Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-19-2001, 04:38 PM   #1
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

Arwen Undomiel Is it just me?

OK, I just finished reading the Fellowship for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Is it just me or was there not any of that stuff about Arwen having to choose between true love or an immortal life, like there is in the trailers? I mean, I know her and Aragorn were in love and all, but I don't remember reading anything about her having to choose. Did I skip something, or did they really write that in for the movie?

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2001, 05:14 PM   #2
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Arwen

I believe the references to Arwen's choice don't show up till late in Return of the King... there is also a separate Aragorn and Arwen story in the appendix of ROTK that was referenced for a lot of the movie material.
brownjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2001, 05:15 PM   #3
olorin7
Hobbit

Arwen had to choose to either go with elrond to the west, or to stay with aragorn. if she went to the west she would take the fate of the elves, immortality. if she stayed with aragorn she would choose the fate of men, mortality. this is the story line for the book it was not written just for the movie
olorin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2001, 08:33 PM   #4
anduin
Entwife

Take a couple of minutes and read Here follows a part of the tale of Aragorn and Arwen, it is in Appendix A (v.). This is one of my favorite parts of the book. Not because of the romance that is described but because of the insightful information on Aragorn. Take a look at it, you won't be disappointed.
anduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2001, 04:10 AM   #5
Bacchus
Elven Warrior

In answer to your question, no you didn't miss or skip anything. The story is located in the Appendices (as has been pointed out several times--sorry to repeat). Be careful trying to match up the movies with the books. Although the first movie has done (IMHO) an admirable job of capturing the spirit of the (first third of the ) novel, it cannot possibly be expected to capturre all of the nuances. Also, several details are altered somewhat. This is not a negative thing, as different approaches are more effective on different media, but you will find that the chronology is somewhat altered.

Always after a defeat and a respite, the Shadow takes another shape and grows again.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2001, 01:02 PM   #6
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

Arwen Undomiel Thanx a bunch!

Thanks guys! That was a big help. BTW, if neone hasn't seen the movie yet, you need to! It is really good & stays very true to the book. Also helps explain a lot...I now know that Aragorn is the king in TRotK!

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2001, 04:02 PM   #7
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Those of the line of Elrond Half-Elven are allowed by the Valar to choose either immortality or the "gift" of the "Doom of Mandos" [death]. Did not Elrond's brother, Elros, choose the Halls of Mandos over the Undying Lands?

Some of this is also covered in "The Silmarillion," as well as in the Appendices. Good points, guys!
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote