Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-26-2002, 08:56 PM   #1
Menelvagor
Elf Lord

Invisibility

I've been trying to ponder this out.

Did the ring make Sauron invisible like all the other ring bearers? Probably not, seeing as he could control it, though he could probably have used the ring to make himself invisible if he wanted too. Also, it would be very unlikely that he was invisible during the fight with Isildur, because that would put the cutting off of the ring as pure chance, which seems unlikely. So, Sauron was not involuntarily invisible (that sounds odd) when he wore the ring, why were the other ringbearers? Either they didn't have enough power innately to begin with to force the ring to not make them invisible (which implys that, for some unknown reason, the ring automaticly made its bearer invisible unless commanded otherwise) or that the ring chose to make the bearer invisible. Or it is a combinartion of the two, the ring chose to make you invisible unless you had enough power of your own to command it otherwise. If this is so then my question is, why?

The other aspect of it is, that turning invisible was just a side effect of entering the wraith world. You left the world of visible light and entered the shadowy evil one. This would of course aid the servents of the dark lord searching for the ring. It is less evident, though, early after the ring was lost, presumably because Sauron was searching less eagerly for it.

So then, the result we get is that, the ring, seeking to return to Sauron, brought whomever wore it into the wraith world so that Sauron's servents, looking for it, could find it more easily, but that, one wearing the ring was not necessarily in the wraith world, and that, if they mastered the ring, they could enter and leave it freely.

Did that make sense to anyone? (it was kind of stream of contiousness, I know...) Any other thoughts on this peculiar aspect of the Ring?
Menelvagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2002, 09:09 PM   #2
Christiana
Elf Lord

Location: Searching desperately for a swan boat to take to Valinor
Er.. Saraun wuz already bordering on the wraith world?
Christiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2002, 09:23 PM   #3
Faramir
Elven Warrior

Strider

Um, you took anything anyone else could say in the first post! But I agree with everything you said. You made more logic than I could.
==========================
YODA IS DA MAN!!!
==========================
I Love Jesus!
Faramir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2002, 09:27 PM   #4
Mirahzi
Elf Lord

Perhaps the ring had different effects on people of different character.. Maybe evil or corrupted creatures, such as Sauron and Gollum were not made invisible, but good-hearted fellows, such as the three ring-bearers were. But, to prove that theory we would need to know whether or not Gollum's visibility was affected by the ring.
Old 05-26-2002, 09:30 PM   #5
Christiana
Elf Lord

It was.
Old 05-26-2002, 09:34 PM   #6
Mirahzi
Elf Lord

Wow, that was blunt
Old 05-26-2002, 09:40 PM   #7
Christiana
Elf Lord

duh
Old 05-26-2002, 10:00 PM   #8
Mirahzi
Elf Lord

Wait... by saying
Quote:
It was.
You're talking about Gollum being able to become invisible.. right? Just trying to reaffirm that, since I've never read about that and a 'duh' really isn't all that convincing.
Old 05-26-2002, 10:00 PM   #9
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Strange that it had no effect upon Tom Bombadil, though.
Old 05-26-2002, 10:03 PM   #10
Mirahzi
Elf Lord

Well, I don't think we can really include Bombadil in any theory, since he's a bit of a question mark...
Old 05-26-2002, 10:12 PM   #11
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

I think that Sauron was the only one who could put on the Ring and not become invisible. (Except Bombadil, and the Ring didn't have any effect on him at all) Sauron was the only one who had the power to make the Ring do his bidding. I agree with the thoughts about the Ring sending you into the wraith world so that the servants of Sauron could find you more easily. Oh, and yes, Gollum's visibility was affected. That's how he caught small orcs in the Hobbit: by becoming invisible and sneaking up on them.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2002, 10:30 PM   #12
Mirahzi
Elf Lord

Thanks for clearing that up Khamul.. I suppose that makes my explanation worthless.
Old 05-26-2002, 10:44 PM   #13
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Not at all. That was your explanation and you're entitled to it. It was an interesting thought, though. I had to think about it a little bit before I recalled that line from the Hobbit about Gollum killing small orcs while he was invisible.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 01:44 AM   #14
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean

Tom doesnt turn invisible because he is Tulkas! NO NO IM JUST KIDDING!
i think sauron could stay visible because he: 1. had to power to do so, 2. forged it.
i think the whole sauron servant finding ring thing is a probability.
and mebbe maiar's just wouldnt be effected by the ring?

yes yes...TOM MUST BE A MAIAR?!
Old 05-27-2002, 02:17 AM   #15
Mirahzi
Elf Lord

Well, IIRC Gandalf is/was a Maiar and he thought he would be affected by the ring.. so Tom would reasonably have to be a much greater Maia or a being of higher status than a Maiar.
Old 05-27-2002, 11:19 AM   #16
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Maybe the different effect the ring had on Sauron can be explained by the fact that he was the one and sole Lord of the Ring *omnious music* Or maybe by the fact that he was body-less (or how do you say that?)
Old 05-27-2002, 11:31 AM   #17
Menelvagor
Elf Lord

Maybe you could use this theory to prove Tom was a Maia or Vala (of at least equal power to Sauron)?

Hm, but with Tom it wasn't so much that he had power over the ring, it was that the ring had no power over him...
Menelvagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 11:48 AM   #18
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean

gandalf only talked about how th ring would affect him in his status of good/bad dude..get what im sayin?
i was just merely making a guess..but more i think about, more tom must be a maiar
and sauron did have a body
it was described as black and burning.
or..wait for it... tom must be a cleverly disquised Sauron !
no no..thats impossible
Old 05-27-2002, 01:21 PM   #19
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Tar-Elendil
and sauron did have a body
it was described as black and burning.
Hadn't forgotten that, but he lost his first one didn't he?
Old 05-27-2002, 03:02 PM   #20
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean

it was destroyed in the downfall of numenor and he wasnt "ever to take fair form again"
which leads me to ask a question...how ya think he got the ring from to numenor to middle-earth his spirit couldnt have brought it..