Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-14-2003, 11:22 PM   #1
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
Eorl and the men of Rohan...

First off I am confused as to who Eorl was. Was he the first king of Rohan or was he the finder of Rohan? Another thing that perplexes me is: When Theoden shouts "Forth Eorlingas" is he talking about all the men of Rohan (therefore puttng Eorl as the founder of the Rohanian people) or is he just talking about his advisors and the Lords of Rohan putting Eorl in the possition of King...but then weren't the Rohirrim known as the Horse Lords? Or was that just another name for the Rohanian people?
In other words was Eorlingas just another name for the people of Rohan or was it a specific group of Theodens supporters? There that's more simple. Sorry if I confused anyone
Cheers,
Sam
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 11:53 PM   #2
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

Eorl was the first king of Rohan-it was ceded by Gondor to him. The Eorlingas are the Rohirrim.
Old 01-15-2003, 12:15 AM   #3
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Re: Eorl and the men of Rohan...

Quote:
Originally posted by samwise of the shire
When Theoden shouts "Forth Eorlingas" is he talking about all the men of Rohan
To be technical, he says "Forð Eorlingas!" hehe, but it does mean "Forth Eorlingas!"

Here is a definition for you, but it is basically what markedel said:

"Eorl
The founding King of Rohan

The son of Léod of the Éothéod, and founder of Rohan. When Gondor was assailed beyond hope, they sent north to Eorl for aid, and he came south in force to rout the enemies of the South-kingdom. As reward, Steward Cirion granted him and his people the land of Calenardhon to dwell in.

Eorlingas
The followers of Eorl and his house

A name taken by the Rohirrim in their own tongue, signifying the followers and kin of Eorl the Young."

So as markedel said it is the Rohirrim, but it is just spoken that way in their language....
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen

Last edited by Dúnedain : 01-15-2003 at 12:18 AM.
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote