Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-03-2002, 05:44 PM   #1
rdolivaw
Sapling

Gandalf Gandalf's seeming reticence

I took my kids and my wife to LOTR:FOTR the other afternoon (second viewing for me and the kids, first for my wife). Said wife is basically familiar with the work, but has only read it once, several years ago, not being a big fan of fantasy. I and the boys have read most of Tolkein's works several times and all enjoyed the movie, as movie and for itself, greatly; as much, though certainly differently, as we've enjoyed the written Word through the years (my 13-year-old has even waded through Silmarillion twice and I've been through LOTR a couple dozen times since the '60s).

Anyway, my wife was wondering on the way home "how come Gandalf didn't use his power more to protect and defend the fellowship?" I pointed out his defense against the balrog and during the abortive attempt to cross Carhadras, but that seemed inadequate. I also mentioned that use of his powers would reveal their position and, while I think that's sufficient, she did not.

Any other thoughts on Gandalf's seeming reticence? I think the secrecy issue is sufficient (though it seemed that an awful lot of creatures knew exactly where they were).
Old 01-03-2002, 06:23 PM   #2
Boonton
Sapling

Why Gandalf doesn't fight

Reading the FAQ's from other sights, Galdalf is one of 5 wizards who were sent by Tolkein's conception of God to fight Sauron. However, they are only allowed to use limited powers and cannot dominate or use force upon others. So most of Galdalf's work is done in encouraging and rallying others or in sweaty fighting with swords rather than casting spells to solve problems.
Boonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 06:24 PM   #3
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

That wasn't in the job description.

The Istari were explicitly told that they were NOT to attempt to oppose Sauron strength for strength. They were merely yo aid the free people in defending themselves. This is what gandalf did.

Notice that, with the balrog, who was a foe beyond anybody else, he instantly went up against it. But he couldn't do that with sauron, yet.
Old 01-04-2002, 11:26 AM   #4
rdolivaw
Sapling

Thanks, both of you. That's just right, I now remember (gotta dust off the books and dig back in, I guess). You're right. Even Sauroman was restrained, at least in the books, which is why he had to work with all those nassssty orcsses, and why he was so desperatly looking for the ring himself. BTW, that was a surprising change, to have Sauroman in league with the Big S from the beginning, instead of trying to work his own deal. Guess they felt it was too complex to deal with in the detail it needed.

Thanks.
Old 01-05-2002, 02:00 AM   #5
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Recall from the book, rdolivaw, when the Fellowship are trying ot start a fire on Caradhras, to keep from freezing, and Gandalf uses his powers to light the soggy "faggots"? After he does so, he says:

"...I have written Gandalf is here in signs that all can read from Rivendell to the mouths of Anduin."

Had Gandalf used his powers moreso, Sauron, with his far-reaching gaze, would have "locked in" on the Fellowship, and to see an Istari travelling southwards with halflings in tow, he would have immediately known the intentions of the Free Peoples and sent his Nazgul to collect the One Ring forthwith.

Also, let's recall that, prior to his "resurrection" after the fight with the Balrog which brought down the top of Caradhras, Gandalf was the "Grey". His powers were rather limited at that point, the greatest powers of the Istari being entrusted to Saruman/Curunir. Although he may have been second greatest in power, he was almost bested by the Balrog, a remnant of Morgoth's terrors of the First Age.

Also, let us recall who Sauron himself was. He was a Maiar, of tremendous malice and strength; although the Istari were great spirits as well, they had nowhere near as much power as did the Lieutenant of the Great Enemy Morgoth himself. Each of the Istari could not face Sauron himself in direct battle and succeed, let alone all five at once. Their strength, as stated in a prior post, was in encouraging and rallying others' efforts, and not to square off with Sauron directly. Gandalf struggled with Sauron in the Enemy's guise of the Necromancer of Dol Guldur, but let us also recall Sauron was not nearly up to the strength level then as he was when the Fellowship of the Ring begins.

Excellent question, rdolivaw!
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 06:06 PM   #6
rdolivaw
Sapling

Thanks, bropous. Great answer and well documented. A printout will be submitted to my wife for perusal forthwith.

Richard.
Old 01-05-2002, 07:28 PM   #7
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

A Quote from The Complete Guide to Middle Earth
Quote:
They (the Istari) were forbidden to dominate the peoples of Middle-Earth or to match Sauron's power with power. When Saruman, the greatest of the Wizards, disobeted this injunction, he was cast from the order and banished from Valinor
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 10:42 PM   #8
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Glad to help, Richard. :- )
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
Old 01-06-2002, 01:23 PM   #9
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Sometimes you just have to have faith.
Old 01-06-2002, 01:27 PM   #10
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

emplynx, I am curious: Who wrote "The Complete Guide to Middle-Earth", and is there a cite listed after the quote, "They (the Istari) were forbidden to dominate the peoples of Middle-Earth or to match Sauron's power with power..."? I'd be interested as to where in Tolkien's writings this information comes.

