Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-31-2001, 01:36 AM   #1
Quickbeam
Hobbit

Gollum what are banes!?!?!

I am new here, but I am a big LOTR fan and have been on a lot of other forums before so don't think of me as a newbie. Anyway, to my question. By the way, I have read fellowship, and am over halfway done with the two towers, but thats all, so don't give away anything. Well remember back when Gandalf fought Durins Bane. Well Durin was the king of Moria that died, correct? well where does a bane come from? Is it a disturbed spirit of some sort. Also there is Isildurs BAne, and I sildur was the person who cut the finger off Sauron, correct again? Well both Durin and Isildur seem like they are not remotely evil. Then why are the Banes against the fellowship (if not everyone). So basically my question is, where do Banes come from, and why are they so pissed. Oh yeah, and what is a balrog? is it just another word for Bane? Thanks.

Quickbeam

Last edited by Quickbeam : 10-31-2001 at 01:39 AM.
Quickbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2001, 01:53 AM   #2
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Welcome Quickbeam! You know, there is another poster here named Bregalad ('Quickbeam' in Grey-elven). I'll be sure to call you by your exact names from now on!

'Bane' is in fact just an English word, doubtless you do not recognise it because it is now seldom used. The Online Merriam-Webster gives this definition:

Quote:
Main Entry: 1bane
Pronunciation: 'bAn
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English bana; akin to Old High German bano death
Date: before 12th century
1 a obsolete : KILLER, SLAYER b : POISON c : DEATH, DESTRUCTION <stop the way of those that seek my bane -- Philip Sidney> d : WOE
2 : a source of harm or ruin : CURSE <national frontiers have been more of a bane than a boon for mankind -- D. C. Thomson>
You're ofcourse right about who Dúrin and Isildur are. The Balrog of Mória was Dúrin's Bane because he had slain Dúrin, as the Ring was Isildur's because it brought about his ruin. As for the question 'what is the Balrog?', you might say the same for Gandalf! I know the answer, and many others here do as well, but I don't know if you want to know. You won't find out later in the story, though if you pick up some hints about Gandalf you may deduce things about the Balrog. We shall tell you if you like. 'Balrog' is Grey-elven for 'Demon of Might', you may be interested to know.
Old 10-31-2001, 01:58 AM   #3
Quickbeam
Hobbit

Gollum thanks

thanks, that cleared up a lot. But I have a question about what you said now. So when they talk about Isildurs Bane, they're talking about the one ring?
Old 10-31-2001, 02:03 AM   #4
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Yes.
Old 10-31-2001, 02:58 AM   #5
Quickbeam
Hobbit

thanks again

Well thanks again, that clears up everything for now
Old 10-31-2001, 04:44 AM   #6
Kirinki54
Elven Warrior

And beware of Henbane, be it Halloween or not!
Kirinki54 is offline   Reply With Quote