge....

Thanx Shanamir! ^_^

Okay, well, I WOULD argue my point, but the LAST time I got into a debate about LOTR, I got kicked off the board.
*sigh*
So anyway...ummm... >_<