Thanks in advance! ;- )
Old 01-06-2002, 01:32 PM   #11
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

A little more info on the Balrog:

The Balrogs, also known as the Valaraukar, were spirits known as "Maiar". Both Olorin/Gandalf, and Gorthaur/Sauron, were also Maiar. Now, Maiar were allowed different levels of their full power in Middle-Earth, but Sauron and the Valaraukar, not being obedient of the Valar, the "gods" of Middle-Earth, id not hold to this stricture and retained the majority of their Maiarian power in Middle-Earth.

Olorin/Gandalf could not face Gorthaur/Sauron power-for-power, even though he was "wisest of the Maiar", nor could he unleash on the Valaraukar/Balrog the full might of his power. So, the Balrog is able to hold him off for the majority of the battle, but Olorin begins to pull more of his power as he is "transitioning" into The White, and the Balrog turns tail and runs.

I may have this wrong, though. What do you other mooters think on this issue?
Old 01-07-2002, 07:30 PM   #12
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Well, these are all good theories, but there's something big people keep missing.

Notice how every time Gandalf is inabled to do anything, he is without his staff. Examples: he's stuck on top of Isengard and can't do anything and doesn't have his staff. He tried holding back the Balrog, but when he slips, he drops his staff down the pit, once again, he is inable to do anything.

Anyone see a pattern catching on? It seems that Gandalf's staff is the sorce of his power. In fact, every time a wizard uses his powers he ALWAYS is holding his staff. Anyone agree with me here?
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 10:04 AM   #13
Lightice
Elven Warrior

I don't agree. Firstly, he didnt't drop his staff at the Bridge of Khazad Dum. He struct it to stone, shattering it, but destroying half of the bridge in the process. I doubt, that he had done that, if the staff was source of his powers. And he did beat up the balrog without his staff, and I don't think, that he could had done that with only his physical strength.
I take this as you haven't read the books? There was no wizard duel in books. It was Jackson's idea. Not Tolkien's.
Any way, I think, that Gandalf couldn't escape becouse of fall of hundreds of foots and hordes of orcs at ground. I don't think, that he could had escaped, with most of his bones broken, with no time to heal himself (if he could do that, that is pretty likely, though).
Lightice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 01:49 PM   #14
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Yes, I read the books. And I also never mentioned there being a wizard duel. I mentioned Gandalf was stuck at the top of the tower of Isengard. That did happen in the books, remember the part where he was rescued by Gwaihir, the great eagle? I think you should pay more attention to my words next time.

And also, in the book, he fell and was still holding his staff, in the movie, he was clinging to the bridge with BOTH hands and was NOT holding the staff. Any ways, anytime he is capable of most magic, he HAS his staff. The same with Saruman. What I'm basically trying to say is, the greatest of their powers is conjured up within THEM from their staffs, but they are STILL capable of some magic without it. See what I'm saying?

Last edited by Rána Eressëa : 01-08-2002 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-08-2002, 02:55 PM   #15
Lightice
Elven Warrior

I see it, but I still don't agree. I know very well, that there was no wizard duel in books.
I also can't understand, how would maia spirit be weakened if wooden stick is taken away from him. And I remember very well, that Gandalf's staff was broken in Bridge of Khazad Dum while he dropped balrog off it (destroying the bridge). And you still didn't explain, how could Gandalf defeat balrog with bare arms, or even Glamdring, if he could not use magic without his staff.
Lightice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 03:34 PM   #16
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Okay, I see your point there. It's been about three months since I last read the books. I'll go over them again.

But, once again, I NEVER mentioned there being a wizard duel in the books! Please stop saying that!

Last edited by Rána Eressëa : 01-08-2002 at 03:40 PM.
Old 01-08-2002, 04:25 PM   #17
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

One point: Gandalf did not hit "bottom" of the chasm at Khazad-Dum and break all his bones. The Balrog fled, and Gandalf followed it, through long-forgotten passages, all the way to the summit of Caradhras. Kinda hard to do if your bones have been pulverized, physical incarnation of Maiar or no.
Old 01-08-2002, 06:50 PM   #18
ChildofEru
Hobbit

RE has a point in that Gandalf in talking away all of Saruman's power, (all but his power of persuasion), he also broke Saruman's staff. while I dont thing the staff is a source for power. I do think it is a symbol of it.
Old 01-08-2002, 08:17 PM   #19
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Heh... speaking of gandalf's staff.

Notice that, prior to moria (in the movie) , it's just a plain wooden staff. I seem to recall seeing gandalf pick up a small white stone off the ground and place it in on the end, and then cause it to glow.

So, it seems that he can use veryday objects (like a stone, or, in the books, a pipe or a pinecone,) as conduits of power, but he doesn't depend on them, like sauron with the ring.
Old 01-08-2002, 10:17 PM   #20
ChildofEru
Hobbit

so your saying Gandalf must have something to use their power though?
so if he was in space (note this is only a theory and has no pratical use) he would have no power?