Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-22-2010, 05:18 PM   #1
jammi567
I'm Eru, and lord of Arda.

Galadrial's Mirror

Having just watched the totally kick-ass first movie on TV, it got me thinking about something. How does the Mirror work? I don't remember it ever being explained in any of the books, not even in the notes.
Vote for me, Jammi567, in the 2008 Entmoot elections, and you will get many of the things we need: free, unbiased, newspapers; a strong alliance with many countries, so that war doesn't start over someone breaking their nose on a doorframe; etc, etc

This forum is lonely. It's new and confused, and doesn't have many friends yet. Help today by joining for free, posting, and posting this message and link in your sig. So please, join and help make it feel welcomed and loved.
jammi567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 07:48 PM   #2
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Elven "magic" - which we humans just don't understand, and which the Elves would not consider "magic" at all - just them doing what they can naturally do. Whether "Elven magic" from Galadriel's own ability, or due in part to her Elven Ring.

Nope - not explained. The Hobbits didn't understand it, so how could they pass the explanation along to us?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 03:39 PM   #3
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

I would suspect it is something similar to but perhaps more limited than the Palantiri that Feanor wrought. Recall that even in back in Aman Galadriel was a rival in power to Feanor, and she has had a few thousand additional years to perfect her crafts.
"Mighty are the Ainur, and mightiest among them is Melkor, but that he may know, and all the Ainur, that I am Iluvatar, those things that ye have sung, I will show them forth, ... And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me,"

Last edited by Lefty Scaevola : 05-25-2010 at 03:41 PM.
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 06:40 PM   #4
Alcuin
Salt Miner

Galadriel was practicing what we would call hydromancy. Nostradamus also claimed to have practice hydromancy; whether Tolkien was aware of that factoid or not, I do not know. But it has a long (if questionable) reputation in the real world, and he was clearly aware of its history.

But Valandil is right: the Elves in general, and the Eldar in particular, did not understand the failure of mere mortals to comprehend what they did, nor mortals’ failure to distinguish their arts from those of Sauron and his followers.
Alcuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:56 PM   #5
the insane one
Sapling

Valadil is right, its not for us to understand, us mere mortals should just gasp in awe. Although I suspect its like one of those really bad so called phycic tricks, where they are just told what they should think and the hobbits already had those images in their minds. the mirror just shows what you want it to show

"White!" he sneered "It serves as the begining. White cloth may be dyed. The white page may be overwritten; and the white light may be broken."

"in which case is is no longer white" siad I. "And he that breaks something to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom."
the insane one is offline   Reply With Quote