Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-03-2002, 11:41 PM   #1
Varda-Me
Hobbit

The Tolkien Companion

A long, long time ago, back in college, when I was going through my second Tolkien craze (the first was in high school), my mother bought me a used copy of The Tolkien Companion by J.E.A. Tyler. It really helped me get a lot more out of the book. I would like to know if there a similar book for The Silmarillion? I never did read The Silmarillion before now, and would appreciate something like the Companion to help me through it. Thanks!
Varda-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 10:57 AM   #2
Uinen
Sapling

Hi there Varda Me,

I haven't heard of any companion to the silmarillion... however, there is as always a pretty detailed appendix at the back. Make reference to the family trees often - it helps to figure out who is who and how they are related.

The silmarillion is several short stories so I would suggest taking each on its own since it is easier to get through. It is a beautiful read though and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Enjoy!
Old 02-04-2002, 04:58 PM   #3
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

The Complete Guide to Middle-earth is the best. I have one.
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 12:02 AM   #4
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

"The Tolkien Companion" guided me through my first time reading the series. It was great...but no, I don't know anything about a Silm. one!
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 01:23 AM   #5
Marcus
Hobbit

the thing that helped me through lotr and silmarillion
is the
The atlas of middle earth
very detailed pictures according to the book and tolkiens drawings

helps you to see where you are
definetly worth while
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 03:29 PM   #6
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

I found the Tolkien Companion to be good, but at times inaccurate. The Complete Guide to Middle-earth (from the Hobbit through the Silmarillion), I would say is the best reference source available. It is a little out dated, but very accurate most of the time. It is by Robert Foster. I wish he would do another guide that included things from the HoMe.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 04:01 PM   #7
galadriel
Elven Warrior

The ancient (1976) version of the Tolkien Companion that I own is inaccurate in some places, since it was written pre-Silmarillion and some of the assumptions that the author made based on the appendices turned out to be incorrect. But, although I could be wrong, I heard that there was a newer edition of the book that corrected the inaccuracies.

dreamflower
- for all things Lady Galadriel
galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 06:53 PM   #8
orald
Enting

I also have "The complete guide to Middle-Earth",it has some references to the Silmarillion,since they are all intertwined,but there are minor inaccuracies.It says Glamdring shown a blue light in the presence of Orcs,but Tolkien describes it as white,and a few others(I know this is small).And if you totally believe Robert Foster,then the question of Glorfindel being the same elf,will be solved,since by his definition of Elves they could not be the same,and are listed seperate.But it will help you in some areas of the Sil.and is great to look up certain bloodlines.
orald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 12:08 AM   #9
Varda-Me
Hobbit

Thank you all. I purchased Foster's Complete Guide, and it is helping, although it's still pretty tough going. But, I'm enjoying it. I also noticed an inaccuracy in Foster's guide (unless I'm missing something, which, of course, is possible, given the intricacies of the names and bloodlines). In the Line of Isildur genealogy table in the appendix, it names Arathorn II as marrying Gilraen and their offspring is named also as Arathorn II (Elessar), who married Arwen. Hmm. Wouldn't that be Aragorn II?
Varda-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2002, 08:05 PM   #10
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean

yes, it would be aragorn II..