Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > The Star Wars Saga
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-10-1999, 09:29 PM   #1
bmilder

Worst book

Some of the EU books were just awful... Children of the Jedi and Planet of Twilight by Barbara Hambly were probably the stupidest ever. Callista was a dumb character. Also bad was the Black Fleet Crisis and the original Han Solo trilogy. That series, by Brian Daley, was the only Star Wars series I failed to finish because it was so boring! The Lando Series was just plain weird, with references to the Trix Rabbit and stuff. What were your least favorite books?
Old 10-21-1999, 11:01 PM   #2
Son of a Hutt

I couldn't finish Lando's trilogy or Slave Ship.
Old 10-23-1999, 04:18 PM   #3
Darth Tater

Re: .

How about those books for the little kids, you know, the journals. Those are sooooooooo bad!
Old 11-03-1999, 07:22 PM   #4
Elrond

I only ever read 'Shadows of the Empire'
Old 11-04-1999, 05:42 AM   #5
Lost in Coruscant

*clutches heart* You have only read "Shadows of the Empire"!?!?!?! One word for you: Library. Got to your library. Get the books there!!!! Black Fleet Crisis was the worse. The absolute worse books in the entire SW universe. All of the characters were 'out of character'. Luke was contradicting himself left and right. The entire Lando thing was only used to get him, Lobot (Why did they even bring him in???), and the droids out of the way. Leia had become such a politician, that I couldn't really believe that she had been our princess kicking Imperial butt. Bring her back, I say! Hambly's books were...boring. And somebody shoot Callista for me.
Old 11-06-1999, 12:41 PM   #6
DarthNut

Ya, DON'T read black Fleet Crisis!
Old 11-22-1999, 03:52 AM   #7
Elanor

I read some of those books--Courtship of Princess Leia, Shadows of the Empire series, I think. They were kind of cheesy.
Old 11-22-1999, 03:52 AM   #8
Elanor

I read some of those books--Courtship of Princess Leia, Shadows of the Empire series, I think. They were kind of cheesy. I prefer my own imagination of what happened afterward!! Maybe I should write a book.
Old 11-23-1999, 01:32 AM   #9
gdl96

i couldnt get through the 1st book of the xwing series some parts of the hand of thrawn series were tough to get through (still a great series, though) im pretty sure ben agrees with me about this- the tonnika sisters short story in tales from jabbas palace was imposible to get through. i read about to pages and barely skimmed through the rest.
Old 11-23-1999, 04:57 AM   #10
anduin

Worst of the Jedi Apprentice Series...

....and if I hear one crack about them being "kid's books.... ....#4: Mark of the Crown, IMO wasn't as good as the previous three. However, #5: Defenders of the Dead is pretty interesting....and that is all I am going to say, cuz I'm sure you don't care anyway :P
Old 11-24-1999, 08:36 PM   #11
gdl96

Re: Worst of the Jedi Apprentice Series...

i dont think anyone here at entmoot reads those 'kids' books, so we wouldnt know how bad they are
Old 11-24-1999, 09:28 PM   #12
anduin

Re: Worst of the Jedi Apprentice Series...

I didn't expect anyone to have read them, I am just contributing to the thread. Besides you don't know who will be at Entmoot tomorrow!!
Old 05-25-2000, 07:30 AM   #13
Guardian 452

I hate these books...

- Children of the Jedi by Barbera Hambly- Callista. Need I say more?
- Darksaber by Kevin J Anderson- it also has Callista, Mara is VERY poorly-written and the whole book was cheesy!
- Planet of Twilight by Barbera Hambly- I'll shoot Callista! I'll shoot Callista! She's such a lump of bantha poodoo!
- Jedi Acadmey trilogy by Kevin J Anderson- anyone notice a pattern here?
- Glove of Darth Vader series- don't bother. It's barely Star Wars!

I LOVE these books...

- Thrawn Trilogy by Timothy Zahn- Tim Zahn for GOD!
- Hand of Thrawn duology by Timothy Zahn- See above. Go Luke and Mara! Any more and it'll be a spoiler ;-)
- X-wing series by Aaron Allston and Micheal A Stackpole- just brilliant! Not to mention funny!
- Onslaught by Micheal A Stackpole- could practically hear the SW soundtrack!
- Truce at Bakura by Kathy Tyers- Brilliant book! Plus, I know the author :-)
- Shadows of the Empire by... would you believe I forgot the authors name? Shame on me!
Old 05-25-2000, 05:07 PM   #14
emilsson

Re: I hate these books...

IMO, the worst book is Darksaber. The only good thing is that I read it fast. Overall I agree with Guardian 452´s opinion on KJA.

Unlike most of you I enjoyed Hambly´s books. Ok, they were pretty hard to get through but she is, IMO, a better writer than KJA.
Old 05-25-2000, 07:07 PM   #15
bmilder

Steve Perry wrote SotE, I believe
Old 05-27-2000, 07:03 AM   #16
Guardian 452

Oh yeah! Thanks for reminding me!

I forgot one that I detested: Black Fleet Crisis! Pathetic. Akanah is nearly worse than Callista!
Old 06-07-2000, 12:42 AM   #17
K haylan

Re: Worst book

bmilder;

The prize for worst character of all has
to be Callista. Yech, blech, blah!

I was dancing when in Zahn's Spectre Of
The Past and Vision Of The Future that....

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

Luke finally realized that Mara Jade was
a far better match for him.

I am hoping though that subsequent books
will not take the 'edge' off her character.

Oh yes...back to topic...worst book...anything
with long-lost-love Callista in it. Sorry Ms.
Hambly.

K'haylan
Old 06-11-2000, 10:53 PM   #18
Niffiwan

Quote:
I couldn't finish Lando's trilogy or Slave Ship.
Actually, I found the Bounty Hunter Wars series pretty good. I read all three books.
Oh, and did you read only Slave Ship out of the series (it's the second book)? Because even I barely got through the first book; Slave Ship is very exciting compared to it.
Old 06-11-2000, 11:11 PM   #19
bmilder

Re: ...

Yeah, me too. I enjoyed the Bounty Hunter Wars series!
Old 06-19-2000, 09:46 PM   #20
Grand Admiral Reese

Re: ...

I'd say that the Callista Trilogy books rank the worst. Those would be CotJ, Darksaber, and Planet of Twilight.