Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-28-2009, 12:55 AM   #1
TurinTurambar
Sapling

Greatest Warriors

I did not see a thread for this maybe there is already one. However ill start since i had not seen it. Who are the Greatest warriors and why?
Greatest of the elves?
Of men?
Of dwarves?
Of Hobbits?
Overall?
Of the maiar?
Greatest dragon?

Lets see what you got.
TurinTurambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:54 PM   #2
Fool_of_a_Took
Hobbit

While my knowledge of the books may not be as extensive as others', I feel that each race had its stand-out warriors. My opinions are based on the books of the LOTR trilogy...

Elves: Haldir. He was unafraid to aid men when he knew the battle would mean catastrophic losses for his battalion.

Men: Faramir. Without a doubt, the bravest of Gondor's "sons". While Boromir may have been the most successful and most powerful, Faramir threw himself into harm's way to save his city, which ultimately could have killed him.

Dwarves: This one is a bit tough for me, as most of my knowledge is based on only the trilogy, so I'll have to go with the easy choice of Gimli. While his ancestors were happy to sit in their "halls of stone", Gimli selflessly looked out for the good of other races, something very un-characteristic of a dwarf.

Hobbits- Merry. Quick witted and brave, Merry got his group of Hobbit friends out of many a tough scrape and tricked the ents into attacking Isengard

Overall- Again, the obvious choice is mine- Aragorn. Known throughout Middle Earth as being wise and brave, his skill and wit never ceased to amaze me

Good discussion topic, TurinTurambar

"We're flat broke, but hey, we do it in style."
Fool_of_a_Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:12 AM   #3
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Would be different in books or films of course.

Elves: Wasn't it Fingolfin that took on Morgoth and would have had him if he hadn't been a Valar? In the films, there are few Elvish warriors to choose from apart from Haldir. Some might say Arwen, though why she was all warrior-like in one film and dreamy and wet in the others is not really explained.

Men: I'd go for Hurin, another that had a go at Morgoth. Turin was too much of a tosser to take the accolade. Filmwise, surely Aragorn.

Dwarves: they don't get much cover in the books, Dain Ironfoot I would go for. The films didn't feature a dwarfish warrior as far as I can remember, just some clown with a dodgy accent playing it for laughs.

Hobbits: Bandobras Took! In the film, Sam, who fought Shelob.

Overall, I would say Fingolfin. He led the elves back to Middle Earth and kept Morgoth locked up for a few centuries. That's got to be worth a few medals.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 02:50 AM   #4
Count Comfect
Word Santa Claus

I'd really love to see a fantasy league for this..."Ooh, Aragorn takes down another 15 orcs, really piling up the death toll...Hurin's out this week with a lost hand, don't start him."

Greatest dragon? Anyone but Smaug. One arrow? Really?
Maiar: Hmm...I don't really know the older history that well, but I'd say Gandalf was a pretty darn good one. Especially taking down that Balrog.
Elves: There are so many, especially in the ancient days...I'd probably default to Glorfindel, but that's just knee-jerk.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:19 PM   #5
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

Greatest of the elves?
Fingolfin, while Feanor is stated at one point stated to pocess the greatest strength and valour among the Eldar. He was a rash fool in war and battle, and is trapped and killed before he could have a long career. Fingolfin is Hihg King for centuries of warfare and siege, and stands toe to toe with Morgoth, dealing him eight wounds, despite "There is nothing greater in the Arda than the power of Melkor..."

Other candidates: Glorfindal and Ecthelion each deal (and receive) death mano-e-mano with a Balrog. Fingon stands toe to toe with multiple Balrogs and other foes before being beaten.

Of men?
Hurin, a career of fighting, and at the end, after being in the thick of a 6 day battle, being the last survivor the Last Stand of the men of Dor Lomin, and then alone still killing 70 foes out of the guard of Gothmog Lord of Balrogs, not to mention being one of the few, even up the Ainur, who could withstand the direct will and Gaze of Melkor/Morgoth.

Elendil is a candidate, but we have little description of his deeds on the battlefield.

Of dwarves?
Azaghal of Belegost (along with his guard) sets axe and dagger to Galurung, and drive him from the field

Of Hobbits?
Take your Pick for Meriadoc Brandyuck , Peregrin Took, and the Bandobras 'The Bullroarer' Took who could ride a horse and clubed off Golfimbul's head at the Battle of Greenfields.

Overall?
Hurin, he did not loose his cool during the battle of Unumbered Tears, as Fingolgin did after the Battle of the Sudden Flame.

Of the maiar?
Eonwe is repeadly stated to the the foremost in arms of the Ainur.

Greatest dragon?
Not much data to go by. Glaurung seemed to have the most poweful magic, but was twice drvien for the field of battle and slain by a signle mortal warrior.

Ancalagon the Black would be my choice, but based mostly on fearsome reputation, with little actual description of prowess provided.
"Mighty are the Ainur, and mightiest among them is Melkor, but that he may know, and all the Ainur, that I am Iluvatar, those things that ye have sung, I will show them forth, ... And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me,"

Last edited by Lefty Scaevola : 02-23-2010 at 04:39 PM.
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote