Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-12-2010, 12:47 PM   #1
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Wikileaks

What's your opinion?

For the Afghan leaks, it appeared there were a lot of informants exposed to harm.

The Iraq leaks, they did better on that.

The third set- at first I was against it, on the grounds that government foreign officers need to be able to express their opinions freely, in order to supply the home government with info they need.

However, given the ferocity and dubious legality of the attempts of (specifically, but not only) US governments to block this, my civil liberty hackles are rising...

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill

Last edited by GrayMouser : 12-12-2010 at 12:49 PM.
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 02:34 PM   #2
inked
Elf Lord

To keep things REALLY secure, perhaps they should place the said materials with Barack Obaba's birth certificate and college papers? Takes a Supreme Court ruling to get those, it does.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 03:49 PM   #3
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I'm a bit in two minds about the benefits or negatives of Wikileaks. On one hand I think that whistleblowers ought to be able bring out certain scandales that governments tried to keep under wraps. Exposing abuses of power, conficts of interests, overstepping of authority, etc... of officials or politicians is of public interest.

On the other hand I'm not sure if everything Wikileaks posts is something the public ought to know. For instance, one of the Belgian files that went up on Wikileaks was of one of ours worst paedophile and murder cases. But the investigation was still open, so the premature publication of the papers may have negative consequences on the investigation itself or even lead to a retrial.

The published file also contained police interviews with people where the police had received an anynomous call that they were involved in child abuse. The thing that people will remember is that so and so were questioned about child abuse in relation to a very heavy case, the thing people will forget is that particularly with this case, a lot of people abused the anonymity to make false accusations and that a fair deal of the people suspected and questioned were innocent and falsely accused.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:22 AM   #4
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Very good point, Earniel. I tend to agree that blanket disclosure of everything is not a good idea.

One can talk about harm to sources, and harm to innocent parties from unverified slanderous leaks, but one can also talk about potential harm to future sources. Who is going to give true insights in confidence when they might be posted on the internet?
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:59 AM   #5
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

The release that worries me the most is the one about King Abdullah pressuring the US to attack Iran. There's no way it's not going to have very negative repercussions, and I worry that it might even start a path that will lead towards war.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:24 AM   #6
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem View Post
The release that worries me the most is the one about King Abdullah pressuring the US to attack Iran. There's no way it's not going to have very negative repercussions, and I worry that it might even start a path that will lead towards war.
I'm hopeful for the opposite (though in general - I don't think all these leaks are a good idea). I wonder if Iran (I almost typoed and reversed the first two letters... which would spell 'Rian' - watch what you say, folks!! ) will suddenly feel it's more in their best interests to negotiate, now that they see that none of their allies are standing with them.

Though I don't count on it. Not with the irrational behavior we've seen from Iran's leadership in the past.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:27 AM   #7
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

http://www.ding.net/wikileaks/234867.txt

Some of the stuff is just barbaric.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:15 PM   #8
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Did anyone think that the Saudis and the Iranians were allies?
Old 12-13-2010, 02:10 PM   #9
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer View Post
Did anyone think that the Saudis and the Iranians were allies?
I haven't read any of the Wikileaks stuff myself (except at the link Anduril just provided), but my impression of the Iran issue was that it wasn't just Saudi Arabia - it was about everyone in the region. Is that not so?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:36 PM   #10
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Don't know to be honest. All I know is that pretty much every tin pot dictatorship in the region is terrified of Islamic Revolution and loathes Iran with a vengeance.

Which is of course why Western posturing against Iran just plays into Ahmedinejad's hands because he can play the lone voice standing up against Western imperialism.

So yes, I agree with you, having all that stuff out in the open is probably not a bad thing, but more from the point of view of general public information.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:05 PM   #11
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

We live in the age of internet, something like Wikileaks was bound to happen sooner or later.

Such efforts to promote transparency might have an opposite effect, however.

Swedish example from a couple of years ago: A child murder case. As with most judiciary cases, the evidence was open to the public. Some clever person thought that since it all was public, by principle the material should be spread to as many people as possible.
Result #1: Pics from the autopsy were spread far and wide on the web.
Result #2: Due to this incident, the judicial system is now more reluctant to letting evidence be publicly available.

In short, Mr clever person, who wanted more transparency in the judicial system, abused the trust that the public had once enjoyed, resulting in less transparency.

Another example:
Pre- 9/11, CIA, FBI and other organisations had waterproof plugs and very little information leaked. In fact, too little information leaked, as the CIA and FBI failed to share information to one another that could have helped preventing the 9/11 attacks.
As a result of 9/11, the CIA and FBI opened up a bit and became more transparent.
Now, post-Wikileaks, the organisations might go back to their waterproof information plugs. Less transparency.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.

Last edited by Jonathan : 12-17-2010 at 02:10 PM.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote